pad suggestions for a first time HPDE?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SmokeE30 View Post
    Not gonna say that hp+ are a track pad but at summit point last weekend the ls1 swapped e30 my buddy was running did surprisingly well with stock brakes with hp+ pads. 135+ on the straight down to ~55 for the turn braking at the 450 mark. The pads never lost grip but did need increased pedal effort once they got hot and they were seeing temps well a over 750f which is what the brakes were when we checked them once it pulled back to the paddock. Not ideal as I'm pretty sure it cooked all the grease out of the wheel bearings, but they worked the whole time and didn't disappear as I feared they might.

The drive gear se30 cars were doing just fine brake wise with stock everything with hawk blues even without ducts.
    It sounds like your buddy was staying just inside the HP+ temperature range. The problem is that when you exceed it, they go away. You suddenly have no brakes.

Given how expensive the HP+ is, there is NO reason to run them on track. Keep them on the street or cone packing where they belong.

(Also, 135ish with an LS1 means that your buddy wasn't pushing hard. That's S50US territory.)
    2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD LBZ/Allison
    2002 BMW M3 Alpinweiß/Black
    1999 323i GTS2 Alpinweiß
    1995 M3 Dakargelb/Black
    - S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
    1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan
    1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black

Hers: 1996 Porsche 911 Turbo Black/Black
    Hers: 1988 325iX Coupe Diamantschwartz/Black 5spd

sigpic

Comment

This is interesting. I have an S52 swapped E30 with stock brakes. The HP+ have been awesome at PIR, but I did have a weird thing off the back straight last track day where I suddenly felt like the brakes weren't there. They came back fast, but still...unsettling. I ran CoolCarbon last year, but they overheated once at the track and from there on out were shit in all circumstances. Never again. I may try the Carbotech.
      sigpic

2014 GTI | 2002 Land Cruiser | 1991 Volvo 745t

Comment

Yup, you're describing the HP+ pads pushed outside their temp range.
        2017 Chevrolet SS, 6MT
        95 M3/2/5 (S54 and Mk60 DSC, CARB legal, Build Thread)
        98 M3/4/5 (stock)

Comment

Originally posted by nrubenstein View Post
          It sounds like your buddy was staying just inside the HP+ temperature range. The problem is that when you exceed it, they go away. You suddenly have no brakes.

Given how expensive the HP+ is, there is NO reason to run them on track. Keep them on the street or cone packing where they belong.

(Also, 135ish with an LS1 means that your buddy wasn't pushing hard. That's S50US territory.)
          It's $55 drift tire limited the m20 car our friends were runing was 135-140 because it could enter the straight so much faster.
          Shawn @ Bimmerbuddies
          Bimmerbuddies LLC
          717-388-1256
          2971a Roundtop Rd, Middletown PA 17057
          bimmerbuddiesllc@gmail.com

Comment

Working...
          X