No announcement yet.

Cheap/Basic M42 Mods.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

whoops...i was referring to my bastardised engine....somebody had retarded the sprocket one tooth. editted to save misinformation
    - Chris
    Project M42 - 255 @ 19 psi

Comment

Turbo.

Comment

Originally posted by tjts1 View Post
        So you're going to take on that Integra after all?
        :up:
        hell yeah! :hitler:

1991 BMW 318i (Old Shell RIP, Now Being Re-shelled & Reborn)
        1983 Peugeot 505 STI
        1992 Volvo 240 Wagon
        2009 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Sport 4WD

Comment

Originally posted by Danny View Post
          Turbo.
          I would, but everyone on Turbobricks would kill me, as I still haven't turbocharged my Volvo 240.

1991 BMW 318i (Old Shell RIP, Now Being Re-shelled & Reborn)
          1983 Peugeot 505 STI
          1992 Volvo 240 Wagon
          2009 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Sport 4WD

Comment

Originally posted by freeride53 View Post
            hell yeah! :hitler:
            Good man. You can use a lot of JY volvo parts. Here is the list:
            22# injectors, See here.

960 cooling fan.

Ditch the PS pump. Drain the rack and block it off.

Get some spark plug wires off an 850. The 4 longest ones will fit the M42 perfectly. Way cheaper than M42 wires. I bet urs are toast.

Search fleabay for the proformance chip. It works. use 91.
            Fix the intake

Ditch as much weight as you can.
            good luck

Comment

i straight up outran a kid here with a modded GSR teggy from a dig, but onthe highway, he obliverated me. lol
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by dlmrun2002 View Post
                Intake cam is adjustable. Advance it 4 degrees and get a chip.
                Originally posted by E30SPDFRK View Post
                I've heard about this, but I thought I read 6 degrees. What kind of difference does this really make?
                Originally posted by e30guydownunder View Post
                RE: adjustable cams. The slots in the cam gears give you +/- 6 degrees on the standard settings. By moving them you can change the lobe seperation basically, all your doing is moving the power and torque curves around, you can get a few hp out of it but apparently absolutely kills your bottom end.
                So true. I had a money shift while winding out my car, it immediately started running poorly. Drove it for a few days assuming I had bent an exhaust valve or two, ended up pulling the valve cover and lo and behold, when I money shifted it jerked the intake cam on the chain so hard it rotated on the 4 bolts that hold the cam gear to the cam. Re-adjusted the gear and the car ripped again.

Take the heater plate out of the intake if you have it and dump a ton of old hoses just waiting to give you hell in the process.
                Had to do it on my car. Got it free from the PO when he upgraded to an e46, and it either went to me or the junkyard. It had been taken apart to cure a vacuum leak which he assumed was the upper intake gasket, turned out to be part of the snakepit under the intake. It's amazing how much unnecessary garbage is under there.

The M20 flywheel is a nice mod, I've done it. You want a single mass M20 flywheel. And if you can bear it dump p/s and a/c. Also if you throw an electric fan on you can free up a few hp there.
                Not only will you shave a few pounds with the m20 flywheel, lower your rotational mass, but you'll be able to go to a single mass flywheel, which you can get resurfaced later. Most shops won't resurface a DM flywheel. M20 flywheel is a very worthwhile upgrade.

Comment

Also, I've got a 318i. No LSD for me. Blew the stock open diff in the snow last year at 175k. I replaced it with a 2.93LSD. It's effectively turned my 5 speed into a 3 speed. It's a hoot around town. 43mph in 1st gear, 82 in second, 120 in 3rd, but not in 4th or 5th. No power to pull it. It's taken quite a few cars by surprise from a dig, not because it's got tons of power, or it's really quick, or anything like that, but because I don't have to spend the time on the 1-2 upshift. Had a few kills, surprisingly. Only problem is that stoplight-to-stoplight repeats are horrible, as the clutch is on its way out. Repeated launches end with slippage.

Comment

Coil On Plug Kit

http://www.m42club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9122

Comment

Originally posted by Bin_jammin View Post
                      Also, I've got a 318i. No LSD for me. Blew the stock open diff in the snow last year at 175k. I replaced it with a 2.93LSD. It's effectively turned my 5 speed into a 3 speed. It's a hoot around town. 43mph in 1st gear, 82 in second, 120 in 3rd, but not in 4th or 5th. No power to pull it. It's taken quite a few cars by surprise from a dig, not because it's got tons of power, or it's really quick, or anything like that, but because I don't have to spend the time on the 1-2 upshift. Had a few kills, surprisingly. Only problem is that stoplight-to-stoplight repeats are horrible, as the clutch is on its way out. Repeated launches end with slippage.
                      LOL
                      I swapped in a 3.64 which made the car livable but I always wondered what would happen with an ETA diff. Maybe i'll try it just for shits and giggles.

Comment

Originally posted by tjts1 View Post
                        LOL
                        I swapped in a 3.64 which made the car livable but I always wondered what would happen with an ETA diff. Maybe i'll try it just for shits and giggles.
                        I've got to be perfectly honest, it's driveable once you get it wound up. I've been teetering on the fence of whether I want to keep this car and boost it with that diff, or dump it and find another celica. The car's already stupid enough with the diff, real powah on it would make it keep-worthy. Personally I think a 3.64 or 3.73 on an m42 NA would be ideal for best of both worlds real world driving. 4.10 is great for around town, but it kinda sucks on the highway.

If I'm doing 65mph in 5th I can downshift into second and have 1600rpm left to wind out. If I do 65 in 5th on flat ground the car gets like 38mpg.

Comment

Bin- that's hysterical, i often wondered about a 293 when I had my M42

this thread is making me miss it...I love the m20 grunt, but miss the light weight goodness of the 318is...
                          BEERTECH

Comment

Rob, my car's such a hooptie that it just fits. I'll have to take pics and put them up sometime.

Comment

So wth is a 325i drive pinion? where can i get one at? I want to do the 325i clutch set-up. I'm assuming the 325es is the same correct?

Comment

Originally posted by ThaiRacer View Post
                                So wth is a 325i drive pinion? where can i get one at? I want to do the 325i clutch set-up. I'm assuming the 325es is the same correct?

No, be careful as apparently there are dual mass eta flywheels out there.

Comment

Working...
                                X