Front Main Seal???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Front Main Seal???

Does anyone know a trick to get to the front main seal without having to buy a pulley puller to pull the timing belt pulley off ???
    I know they are on there tight and don't want to spend $70 bucks on a puller I will only use once unless I have to. any info would help!
    Also the main bolt on the end 22mm does anyone know the torque when I put it back on.
    I am in the process of getting a Bentley manual but for right now I am using a Chilton and it don't tell me shit about doing a front main seal.
    this is on an 1987 325e.
    What BMW means to me: Breaks My Wallet

You can get the crank bolt off with a 3/4" drive impact wrench, but getting it back on to the specified torque will require the use of a crank counter hold tool (which also works nicely for getting the bolt off. You probably won't need a puller for any part of the job (I never have).
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Also does anyone know if a starter and alternator off a 525i will fit on my 87 325e because I bought them brand new and don't want them to go to waste parting out the car? both m20s so im guessing yes, but the flywheel on the eta is dual mass and so that's where im confused on the starter?

Comment

Originally posted by jlevie View Post
        You can get the crank bolt off with a 3/4" drive impact wrench, but getting it back on to the specified torque will require the use of a crank counter hold tool (which also works nicely for getting the bolt off. You probably won't need a puller for any part of the job (I never have).
        Well then how did you get the pulleys off the crank with only one spot to really pry on and I don't want to bend anything?

Comment

Originally posted by 1990e30coupe View Post
          Well then how did you get the pulleys off the crank with only one spot to really pry on and I don't want to bend anything?
          Remove the six bolts that mount the pulley and harmonic balancer. Then remove those. That exposes the crank hub. The harmonic balancer can be stuck from rust. PBlaster and day or two for it to penetrate helps. Then tap lightly on alternate sides from the back.
          The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
          Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Originally posted by jlevie View Post
            Remove the six bolts that mount the pulley and harmonic balancer. Then remove those. That exposes the crank hub. The harmonic balancer can be stuck from rust. PBlaster and day or two for it to penetrate helps. Then tap lightly on alternate sides from the back.
            Alright cool! Ill give it a shot tomorrow.
            Thanks for the input

Comment

Working...
            X