ZF-320 shifter issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ZF-320 shifter issue

Just m52 swapped my '85 325e and used the zf320 box that was on the engine. I am using the 328is shifter assembly that also was with engine and trans. I drove the car prior to purchasing(wrecked in the ass end). All gears were easy to shift into.

In my e30 however, the 3rd and 5th gears seem to pop out. The shifter seems to be biased towards the front and to the right. It seems to be barely engaging due to hitting the front of the hole where the shifter comes through allowing it to pop out.

Any idea what would cause this? Everything seems to be lined up.
    sigpic
    325e Schwartz coupe(02/85) OBDII M52B28+ZF320 swapped

have you checked the shifter clearance on your driveshaft harmonic balancer?

1989 Coupe build thread: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=312012
    IG: @mitchlikesbikes

Comment

Originally posted by mitchlikesbikes View Post
      have you checked the shifter clearance on your driveshaft harmonic balancer?
      Sure haven't. I had a shop do the swap since my work schedule is hectic. He mentioned I need to purchase a ssk, which in time I will, but I just didn't think it was a necessity. It almost looks like the rubber boot on top is not getting in the way of it going all they way in. Shifter just seems way too far forward...
      sigpic

Comment

I don't know if this helps, but my car was popping out of 2nd because the boot leather was too tight. I removed the shifter boot and never had a problem again.

Comment

Originally posted by packratbimmer View Post
          I don't know if this helps, but my car was popping out of 2nd because the boot leather was too tight. I removed the shifter boot and never had a problem again.
          I figured this to be the issue as well, I removed the shift boot and still have the issue. Almost seems like the rubber boot is causing the problem.
          sigpic

Comment

Working...
          X