Using a J-pipe to cancel out exhaust drone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Using a J-pipe to cancel out exhaust drone

On my IX i built an exhaust pretty much from scratch. It consists of the following:

Stock manifolds down to a Y-pipe at the exact location that the factory X-pipe was located.
    A single 2.5" pipe all the way back.
    A Borla XS 40348 muffler. (Single 2.5" inlet, dual 2.5" outlets)

I'm getting a pretty good exhaust drone at highway speeds/RPM's.

Has anybody built an exhaust similar to this and used a tuned J-pipe to cancel out resonant drone?
    The best one-stop shopping for German car parts and lifestyle: http://www.gutenparts.com/

Originally posted by berlow94 View Post
    On my IX i built an exhaust pretty much from scratch. It consists of the following:

Stock manifolds down to a Y-pipe at the exact location that the factory X-pipe was located.
    A single 2.5" pipe all the way back.
    A Borla XS 40348 muffler. (Single 2.5" inlet, dual 2.5" outlets)

I'm getting a pretty good exhaust drone at highway speeds/RPM's.

Has anybody built an exhaust similar to this and used a tuned J-pipe to cancel out resonant drone?
    I had to do a quick google to understand what a J-pipe is / does. I had never heard of it before.
    http://flg8cc.com/vb4/showthread.php...nd-application

Essentially it cancels out target sound frequencies, and you choose these frequencies based on it's length.

Looks pretty cool! I think a decent external mic, laptop, and some software to do FFT (like this http://www.techmind.org/audio/specanaly.html) would do the trick to find the frequencies.

Please report back if you decide to try it!

Comment

Originally posted by Panici View Post
      I had to do a quick google to understand what a J-pipe is / does. I had never heard of it before.
      http://flg8cc.com/vb4/showthread.php...nd-application

Essentially it cancels out target sound frequencies, and you choose these frequencies based on it's length.

Looks pretty cool! I think a decent external mic, laptop, and some software to do FFT (like this http://www.techmind.org/audio/specanaly.html) would do the trick to find the frequencies.

Please report back if you decide to try it!

Off the top of my head calculations tell me that i will need a pipe .5 meters long.
      From more reading, it seems that most people just weld in a Vibrant Resonator roughly where the Cat used to be to get rid of drone.

For simplicities sake i might start with the resonator and add the J-pipe later if needed.
      The best one-stop shopping for German car parts and lifestyle: http://www.gutenparts.com/

Comment

When i got my exhaust made i "converted" it from the dual ~1.75" and got them to weld in a Y-piece and single piece from then on. I asked the guy to make it 2.5" as it seemed like about the same as ~1.75", he reckoned if i went 2.5" the drone would be quite bad, he suggested 2.25" as a maximum to avoid drone....and with 2 mufflers and 2.5" there is some drone when i put the foot down but light throttle it is almost silent.

So you only have a single pipe all the way and a single muffler at the back? I would definitely suggest either a second baffled muffler in the middle or a resonator to suit your engine. Resonators are designed for a certain number of cylinders and a certain rpm to cancel out the drone.

my old 4age had a resonator in the middle and a muffler at the back. I took out the resonator and put in a second straight through muffler in order to attempt to make it quieter. It was quieter sure, but it made the resonance far worse at cruising speeds, it was almost unbearable!

Comment

Originally posted by e30davie View Post
          When i got my exhaust made i "converted" it from the dual ~1.75" and got them to weld in a Y-piece and single piece from then on. I asked the guy to make it 2.5" as it seemed like about the same as ~1.75", he reckoned if i went 2.5" the drone would be quite bad, he suggested 2.25" as a maximum to avoid drone....and with 2 mufflers and 2.5" there is some drone when i put the foot down but light throttle it is almost silent.

So you only have a single pipe all the way and a single muffler at the back? I would definitely suggest either a second baffled muffler in the middle or a resonator to suit your engine. Resonators are designed for a certain number of cylinders and a certain rpm to cancel out the drone.

my old 4age had a resonator in the middle and a muffler at the back. I took out the resonator and put in a second straight through muffler in order to attempt to make it quieter. It was quieter sure, but it made the resonance far worse at cruising speeds, it was almost unbearable!

Didn't really think about the size of the pipe having any effect on drone resonant frequency.
          I have a single 3" pipe all the way back on my race car and there is absolutely no drone lol. Not looking for a baffled muffler. That is only a band aid fix. A j-pipe would totally cancel out a specific frequency with no additional flow restriction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

My car is quiet and highway friendly with two straight through mufflers on the 3" system (a big dynomax in the center of the car and a little dual exit straight through muffler sticking out through the rear valance. A second straight through muffler would probably get you what you want, but if you don't want the exhaust to be quieter, and just want to reduce drone, a branch or helmholtz resonator is a proven option. You do need to do what Panici said and use a recording and FFT to figure out where the peak of your drone resonance is, then size your resonator accordingly. The equations necessary to size the resonator should be pretty commonly available online, since this isn't an uncommon thing for aftermarket and even OEM exhaust (and intake) systems to use.

IG @turbovarg
            '91 318is, M20 turbo
            [CoTM: 4-18]
            '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
            - updated 1-26

Comment

I think another approach is to use an app or something to measure audio frequency. Drive the car at the rpms/speed you get drone, check the app to see what frequency the sounds comes in at, use some calculations to determine what length resonator will cancel the drone, purchase and install said resonator.

I believe the UUC Corsa RSC36 exhaust uses similar theory to control drone and tailor the frequency/sound of the exhaust. That's why it sounds so good
              '89 325i OBD2 S52 BUILD THREAD
              Shadetree30

Comment

Working...
              X