My 333i Swap: The beginning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My 333i Swap: The beginning

An impulse buy: A m30b32 from this guy locally. I figured, what the hell, it was cheap, my m20's got 200k+ on it, whatever. I like the idea of a 333i more than a 335i (don't ask me why, prolly just cause that's the engine i bought) but I figure after I have it in a year or so, I'll turbo it and have me 333i just like the SA ones, sans the cool badge. Anyway this hopefully frequently updated thread will be the story of my trip 3, hopefully someone may find it interesting, or maybe just have some time to kill so they'll read it.

Alright so I'm gathering parts for my swap, I already have most of the stuff:

engine: m30b32
    tranny: 260/6 out of an 86 535
    radiator: e28
    car for the engine to go into :D: 1991 325i
    a bunch of little crap don't feel like mentioning

but since my engine is a m30b32 I need an oil pan out of an e32/e34 blah blah blah.

I cannot seem to find one, , so I was wondering if A.)you guys had anything or B.)you knew where to get one for an actually reasonable price. I have no desire to pay 500 for a new one.

Also, I was wondering if I need the level sender and the pump as well.
    Last edited by chadthestampede; 08-14-2008, 07:38 PM.
    Originally posted by LJ851
    I programmed my oven to turn off when my pizza was done, should i start a build thread?

Feedback

not sure on the sender, but you will def need a pump...they are expensive about 300-400.. I'd say get a new one don't be cheap and get a used one....I bought my pan off a guy on mye28.com for like 150...try there or any sites dedicated to the e32/34 cars...

Comment

Not positive but I think the m20 pump is the same one as the e32/4 m30's.
      Byron
      Leichtbau

Comment

Not even close.
        1990 E34.

1990 E30.

Click on the pics for a better look.
        1973 Bavaria

Comment

Check ebay, I got a pan and pump for around $150 shipped when I built my first 335i. It MUST be the E32 or E34 pump and pan to work.
          '88 528e /// '88 M5 /// '89 951 /// '98 E430 /// '02 M5

Comment

Alright well I think I got the oil pan lined up but the pump is still at large. any help on this would be appreciated.

anyway, some pics

The ridiculously packed...something, leaking oil and weighing about 80 lbs. I felt kind of bad, but mostly just laughed as I watched the delivery guy nearly telescope his back lifting it up on our porch and coming away with hands covered in oil. oh well.

I wonder what's in there?

I didn't know they could make transmission shaped objects out of pure oil

oh wait, there's actually something in there:

the heart:

which has been sitting on a pallet almost a month now, eager to start pumping 24 yr old power into this:

whoops sorry I meant this, the swordfish, the 1991 super faded brilliantrot beast that I drove back from LA almost 3 years ago:

I programmed my oven to turn off when my pizza was done, should i start a build thread?

Feedback

Comment

Originally posted by chadthestampede View Post

AAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!! (any more pics btw?)

anyway, I have the same tranny as you. You will need an '88 supereta driveshaft. Hopefully no modifications (depending on your engine position)
              Recent Rebranding!!
              Visit Garageaholic for all of your E30 Swap Needs!
              E30 SM62/S62
              E30 M60 V8
              E30 M30 Big 6!

Check out this E36 N54 Swap Build
              Instagram.com/garageaholic
              Youtube.com/garageaholic

Comment

oh wait, there's actually something in there:
                Bahh! I was expecting to see a 265!! Good find anyways, that bloody picture of the pink e30 seriously made me do a little bit of a wee.

Good luck on the swap, I'm in the process of swaping a m30 into my e30 too. I chose a e34 3.5 m30 engine and a e24 635csi getrag 265
                ///Monstrosity. (OO≡≡[][]≡≡OO)

Aside from showing yourself to be offensive, lacking experience and ignorant in the ways of business, you're also illiterate and imprudent. Beyond that, your sense of liability is severely impaired.

Comment

i was this |--| close to getting a 265 from this guy off mye28, but I didn't have the money at the time and I need to get this swap done before the end of the summer. Besides, I hear the 260/5 is a little easier to fit a driveshaft in there w/o modification

Feedback

Comment

Originally posted by FrankM E30 View Post
                    AAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!! (any more pics btw?)

anyway, I have the same tranny as you. You will need an '88 supereta driveshaft. Hopefully no modifications (depending on your engine position)
                    more pics of the pink one? I didn't know everyone would love that so much...

a supereta driveshaft you say? I plan on making custom mounts for engine position 3, or at least as close to 3 as I can get. Is it better to use the seta ds than the 535i 325i combo that jared squires does on his website? The driveshaft is basically the last thing I'm getting besides the oil pump so any input would be nice.

Feedback

Comment

a supereta driveshaft you say? I plan on making custom mounts for engine position 3, or at least as close to 3 as I can get. Is it better to use the seta ds than the 535i 325i combo that jared squires does on his website? The driveshaft is basically the last thing I'm getting besides the oil pump so any input would be nice.
                      It's the same which driveshaft you use, you need to get it shortened and balanced anyways..
                      - E34 M5 (x 2) -
                      - E30 V8 Cabrio "Kylpyamme" -
                      - Alpina D10 Touring #33/94 -

+
                      - E46 318i Touring -
                      - Toyota Hiace 4wd -

Comment

alright here's a question for everyone...whats is the deal with the oil cooler? What do I have to do?

Feedback

Comment

Use M3 cooler lines or get some new lines made / make them yourself with aeroquip stuff.

By the way, I think the 3.2 is going to make for a great swap! They will make every bit as much power with just a little less torque, but you can have some fun camming it and make it rev to 7,000rpm, and it's very unique!
                          '88 528e /// '88 M5 /// '89 951 /// '98 E430 /// '02 M5

Comment

thanks, euroshark...btw my roommate loves arrogant bastard

Alright we're down to the home stretch here. Swap beginning date is August 13th, I took 13 days off work. Hopefully all the 13's don't screw me over haha.

All I need now is a driveshaft and a clutch, trying to work out something on mye28 for both. I'm importing an oil pump from germany thanks to ebay.de and freetranslation.com.

I'm willing to trade mine/girlfriend's sexual favours for anyone who can hook me up with stuff I need for cheap

A couple more things. I have an automatic ecu that came with the engine(1983 733i), as well as an ecu from late 1984 533i that is a manual. I'm pretty sure it doesn't matter which I use but I've heard the 1984 one is chippable.

Furthermore, I have the automatic harness from the engine, the manual harness (obviously) from my 325i, and a manual harness from...something I can't remember, a 633 or something. Which would be the best to use?

Feedback

Comment

updates?
                              1987 325i-M60b44 swap

Comment

Working...
                              X