b32 vs b35 swap needs questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

b32 vs b35 swap needs questions

Well a local guy near me is pulling his rebuilt motor from his 633csi and offered it to me for very cheap. Everything except the trans. Electronic, wiring, ecu, etc.

All for 250 bucks. So the question is. I have been going through the threads and looking at what I will need. Are the mounts realy different form the b35 swaps? If so, does anyone make them? I rather not spend the time making them. Though I do have the tools to do so.

Can anyone point out what all esle is different between the motors that I would have to keep in mind? Just seeing what extra stuff I would have to do.

No help....hmmm

Comment

Since I think I'm the only one besides rs4pro3 to do a b32 swap, I'll chip in. I'll try to cover all the bases here.

The mounts are different from b35 mounts. However, they are the same as b34 mounts. I got mine from Joe Funk way back but I doubt you could get them from him now. I guess your only option would be 300mm.de, the specific link being:

As far as everything else goes, you can use it all, but you won't want to. Depending on what car you would be putting it in, wiring could possibly be a huge PITA, considering you'd likely have to downgrade your motronic. The b32's used flywheel sensors, unlike the b35's cps, and there are a few more differences. The original wiring would be useless, unless you plan on using the original motronic. Again, depending on the e30 you have you could use your engine harness or the one from a b35.

The most obvious option there (i.e. what I did) was to upgrade the b32 to motronic 1.3, which actually isn't that difficult. You need, all from a b35, a Crank pulley, 027 AFM, CPS Bracket, ECU, and an ICV, which cost me about 200 bucks extra. Oh, and you'll need bigger injectors, since the b32 runs stock with lower impedance injectors, while motronic 1.3 is designed for high impedance 19 lb injectors. Which are easy to find.

If the engine comes with a power steering pump you could use that, otherwise I used the one from my e30, with a custom bracket. I also used the e30 alternator, which fit into the existing bracket and worked fine.

You'll need a b35 oil pan and pump, much like you would in a b34.

You'll also need a big guibo driveshaft, preferably one from super eta, since it bolts right up.

And you'll need a bfh for your firewall.

I think that's about it. Many people will say it isn't worth it, but I think mine worked out just fine. I ended up spending about $200 on my motor so you may try to talk him down depending on the mileage. Also, depending on the year of the engine, the early b32 has a hotter cam (272), so you'll get a higher revving m30 than a b34 or b35, with only about 12 or so less hp and torque than a b34.

Besides, then you'll have a REAL 333i ;)
      Originally posted by LJ851
      I programmed my oven to turn off when my pizza was done, should i start a build thread?

Feedback

Comment

cool, thanks.

My car is a 85 325e with a m20b25, so it is the earlier harness.

though i don't mind downgrading temporarly, it is and will be getting a ms set up on it eventually. So that isn't an issue.

The motor has less then 10k miles on it since the rebuild. so it would be worth it I think. That I and think I have a buyer for my motor as well. So I'll be buying this for 250 and selling mine for 700. lol that should cover some of the swap stuff I need.

I am not to worried about beating the hell out of the fire wall either. I already have to cut out the wheel well floor boards(rust) and fix those. So when the motor is out i can ghetto the crap out of it if need be. it's already going to be ugly.

oh and the motor is from a imported 1979 633csi. Is that the earlier one?

damn I just don't know what route to go. I really want the extra tq over a m50. and something a little different.

we'll see. Thanks for the help.

Comment

just checked out that site. damn mounts are going to like over 350 us after conversion. I wonder if anyone there speaks english...

might have to make my own if I go that route.

Comment

I'm not entirely clear on this, so someone may correct me if I'm wrong, but according to a little research I just did the '79 m30b32, it's an entirely different beast. If it is indeed an imported car.

Have you seen it? What does the engine look like? Does it look like this?

It's kind of unclear whether that year had the updated one piece intake that most of the m30's have, or the individual intake tubes seen in the pictures.

From what I can tell, that year ran L-jet which is entirely different than motronic (read: archaic) so I dunno. That may be more difficult to wire, I don't know. My engine was from an '83 e23 running motronic.

Get some pics of the engine or more info. I'd like to see where this goes.
            I programmed my oven to turn off when my pizza was done, should i start a build thread?

Feedback

Comment

Originally posted by 88driftIS View Post
              just checked out that site. damn mounts are going to like over 350 us after conversion. I wonder if anyone there speaks english...

might have to make my own if I go that route.
              If you talk to Tino (tino@e30.de) from e30.de, he should be able to provide you with mounts. According to the site the mounts for early m30's (e23, e24, etc) are either 249 or 179EU, which converts to about $375 or $270, the latter is about what I payed for mine.

Feedback

Comment

Working...
              X