EASY 100 BUCKS! calling all e30 masters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EASY 100 BUCKS! calling all e30 masters

So i swapped in a replacement m42 into my 91 318is. Kept the existing harness and DME from the old m42. changed a bunch of stuff, h20 pump, timing tensioner piston, VCG, upper oil pan bolts, lower oil pan bolts, did the intake mess blah blah.

anyway, so the car cranks, and barely starts for a split second then dies

sounds like air is escaping from SOMEWHERE, and there is a huge BOOM and rattle from the airbox.

we have diagnosed this:
    -getting fuel
    -getting spark
    -working AFM
    -working fuel pump
    -fuel lines are CORRECT
    -swapped in 2 different CLEAN ICVs

whoever can diagnose, or even come to my house (san jose, ca) and figure this out. i will personally paypal them 100 bucks...

408-772-1275

thanks!

im in the south bay area!

You should take quick vid. Would make it a little bit easier to diagnose.

Spray some starter fluid down the afm & fire it up.

NEW ERA AUTO GLASS - SFV SOCAL - 818 974-3673
    DREWLIENTE

1$ PShops PM me

Comment

Almost sounds like bad timing.
      I have friends who are EOD bro.

That's awesome. I have friends who make coffee for a living, but you don't see me rocking out a bunch of lattes

Comment

Did you check for intake leaks?
        harry/harout

Comment

Stay tuned for a video tomorrow. Starter fluid into the AFM? Or in the intake?
          I checked for intake leaks. To my eye, nothing. I'll take an extensive video of start up and the engine bay tomorrow.

Comment

U should check if your at tdc then crank. Starter fluid is just a way to get you started if your lines aren't primed yet.

NEW ERA AUTO GLASS - SFV SOCAL - 818 974-3673
            DREWLIENTE

1$ PShops PM me

Comment

double check all electrical connections, check ignition rotor and cap.
              "I wanna see da boat movie"
              "I got a tree on my house"

Comment

First, how do you know the replacement engine is good? Compression and leak down test?
                "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
                88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
                89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
                91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

i can confirm that the replacement motor is good. saw it running before i bought it

Comment

I may be crazy but sound like ur exhaust is plugged. Runs enough to build pressure, can't get rid of pressure, dies, pressure leaks back through intake and air filter. Need vid. What's this boom? Like backfire? Sound mechanicals related not electrical. Cam timing is off. Exhaust valve hung up,exhuast system plugged. Something along those lines.
                    Now with 2.7i power!!!

Comment

what actually killed the previous motor?

Comment

Clogged Exhaust. Was there a rag in your manifolds during the work that got forgotten?
                        To the guy that said cap/rotor- it's an m42 with waste spark DIS, no cap or rotor.
                        Also check that crank sensor and can sensors are ok as this motor will surely not run if either of those are a miss.
                        '88 M3.2 S54 Lachssilber/Black
                        '07 335i Alpine/Black Sedan
                        '12 X5 3.5i Alpine/Black
                        iS Splitters For Sale, PM ME!
                        sigpic

Comment

I have more questions than answers lol but I would start with a compression test. Sounds like either your valve timing is off or you have an intake valve that is not seating.....Allso check the spark plugs.
                          I'll have to see the video
                          Driving:1990 325iS, 2007 335i :devil:
                          past BMWs: 1987 325iS turbo, 1989 325i, 1995 525i, 2000 328CI, 2001 540i, 2008 135i

Comment

Working...
                          X