M6x exhaust - What are you running?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M6x exhaust - What are you running?

I thought of starting up a thread to talk about exhaust systems on the M6x swaps and everyones thoughts on them. Exhaust is one of those things that everyone has a different style and taste, and its not easy to predict the outcome of the sound. So if you care to share your setup, post up:

Size of Tubing: Ex. 2.5"
    Reducers & Size: Yes/No
    X-pipe: Yes/No
    Resonators: How many
    Muffler: Brand & Description (Ex. Dual in Dual Out)

Also if you have a sound clip and feel like posting it up, that would be great.

The reason for this thread is because i'm trying to figure out what I want to do with my exhaust. Originally I wanted a dual 2.5" with a x-pipe right after the headers, going to a resonator on each pipe into a magnaflow dual in dual out muffler. Now a few friends have me thinking of going from the dual 2.5" into a 3" Y-pipe with one resonator and muffler. I'm just not sure how going from a dual to a single exhaust pipe will have an affect on the sound and airflow of the exhaust.

What are your thoughts on this?
    Originally posted by 36brua
    Isn't that what these forums are all about making stuff easier... OO no never mind this is r3v...
    Patryk:up:
    Instagram: @parkus08

91 BMW 325is ///M-Tech II
    08 VW .:R32
    04 Audi A4 Avant 1.8TQ

Stock manifolds, stock collector head pipes into dual 2.5", H-pipe, Magnaflow glasspacks as resonators into a dual in/dual out Flowmaster Super 10 dumped at the differential:

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

I am currently installing stainless headers and thinking of making the exhaust system from the headers back into a single 3" system.
    Last edited by Mykk540i/6; 03-24-2016, 07:38 AM.

Comment

I was thinking of exactly the same setup as you P Arkus; but also considering a single 3". I talked to the Garagistic guys and they tried several setups on their development mule. Apparently the single 3" made the most power (despite less volume!) but he said the drone was unbearable. SO they ended up with dual 2.5" (stock headers-->xpipe-->resonators-->dual 2.5 in/out
      1991 349is (wadded up)
      1984 Rabbit 2.0L16v swap (wife's)
      2003 LR Disco II (wife's)
      1993 MB 400SEL (son 1's)
      1980 MB 450SEL (son 2's)
      2004 KTM 525 EXC-R SM Sold:(

Comment

We used 2.5 409 stainless to xpipe to 2.5 vibrant resonators then to 2.5 dual in/out Spintech muffler with turndown.

Will be posting a sound clip soon.
        Last edited by Zacm829; 05-27-2016, 01:51 AM.
        1987 325i-M60b44 swap

Comment

Originally posted by Zacm829 View Post

We used 2.5 409 stainless to xpipe to 2.5 vibrant resonators then to 2.5 dual in/out Spintech muffler with turndown.

Will be posting a sound clip soon.

Can't seem to view your images.

Comment

Will be interested to hear a sound clip as im just about to build my exhaust, im going with a 2.25" exhaust but at this stage dont intend to run resonators and just a magnaflow rear muffler.

Comment

Good thread, I was thinking about starting one like it.

My plan, although I'm not anywhere close to that point is, 2.25" dual pipes, stock x5 manifolds, two high flow magnaflow cats, x pipe, then to dual in dual out muffler.

Muffler suggestions would be helpful, if any one has any suggestions...

What is everyone doing about O2 sensors?

Comment

I have 2.25" to an x pipe and then a straight through magna flow at the back. its loud as f@ck! going to try to make it a little quieter soon
                sigpic'89 325i
                M60 swap in progress

Comment

@BenzoNI: post a sound clip! (please)
                  1991 349is (wadded up)
                  1984 Rabbit 2.0L16v swap (wife's)
                  2003 LR Disco II (wife's)
                  1993 MB 400SEL (son 1's)
                  1980 MB 450SEL (son 2's)
                  2004 KTM 525 EXC-R SM Sold:(

Comment

This is one area I haven't done much with as of yet. I'm looking at going with something similar to Gargastic's setup with 2.5" pipe. Going to use an X-pipe but I was unsure if I was going to use a resonator or just straight to a Dual in/Dual out muffler, probably MagnaFlow. Interested to see what others have been using!
                    Some people just need a sympathetic pat...
                    on the head...
                    WITH A HAMMER!!!

Comment

Here is some sound clips.

The burnout attempt was a failure. Lots of noise from the rear end and driveshaft vibration. Sticky 245s didn't help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LD0HuHKtGY0

Some exhaust noises.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBvaxQVhOZU
                      1987 325i-M60b44 swap

Comment

2.5 dual straight pipe to dual in/out magnaflow 12468 with built in X pipe and 3" tips.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

video sound clip

go to post 13
                        Last edited by Old city bimmer; 06-18-2016, 06:03 AM.
                        sigpic
                        323i MTEC1
                        Z3 coupe
                        E60 M5

Comment

Dual 2.5" with a X pipe mid car, and a flowmaster series 40 2 in 2 out in the stock muffler location.

No sound clip yet.

Wee! sound clip, With bonus me groaning noises!

Last edited by delamaize; 06-18-2016, 05:27 PM. Reason: added video
                          Dumpster Fire Pilot

Comment

Dual 2.5 inch stainless steel pipe to vibrant resonator to MagnaFlow dual in muffler
                            1987 325i-M60b44 swap

Comment

Working...
                            X