No announcement yet.

AC not getting any colder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One more question. I was watching a few youtube videos and I noticed they vacuumed the high and low side. When I add freon, do I need to do anything special for the high side or can I just add freon to the low side? Sorry, haven't worked on an AC system before.

Comment

Both sides are interconnected. AFAIK you only have to pull vacuum on 1 port ("side") in the system, and the whole thing will go to the same vacuum equilibrium point.

Comment

Originally posted by CorvallisBMW View Post
        Both sides are interconnected. AFAIK you only have to pull vacuum on 1 port ("side") in the system, and the whole thing will go to the same vacuum equilibrium point.
        Correct. When I did my 134a conversion, I only pulled a vacuum on the low side.
        IMG_0145 by Jonathan Martin, on Flickr

Comment

Here is one easy thing to check when you have the system open to atmospheric pressure. If the system has been charged without any knowledge of HVAC or just unknown. Most of the time the system will contain excess lubricant and leak detector dye if the DIYer hasn't charged with straight R134A. A quick check to set the lubricant level in the compressor is to remove the high pressure line from the condenser. Turn the engine/compressor over. This will blow out the excess lubricant from the compressor. Excess lubricant decreases system capacity and can flood the compressor. Place the high pressure line in a milk jug or such so that the lubricant doesn't spray everywhere. I realize that the manufacture will specify the proper lubricant for the system. To preclude compressor removal and the associate lines to evacuate excess lubricant this process works well and saves the toil of dis-assembly of a large part of the system. I also realize that if the system was overfilled with lubricant then some pooling in the condenser will occur. The only cure for that is to pull it, drain and clean excess.

Comment

Working...
          X