Starter Woes...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starter Woes...

Went to turn the key, and no starter action.

Troubleshooting list:

1. "Common Ground - Coming off of the stock motor bracket you will have to come up with something on your own if you use the custom brackets. Since I used the original motor mount brackets I just ran it to the ground bolt provided by BMW on the passenger side. Your car will not start if you don't make this connection. Check the wire to make sure it is in good shape."

Main strap from harness to starter

and then the connections for the piece of harness that runs from alternator to starter - is that is or is there another 12v red wire that needs to plug in?
    '89 335is +turbo

I don't quite understand the question? But at the very minimum you need the yellow/black wire to engage the starter solenoid, and constant 12v (from battery) to the positive post on the starter motor.

Be sure your engine is properly grounded too.
    ///Monstrosity. (OO≡≡[][]≡≡OO)

Aside from showing yourself to be offensive, lacking experience and ignorant in the ways of business, you're also illiterate and imprudent. Beyond that, your sense of liability is severely impaired.

Comment

I was kind of unsure what I was asking at the time too... The issue turned out to be the auto->manual swap wiring to make the car think it's in park
      '89 335is +turbo

Comment

hey man its Dave, did you figure this out? the neutral safety switch is pretty simple to delete.

Comment

Car is cranking now but weakly - battery has sat for 9 months so probably needs a fresh jump.

Not sure if the fuel pump is turning on, probably need new relays and/or re-hotwire the fuel pump (stock wiring corroded bad when the m20 was still in)
          '89 335is +turbo

Comment

Update - Starter Solenoid clicks, no crank

lights go out with key in position 3, suggesting a bad ground
            '89 335is +turbo

Comment

did you do anything with the battery still sounds like it could be that.

Comment

I use 2 grounding straps. One on each side.
                The stock grounding strap was too weak for my car.

But that wouldn't be your problem anyways.
                Even a light touch will get the starter turning.

It's probably the battery. Check the volts.

Comment

I have tried jumping it with 3 separate cars now. The battery reads low (11.6v) before hooking up the donor car. When hooked up, i get voltage as high as 13.8v at the main power sources as well as at the starter power strap.

Are there any tests i can do with a multimeter to troubleshoot a short or bad ground? I still think it's ground related since the cabin lights and display lights completely shut off when i attempt to crank.

anything i should check before removing the starter? Removing the starter with the engine in position 3 should be a pretty dreadful task.
                  '89 335is +turbo

Comment

UPDATE:

1. Engine won't crank, but starter is definitely hooked up properly - it makes a horrible grinding noise (i'll upload video) like the teeth are slipping in the flywheel or something. Like a series of loud grinding.

2. Engine does not crank by hand, with spark plugs removed. Tranny is in neutral, this is without having someone drop the clutch (hasn't been bled).

So, either the starter gear is jammed in my flywheel (seems unlikely), the engine is seized (turned over by hand fine before, but was very difficult if the cam wasn't lubed recently?)...or something in the tranny is messed up, like in:

This thread....but I don't recall there being a tube or guide, and everything in the clutch for the g260 seems to only install 1 way.

ANY ideas you guys have are welcome, I'm going to lube up/PB blaster the cam and cylinders and let it sit overnight then try to turn things by hand again I think.

So, my thinking is
                    '89 335is +turbo

Comment

Incorrect starter pinion to flywheel ring gear causing it to jam can most definitely be a likely cause of your problem.

Pull the tail shaft off the output flange on the gearbox and verify that it spins in neutral indicating your gearbox is not the cause.

If it spins, remove the starter and go from there. I feel your frustration dude.

Aside from showing yourself to be offensive, lacking experience and ignorant in the ways of business, you're also illiterate and imprudent. Beyond that, your sense of liability is severely impaired.

Comment

pretty sure my engine is seized, time to unseize it
                        '89 335is +turbo

Comment

Soaking in Marvel mystery oil now, checking my flywheel bolts and probably need to pull the starter in case the gear is jammed.
                          '89 335is +turbo

Comment

Originally posted by Lurker27 View Post
                            need to pull the starter in case the gear is jammed.
                            Win

Comment

I hope so, because I do NOT want to pull this engine - I'd sooner pull the oilpan and head. This attitude ensures the problem is in the transmission. :(
                              '89 335is +turbo

Comment

Working...
                              X