My 333i Swap: The beginning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rs4pro3 View Post
    9/81 to 1/84 I believe are the years, I know my 83 633csi motor had the 12lb flywheel on it, and boy did it rev.
    That sounds about right...
    Joe Funk -- Portland Oregon
    That Guy.
    03 X5. 3 liter obviously.

Comment

Joe, did you ever find out about the wiring harness? The 'i' harness I have is the only complete one I have, and I plan on using it, but there are a couple sensors that might be difficult...one being the oil level thing, on the engine it's a two wire plug, on the harness it's 3...
      The coolant sensors also didn't plug in, but I swapped the ones from my m20 and damnit I hope it works. The only other plug that I don't know what it is is on the m30 intake mani in the dead center, on the inside, it's a little blue plug...
      Originally posted by LJ851
      I programmed my oven to turn off when my pizza was done, should i start a build thread?

Feedback

Comment

Ive been swamped, sorry. I will look into it more today. The i motors are crank triggered, the e and 3.3 motors are flywheel triggered...
        That Guy.

Comment

btw Joe I just got my mounts about 10 minutes ago in the mail. They look great! Thanks again!
          I programmed my oven to turn off when my pizza was done, should i start a build thread?

Feedback

Comment

Originally posted by Funkmasta View Post
            The i motors are crank triggered, the e and 3.3 motors are flywheel triggered...
            shit, so does this mean i need the two sensors on the tranny bellhousing? If so, where the hell do the wire to? I have a manual harness for a 533i, but it has no place for them...

Could I just use that harness and rewire the c101 and be done with it?

Feedback

Comment

There should be two grey wires coming out the back near the valve cover
              That Guy.

Comment

Originally posted by chadthestampede View Post
                shit, so does this mean i need the two sensors on the tranny bellhousing? If so, where the hell do the wire to? I have a manual harness for a 533i, but it has no place for them...

Could I just use that harness and rewire the c101 and be done with it?
                Yeah, you can rewire the c101... The 533 uses a square plug though, most of the colors are the same
                That Guy.

Comment

subscribed! Looks like a cool project.

Comment

There should be two grey wires coming out the back near the valve cover

alright i think I found them. They have a three prong pluggie at the end, though, and the sensors on the tranny have cut off wires. I noticed they all come from the bunch, though, could I just pull the plugs off and splice the wires into each other?

forgive my ignorance about wiring, it's one of those things I haven't yet been able to get down.

Feedback

Comment

... dont hardwire it...
                      That Guy.

Comment

... dont hardwire it...
                        sorry, i was beginning to panic and lose my mind. Anyway, I found two extra sensors that the guy I bought the engine from had lying around, as well as a water pump pulley that I needed. (It's nice to know a guy that has like 5 735's lying around and hundreds of parts)

so they'll go on tomorrow!

Feedback

Comment

The i motors are crank triggered, the e and 3.3 motors are flywheel triggered...
                          I just thought of this: does this mean I need an Ignition control unit from the original car for this thing?

such as this?

Feedback

Comment

This is what I got so far with the wiring:

e28 533 harness:

Pin 1, BU goes to alternator. Goes to alternator "charge indicator" light in instrument cluster.
                            Pin 2, BU/VI static oil level sender unit. Goes to static oil level light in the active check control unit.
                            Pin 4, BR/WH Coolant temp sensor driver wire. Runs to coolant temp gauge in instrument cluster.
                            Pin 6, GN/YL goes to the O2 sensor heater relay. Gets power from fuse 6 and in the fuse box is colored GN/WH.
                            Pin 7, GN/VI gets power from Pin 87 of Fuel Pump Relay and goes to fuse 1 in the fuse box.
                            Pin 8, BK/YL Starter trigger wire comes from the ignition key.
                            Pin 10, WH/BK To Diagnostic connector Pin 6. Said to be "not used".
                            Pin 12, GN Powers the coil from fuse 1 of fuse box
                            Pin 13, BU/WH Dynamic oil level sender unit. Goes to oil level light in active check control unit.
                            Pin 14, BR/GN Oil Pressure switch. Runs to oil pressure light in instrument cluster.
                            Pin 15, WH/BU Service indicator to Diagnostic connector.

mine doesn't have Pin 17, GN/VI To Fuel pump relay through splice S128, and it doesn't look like it's supposed to

other than that pins 3,5,9,10,11,and 16 are empty

and e30:

C101
                            1 - BU -Alternator Charging
                            2 - GN/YL - Oil Level (Static)
                            4 - BN/VI - Coolant Temp Sensor (Gauge)
                            5 - BN/GN - Oil Pressure Switch
                            6 - GN/WH - 12V Feed for Diagnostic Plug
                            7 - GN - Ignition (Switched)
                            8 - WH/BK -Fuel Economy
                            9 - BK - Engine Speed (Tach)
                            10 - BU - Oil Level (Static)
                            11 -WH/GN -SI Reset
                            12 - GY - CEL
                            13 -GN/VI - Fuel Pump Relay
                            14 -BK/WH - Speed Signal
                            15 - BK/GN - Starter (Unloader Relay)
                            16 -WH/BK - Diagnostic Plug
                            18 - BK/YL - Voltage During Startup
                            20 - RD/YL - ABS Control

Which would mean

e30 ---- 533i harness
                            Pin 1----Pin 1
                            Pin 2----Pin 2
                            Pin 4----Pin 4
                            Pin 5----Pin 14
                            Pin 6---- -
                            Pin 7----Pin 12
                            Pin 8----WH wire from C103
                            Pin 9----BK wire from C103
                            Pin 10----Pin 13
                            Pin 11---- -
                            Pin 12---- -
                            Pin 13----Pin 7
                            Pin 14---- -
                            Pin 15---- -
                            Pin 16----Pin 15
                            Pin 18----Pin 8
                            Pin 20---- -

I think I've figured out where all the c103 plugs go too, since there are 4 or so on the 533 harness and 2 on the e30 harness. The 533i c103 ones are as follows:

BK - Tach speed
                            WH - Fuel Economy
                            BU/WH - A/C Selector Switch (Idle Control)
                            BU/GN - Coolant temp switch input
                            GN - Stops ignition in case of incorrect start (keeps people from stealing your car)

most helpful article ever?
                            Last edited by chadthestampede; 08-22-2008, 05:40 PM.

Feedback

Comment

Originally posted by chadthestampede View Post
                              An impulse buy: A m30b32 from this guy locally. I figured, what the hell, it was cheap, my m20's got 200k+ on it, whatever. I like the idea of a 333i more than a 335i (don't ask me why, prolly just cause that's the engine i bought) but I figure after I have it in a year or so, I'll turbo it and have me 333i just like the SA ones, sans the cool badge. Anyway this hopefully frequently updated thread will be the story of my trip 3, hopefully someone may find it interesting, or maybe just have some time to kill so they'll read it.

Alright so I'm gathering parts for my swap, I already have most of the stuff:

engine: m30b32
                              tranny: 260/6 out of an 86 535
                              radiator: e28
                              car for the engine to go into :D: 1991 325i
                              a bunch of little crap don't feel like mentioning

but since my engine is a m30b32 I need an oil pan out of an e32/e34 blah blah blah.

I cannot seem to find one, , so I was wondering if A.)you guys had anything or B.)you knew where to get one for an actually reasonable price. I have no desire to pay 500 for a new one.

Also, I was wondering if I need the level sender and the pump as well.
                              Our 333i's weren't Turbo from factory :S

Cool build though just not my cup of tea.

Comment

Originally posted by SA E30 View Post
                                Our 333i's weren't Turbo from factory :S

Cool build though just not my cup of tea.
                                haha yeah I realized that the other day, but I didn't feel like editing the first post...but which ones were turbo? I could swear I read an article somewhere about a turbo 333i.

Feedback

Comment

Working...
                                X