Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

rebuilding the oil pump

The worst job to do in an e30m30.

I had to drop the subframe while supporting the engine. I have no engine hoist, so ghetto ingenuity came in handy (jack stand on one side/ 2x4 on the other side). Then realized 3 of the transmission bolts go into the rear of the oil pan as well, nice.

Lower timing case cover removal is also a giant PITA. I ended up stuffing a 2x4 in the crank to hold it while I remove the front crank nut. After that it was pretty straight forward, but damn.

I'm about to tear into the pump and rebuild it this week. Only parts I am replacing are #2 and #4 in the diagram. Already replaced the chain tensioner. While I'm in there, I am replacing the timing chain - the only thing I have not replaced since the swap.

*working on a head gasket replacement write-up with tons of pictures*

Definitely does not look like fun. Awaiting pictures though. How long did it take you to get the oil pan off?
    1987 325i-M60b44 swap

Comment

about an hour. That's with the car already torn apart and free of accessories..

Comment

rebuilding the oil pump itself was very easy. Getting to it was another story.

subframe dropped. That 2x4 is holding the crank in position in order to remove the crank nut (with a 4ft cheater pipe).

how it sits with everything torn apart.

Last edited by yert315; 06-03-2011, 09:23 PM.

Comment

Did your pump nut come off while running? What was the extent of the damage?
          1987 325i-M60b44 swap

Comment

yes it spun off. Doesn't look like much damage, so far just the head. We'll find out after I put it all back together.

Comment

here are some pictures of the oil pump torn apart and gears replaced.

old gears removed

new gears in

Comment

Working...
              X