No power steering on an M30-powered E30

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No power steering on an M30-powered E30

Is it a viable option? Is it a good or bad idea, in your opinion?
    I´m just wondering, before I finish gathering stuff needed for the M30 swap underway, since is somewhat common on stock-engine E30´s to delete the power steering pump. But with the added weight of the M30 it might not be such a good idea. Or perhaps there´s not that much of a difference. I ran my 318 with no p/s for quite a while with no problems at all, in fact I liked it. I wish to keep it that way once the M30 is powering it. I have no plans on changing anything in the rack, no 5-lug swap or anything like that at least in the near future. Feel free to share your experiences/opinions on the matter.
    1998 528i auto on staggered DSII

Whatever you do, there is no excuse for not putting an E36 rack in there. If you delete AC it's not a massive amount more weight on the front wheels compared to an autotragic 325i, which drove fine with no PS. The usual parking caveat applies.
    '89 335is +turbo

Comment

Originally posted by Lurker27 View Post
      Whatever you do, there is no excuse for not putting an E36 rack in there.
      +1
      You'll be fine if you keep it as is, and just delete the pump, but if you have the option, now's the time.
      Slicktop City!

Comment

If you go with wider tires, it makes it more difficult to turn the car at lower speeds but once you get going it's not a big deal.
        Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

Should feel the same m20/m30.

Take off the PS stuff for what?
          HP gain that is within the margin of
          error on a dyno? Give/take 2hp (nothing).

Remove 5lbs including reservoir from the engine. Yeah really
          worth not being able to drive comfortably.

Comment

^I hear ya, but some people say they like the feel better - to each their own.

Hopefully someday people will stop going ape-shit over the m30's (little) weight that it adds to the front - it's getting old.
            Originally posted by Matt-B
            hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

Originally posted by george graves View Post

Hopefully someday people will stop going ape-shit over the m30's (little) weight that it adds to the front - it's getting old.
              +1, I have A/C and Power steering up front and love it! I like to believe that my e30 actually handles and sits on the road better since swapping the m30 in. ;)
              ///Monstrosity. (OO≡≡[][]≡≡OO)

Aside from showing yourself to be offensive, lacking experience and ignorant in the ways of business, you're also illiterate and imprudent. Beyond that, your sense of liability is severely impaired.

Comment

A/C has been deleted already, and it´s not going back in. I will definitely go with wider wheels/tires at some point, so maybe I´ll keep the M30 steering pump after all....no need to get all riled up over a couple horses, that was never the issue. I mean, I didn´t delete the P/S on the M42 for the hp it might have been robbing -which was minimal-, but for the different feel of the car. IMO it felt better without it. In the case of the M30 it makes even less sense to delete P/S to gain ...what? 0.01 hp?. If I did delete it from the M30 (which I don´t think I will, thanks to your input, guys) it would have been for the increased feel, stimuli, or fun factor if you will...
                Jean, your attention to detail in your swap is legendary already. Looking good!
                on the other topic, what´s the big deal with the e36 rack?
                1998 528i auto on staggered DSII

Comment

the e36 rack is quicker. Lots of threads on here all about what rack to pick, ratios, ect.
                  Originally posted by Matt-B
                  hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

I just got my AKG hardware for the e36 rack swap the other day. I am doing it for two reasons, my stock e30 rack is leaking a little bit and doing an e36 rack swap should be an improvement in steering response (going from the 4 lock to lock to a 3.2 ratio).
                    Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

Originally posted by Jean View Post
                      (going from the 4 lock to lock to a 3.2 ratio).
                      Sounds like fun, I need to do this also as my stock rack leaks like a sieve!

IMO e30 power steering is just right, it's not overly heavy, but not too light either - I have driven around with no power steering before but didn't like it all that much.
                      ///Monstrosity. (OO≡≡[][]≡≡OO)

Aside from showing yourself to be offensive, lacking experience and ignorant in the ways of business, you're also illiterate and imprudent. Beyond that, your sense of liability is severely impaired.

Comment

I have no power steering on my B34 swap, I love the increased feel at speed, but in parking situations it can get a bit hairy.
                        1987 325i-M60b44 swap

Comment

I'd prefer PS. I drove without it for 2 weeks due to a busted belt and when i put it back on it felt so good! My rack crapped out on me so i'll be doing the e36 rack swap, can't wait!

Comment

Working...
                          X