No announcement yet.

SLOVED!!! ANY Ideas?? Spark / Ignition Cutting out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow. I have the EXACT SAME problem. and... I've tried the exact same things to fix it. I used an OE BMW cps from the dealer.
    1989 cirrisblau-metallic 325i

Comment

Originally posted by SpecM View Post
      Wow. I have the EXACT SAME problem. and... I've tried the exact same things to fix it. I used an OE BMW cps from the dealer.
      Dude, I've never been able to not solve things on this car... I've had it six years now.. NEVER have i been this frustrated. Seems like the following should fix it and ive done it all.

New 173
      Miller Maf
      BRAND NEW under hood harness
      New plugs / wires / cap / rotor
      New coil
      New Relays
      New CPS

ITS ALL NEW!!!

1988 325is - Track Toy
      1986 325e - Daily Driver

Lovin the e30's

Comment

new dme? really?

I'm stumped

Comment

Another possible issue is a bad harmonic balancer that's separated causing the ring around that the cps uses to not spin with the engine causing issues with timing.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2
          -Build http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=295277

Comment

Originally posted by FLG View Post
            Another possible issue is a bad harmonic balancer that's separated causing the ring around that the cps uses to not spin with the engine causing issues with timing.

Ive had the harmonic balancer off this summer when i did the timing belt. Isnt it one piece?? I mean it has the pulley that sits inside it that can separate.. But I thought the toothed wheel (its heavy too) Was one solid chunk??

1988 325is - Track Toy
            1986 325e - Daily Driver

Lovin the e30's

Comment

I might be wrong but I think tho solid it is 2 pieces with rubber holding it to the center. Check Google I'm currently on my phone and its a bit hard to search.

Comment

anyone else have an idea?

Comment

Here are some of my current thoughts all sparked by FLG.

I know that when I reinstalled my harmonic dampened toothed wheel / pulley assembly, I didn't bother to look up torque specs. I just tightened down to what I thought was good. This method would most likely not give the five bolts a uniform torque... Wonder if it causes a vibration of some sort at certain rpms??

Also here is news specific to my car. Don't know what it means but who has a thought on this?? I can never ever no matter how hard I try, replicate the cut / loss of timing in neutral aka under no load really. I can rev all matter of ways to all its usual trouble rpms. Never can I make it cut.

However, the second I put it in gear and pull up to speed with some authority (not flat foot but closer to it) I can make it cut every time. Damn. So it's load related. Also, it happens more when it's colder outside... Take that all for what it's worth.

Who has ideas on that??

1988 325is - Track Toy
                  1986 325e - Daily Driver

Lovin the e30's

Comment

Nah that wouldn't cause an issue. Most people prob never torque those to spec.

I remember doing this for weeks and it turned out to be the c101 connector. I know you cleaned it but clean it more, remove the rubber boots and inspect all the wires.

Comment

Ok I'll for sure give it another go..

I just find it so Weird that it only happens under load. Can never replicate it when just in neutral.

1988 325is - Track Toy
                      1986 325e - Daily Driver

Lovin the e30's

Comment

Originally posted by ct3155 View Post
                        Ok I'll for sure give it another go..

I just find it so Weird that it only happens under load. Can never replicate it when just in neutral.
                        Same issue I had.

Comment

more often than not, my car is doing the same thing but at lower rpms, ie when comming to a stop with clutch in and rpms droping. it will cut off sometimes

stomp test shows code 1261 - fuel pump relay control, which indicates an issue with rpm signal (usually)

Comment

bump for help

Comment

This is absolutely nuts. I am and have been experiencing the exact same issues with my 89is. CT u describe it exactly the same as my issues. Its WACK I threw a different DME in and the car stopped cutting out under load and pulled well past the 4000rpm mark where it would cut out/engine check flash/ etc. However, it still had the little hiccup/check engine flash/cut out/return to normal after having been driven for a while, not particularly under heavy load or anything. I kept driving her for about 100 miles last week while using that DME the hiccups have stopped, but I have a hard time duplicating the problem when I want to. You solve this annoying shit for yourself yet?

'87 325
                              '89 325is
                              '90 325i
                              '67 Buick Skylark --SOLD 5/2015--

Comment

Nope. Hadn't quite solved it yet. I've cleaned the connectors super well and even put dielectric greese in them... Still having the issue!!

Luckily for me the problem is in my summer toy. So I've since put it away for winter and will continue to (slowly) diagnose when I have the time. I am currently driving the winter vehicle hahaha! Bone stock 325e. No cutting out there!!!

Honestly the only thing I can think of to try swapping out dmes again. I have only used one 173... It was known good.. But maybe not with the increased vibration from the solid motor and trans mounts. I will report back when I get my hands on another 173

1988 325is - Track Toy
                                1986 325e - Daily Driver

Lovin the e30's

Comment

Working...
                                X