Stitched rewrapping review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stitched rewrapping review

So I wanted to give a unbiased review of Stitched rewrapping service.

The what:

I had my Mtech II wheel redone. I paid $130 plus $25 to ship it out to her. She paid shipping back. I had NO padding added, and had the wheel done in a 'm-stitching' with top grain black leather.

The good:

Rewrap time was quick. Communication was excellent, Leather is tightly wrapped and high quality. Wheel feels very good in the hands. Thread is of high quality.

The bad:

The only thing I could classify as 'bad' about the rewrap job would be where the thread is tied off, when you run your hand over it it catches. I'm not a sewing wizard but I assume there is a way to remedy this so that you don't have these sharp/pokey thread spots. For the price I am not complaining.

The ugly:

I realized after I got the wheel into my hands that the thread colors are red, blue, and green. An m-color stitch would be red, blue and purple (dark blue). This is the only thing that I found disappointing. I looked back over her original thread and she called it 'm-stitching' in the add, and it was the red, blue, and green. This is on me. I made an assumption, and I didn't take the time to verify. It's clear it was going to be done in red, blue and green. I'm not sure if this was a conscience choice, an error, or an assumption (///M logo'd floor mat in one of the photos has red, blue, green) to pick these colors (but I would be interested in knowing). It is just one of those things you can't un-see and is slightly annoying. I'll get over it. I just hope that this is remedied in the future.

Final thoughts:

For $140 (current price) plus shipping this service is absolutely worth it. Everything else that I found was in the $250-$300 range. I think that there are a few things that could be improved upon, but nothing glaringly obvious. I would do it again in a heart beat, even if I got the same stitching colors. It is absolutely a great value. I think that after a few more wheels, it will become a 10/10 service.

I would rate my experience at a 8/10 the wrong color thread drags down my thoughts on the wheel, I think that this should have been right, even though no one caught it or brought it up. The stitching ends also brought down the wheel down for me.

WORTH IT.

Last edited by ST1G; 12-04-2014, 10:52 AM.

Nice review! I've been hesitant about shipping such a pricy wheel to a fairly new member. Glad to hear everything went well for the most part and I'm sure others will be too.

1992 M tech 2 Convertible - S50 Swap
    1992 e34 Touring- S50 Swap
    1992 325i-S50 Swap (SOLD)

1995 e36 M3 Mugello Red - S50 (SOLD)
    1991 325i Convertible Laguna Green (SOLD)
    1987 325i (SOLD);1992 M tech 2 Convertible (SOLD)
    1988 325i Convertible Alpine White (SOLD)
    Brilliantrot Convertible 80k Miles (SOLD)
    1992 325i Convertible Schwarz (SOLD)
    1992 318i Convertible Project-Finished (SOLD)

Comment

Having the stitching the wrong colour is comical.

SILBER COMBAT UNIT DELTA (M-Technic Marshal)
      RTFM:http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=56950

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Smoodiver View Post
        Having the stitching the wrong colour is comical.
        Bingo.
        @IRON-E30 aka Edwin:D

Comment

Alpi/Ma colours ?
          Lorin

Originally posted by slammin.e28
          The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

That's very strange that it is coming off as green. The thread is color matched to 2014 steering wheel M stitching. I will have to double check on it, I suppose.

Thanks for the good review, other than the color bothering you. Very sorry about that.

OEM stitching
            sigpic
            For all inquiries PM me or email: sales@stitchedwheels.com
            ig:stitchedwheels

Comment

May just have to go to a purely light blue thread, rather than trying to get the turquoise color.
              sigpic
              For all inquiries PM me or email: sales@stitchedwheels.com
              ig:stitchedwheels

Comment

Originally posted by stitched View Post
                May just have to go to a purely light blue thread, rather than trying to get the turquoise color.
                I think a light blue and a dark blue/violet match best with the red.

Thanks for the replay and the PM.

Comment

Good review!

Originally posted by stitched View Post
                  That's very strange that it is coming off as green. The thread is color matched to 2014 steering wheel M stitching. I will have to double check on it, I suppose.

Thanks for the good review, other than the color bothering you. Very sorry about that.
                  Stitched, I am presuming you are the Missray that Stig referred to?

I have a wacky request:

I want to have my steering wheel rewrapped, but don't want the brand-new leather look. I want to somehow have a light patina... is there a distressed leather that would fit the bill?
                  I Timothy 2:1-2

Comment

Yep, I edited the first post to represent that.

Comment

That looks like great quality

Comment

Should have put my pics and review on this thread but I am really happy with my airbag wheel. Here's my recent post:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I'll piggy back on this review as well, I hope you don't mind.

I sent my wheel out to stitched for a rewrap over the Holidays. It took some time and that wasn't an issue as I expected as much and I wasn't in a rush. I had sent a few PMs asking for updates occasionally and he was fast to get back to me. Overall it was an OK dealing. I had some issues though and I wanted to share with the community.

I was told he redid my wheel as he wasn't happy with the original job and this added to the longer than normal turn around time as well as the holidays. I was happy to hear that he wanted to make sure it was right. I wasn't in a rush for the wheel so it wasn't an issue as far as the wait. When it was ready, he shipped it back in the same box I sent it to him in. It was packaged well and arrived in great shape. The day after the wheel was sent out I got a message that he forgot to make the cutout for the M-Tech badge. He offered for me to send it back and he would make the cut or I could do it myself and he'd mail me the badge. It seemed silly to send it back so I said I'd do it myself and to just mail me the badge when he got a chance. He was very helpful in explaining how to make the cut for the badge. The badge never showed so I sent a PM asking if he'd sent it, he said he'd forgot and send it out that day. No harm no foul, it wasn't a big deal. Later I received tracking and I thought nothing of it.

I later found out it was sent to the wrong address. He apparently grabbed an old address off my paypal instead of the address I sent to him several times and the address the wheel was shipped to. He originally said he'd send me a replacement and I haven't heard back from him since. At the end of the day, it's just a badge and I can buy a replacement.

Overall the work seems pretty good, especially given the price. It's nice to have someone offering these services to the community, especially since some others have since fallen off the boards. I have some glue to try and get off the wheel that I'm assuming was part of redoing the wheel. It hopefully will come off without too much trouble. The stitching is tight and the colors seem to be the correct ones now. The back has some gaps, but you won't see it when mounted.

Overall, the work is pretty good, just stinks about the badge as he has replied to several threads since my PM was sent.

Here are the pictures, sorry for the long winded post:

Comment

Originally posted by kid8 View Post
                            I'll piggy back on this review as well, I hope you don't mind.
                            Not a problem. Thanks for the review. I'm sorry to hear about your M-Tech badge debacle. I personally don't find that kind of thing excusable. When you provide a service and you make a mistake, you absolutely make sure you fix the issue on the double. Not making sure your badge gets back to you, or purchasing a new one for you is not excusable in my book. I am glad to see the stitching color was corrected. Mine irks me a little, but I'm over it. I also have the glue on the inside. I can't see it from the outside so I don't mind it.

Quick update to mine. I've been using mine for a few months now and it's not terrible. On the back of the right side the stitching has come a little loose, but it's not bad. The lather has tightened up a bit. I would still rate it at a 8/10.

Comment

Originally posted by ST1G View Post
                              Not a problem. Thanks for the review. I'm sorry to hear about your M-Tech badge debacle. I personally don't find that kind of thing excusable. When you provide a service and you make a mistake, you absolutely make sure you fix the issue on the double. Not making sure your badge gets back to you, or purchasing a new one for you is not excusable in my book. I am glad to see the stitching color was corrected. Mine irks me a little, but I'm over it. I also have the glue on the inside. I can't see it from the outside so I don't mind it.

Quick update to mine. I've been using mine for a few months now and it's not terrible. On the back of the right side the stitching has come a little loose, but it's not bad. The lather has tightened up a bit. I would still rate it at a 8/10.
                              Thanks. I agree with you, at first I wasn't so mad, but after thinking about it more and seeing him post on the forum and ignore my PMs I got upset. I was annoyed more when I had to order a new badge from Blunt, at least I know with him everything will be great like always.

I won't send any more items to Stitched in the future and I won't recommend him to anyone either. It's a shame because the work is pretty good, great for the price.

Comment

Working...
                              X