Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

G240 Likes to Whine

Hello,

I have a bit of a whiny issue with my '91 318iS.

It seems to be coming from the transmission and it only happens when the clutch is engaged (never without). I can provide a small sound clip if it would make things easier, but it's louder/more noticeable at low speeds and the pitch increases with speed.

I'm sure its not the diff as that has just had new fluid along with driveshaft oil seals.

Help much appreciated

throwout bearing
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by glnr13 View Post
      throwout bearing
      Cool.

I'm guessing its also a good idea to replace the clutch disk itself and pressure plate while I'm in there too. Is the Sachs Kit a good buy?

Comment

it only happens when the clutch is engaged (never without)
        If you mean, when your foot's on the pedal it whines, then I agree, throwout (or long shot, pilot)

Yes, the Sachs kit is proven to be good value for money.

t
        now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Originally posted by TobyB View Post
          If you mean, when your foot's on the pedal it whines, then I agree, throwout (or long shot, pilot)

Yes, the Sachs kit is proven to be good value for money.

t
          Ahh, sorry for the confusion, it whines when my foot is not on the pedal - when the car is in gear and I am accelerating.

Thanks

Comment

Then that is not the throw out bearing

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
            sigpic

Comment

Would replacing the tranny fluid be of any benefit too?

Quick Video where you can here the whine. From about 00:26 when I pull away in 1st gear.

Comment

Sure, try the fluid, but don't get your hopes up.

Transmission whine usually means countershaft (layshaft) bearing failure.

t
                now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Ouch. Doesn't sound too fun!

Might have to be on the lookout for a new box - it might be cheaper than the costs associated with fixing it/getting it fixed.

Thanks for the help!

Comment

Working...
                  X