Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hmm, I guess Ill be going under the crawl space of my house to see wtf that tranny from my 84 m10 has in it, regarding flywheel ETC.

Comment

Originally posted by lukeADE335i View Post
      The bell housing isn't deep enough to clear the 240mm pressure plate.

I have heard that the bell housing can be machined to clear it, but have not seen such a set up anywhere, either in person, or pics.
      Yeah, clearancing the part that structurally holds the transmission to the engine doesn't make a whole lot of practical sense.

I have a friend looking for an early m10 2002 228mm flywheel for me. I think that is the simplest solution.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
      Si vis pacem, para bellum.

New Hawtness: 1995 540i/6 Claptrap
      Defunct too: Cirrusblau m30 Project
      Defunct (sold): Alta Vista

79 Bronco SHTF Build

Comment

Originally posted by the imitator View Post
        hmm, I guess Ill be going under the crawl space of my house to see wtf that tranny from my 84 m10 has in it, regarding flywheel ETC.
        I bet anything its a 240 with the 215mm flywheel. The allure is how small they are compared to the 260/265 variant.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

79 Bronco SHTF Build

Comment

Indeed - they look like a 4 speed from any other manufacturer!

If the 240mm clutch were possible, you'd think that it would be the hot ticket for turbo M10 guys, but no one uses them, so I think the machining option is probably not realistic.

The 228mm M10 or S14 flywheel is the best solution if you can find one (or a HD 215mm clutch kit, which I've had no problems at all with mine & I only use a stage 1 kit with uprated pressure plate & supposedly grippier organic clutch).
          My e30: OEM+ with M30B35

Comment

i see that flawdaboi used his stock driveshaft. anyone else able to do the same?

it seems that after installing the engine into position 3 the transmission now mounts 2 3/4" back from it's original position and i don't see where else I can adjust the driveshaft other than at the center support bearing. I only have about 1 1/4" to gain from sliding the splines further in.

any ideas or comments?
            sigpic

Comment

One thing I haven't heard discussed is the use of an automatic transmission driveshaft. Automatics are physically longer, so would it stand to reason that the shorter driveshaft might be a viable option?

Last edited by marshallnoise; 05-05-2014, 09:06 PM.

79 Bronco SHTF Build

Comment

that's interesting. only difference is those driveshafts are more scarce than a 325i/e ds.

leaving this here for future adopters:
                sigpic

Comment

The auto driveshafts are too short, but you could probably have them lengthened.

When doing my swap, between me & my Dad we had a large number of driveshafts for comparison. Here's the pic:

numbered 1 -> 8 from left to right

1 & 2 - e30 M20 automatic driveshafts
                  3 - e30 M10 automatic driveshaft
                  4 - e30 323i M20 manual drive shaft (G260)
                  5 - e30 320i M20 manual drive shaft (G240)
                  6 - e28 528i / 535i M30 manual drive shaft (G260)
                  7 - e28 520i manual drive shaft (G260)
                  8 - e30 318i manual driveshaft (G240)

Of note are that the front sections of the 320i driveshaft (G240) and the e28 M30 driveshaft (G260) are the same length, the difference is in the rear section of the driveshaft & output flange size.

The front sections of the 318i (G240) and e28 M20 driveshaft are also the same length, just the e28 is a thicker, heavier driveshaft.

323i e30 drive shaft is approximately 1 inch shorter than the 320i.

The automatic drive shafts do differ in length, but are all too short unless you had some radically far back engine position (with modified firewall).

That said - could a 4 cylinder automatic drive shaft work with a G265? Never seen one for a length comparison with the G260 but they are meant to be longer.

Make of that what you will :)

Comment

Bast poast evar!

Luke, you never cease to amaze me. I did wind up sourcing a 2002tii m10 flywheel. $50 shipped. Zing!

79 Bronco SHTF Build

Comment

Thanks Marshall. I did a lot of research before doing my swap to make sure it went smoothly, although did mess up attempting to defeat the internets on fitting the M20 228mm flywheel so learned the hard way there!

It helps that we have 3 e30s in the family & have wrecked a few parts cars over the years, so I have access to a pretty big hoard of parts :)

Good work on the 228mm flywheel! Much cheaper than some other options.

Comment

Epic! Sticky!

79 Bronco SHTF Build

Comment

i ended up using an e30 m3 flywheel/clutch/pressure plate, shortened/rebalanced my driveshaft, and had to modify my shifter plate too (old style plate/carrier)
                          sigpic

Comment

I used the old style shifter plate on my swap too - the e21 plate works without shortening. I think mine was from a Getrag 245.

Good work on the M3 flywheel / clutch / pressure plate - will work well.

Comment

Anyone have experience with a 318ti driveshaft? I heard the driveshaft might fit for a car with the engine in pos 3.

Comment

That would be a great find if it does work out.

79 Bronco SHTF Build

Comment

Working...
                                X