Is m30 swap worth it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is m30 swap worth it?

Hey all, i have an 84e, in about 2 years ill do a complete resoration and a v8 swap in it. Right now, since im short on money, i want to make my car a bit faster because lets be honest eta m20 sucks. So at first i was thinking just do the 2.7i with rebuild head and some minor goodies, my friend did it and it is definitely way faster then my eta. But now i decided to look into m30 since they offer more power and torque and will cost me about the same amount as the 2.7 would. My question is, is it really worth it? can i see some dyno sheets. How is the drive itself?

Thanks

That depends very much on what you consider "worth it". If you want v8 power, I'm assuming LSx, then I suspect an NA m30 isn't going to do it for you. If you like the sound and characteristics of the old 12v engines then it might suit you. For what it's worth mine is an absolute riot to drive but it's no where near as fast as say, my buddy's Z3M.

This is my b34 swapped car on a Mustang dyno. It was in pretty bad need of a tune up at the time but from what I gather it's in the ballpark of what other NA m30s make power-wise. b35s would of course make a bit more power.

$500, Diamantschwarz, and a Dream

Comment

I am not looking for a v8 power. Not yet at least. right now im looking for something that will make my car reliable for the next 2 years and a bit more faster, so i can confidently drive on freeways and etc. (no down shifting and all that crap) But yeah, my main question is basically about the power, i have seen some people here with 140whp, and some with 180whp+. What will it require me to get 180whp? Will just a somewhat refreshed b35 with chip, exhaus, and other little things like air intake be enough, or will i have to do some more "money wasting" to get it?

Im just wondering about it because if i will have 140whp with an m30 then theres really no point for me of doing it because the 2.7i will pretty much make same amount and will be easier for me to do.

Comment

I'd you want quick power, bolt on a turbo. Dollar for dollar, is going to be real hard to beat. There are full kits, or you can read up and piece one together. You can make good power on boost.

I just hate to see money spent twice.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk

Comment

If your going to swap out the engine anyway, I would suggest keeping the eta, and putting in a chip, CAI, a complete I exhaust, and a 3.25 rear end. For just a few hundred dollars you can really wake up the eta. I had my car set up with those modifications for a few years and I was a blast. Even the 2.7i swap takes more time and money than you will expect it to.

Comment

Don't forget about MPG, I am getting 25mpg on the highway with a 3.25LSD and roughly 16 in town. People get all this power in their head and forget they have to pay for gas, the M30 uses a lot more fuel than an ETA.
            ~ Puch Cafe. ~ Do business? feedback ~ Check out my leather company ~

Instagram: @BWeissLeather

Current cars:
            ~ '87 325 M30B35 swap
            ~ '87 535
            ~ 01 540 Msport 6spd
            ~ '06 X5 4.8is

Comment

Originally posted by Batz View Post
              My question is, is it really worth it?

Thanks
              No it is not. It is heavy , old technology engine. You can't go wrong with M50 swap, they are cheap now, lots of support for it

Comment

I'd say m30 or m50 are both cheap enough for two year reliability and the m30 with only one cam and aluminum head is surprisingly light. As in probably still close to 500 lbs (m20 was weighed at 400).

However I agree with sticking with the eta until you do the final swap. Even in need for speed growing up I always regretted spending twice by taking middle steps. Cold air intake, muffler delete (it's actually still quiet with a resonator and cat, very comfortably below legal limit for mine using a glasspack) have made a difference I can feel. Ngk v powers improved my performance as well, not by much but it's smoother and runs better as a bonus. When I get some eBay chip that advertises a 25 hp gain because of the low performance stock tune I expect to keep up with my friends 2002 focus svt. My eta doesn't feel anything like a sport engine but it feels nice in the 3200-4200 rpm range.

I also plan on trying a 3 dollar throttle body spacer to see what that's all about. It's nice that these things are almost all improving my mpgs and are basically free.

In the long run I'd try to spend on the chassis instead and resist a middle step swap because it'll save you a good amount in the long run.

Comment

Hmm, a lot of nos so far. I guess im just sticking with 2.7i then. Reason why im not doing m50 is because it will cost me to much. My other friend did it and he spend like 4K on it. Im planning to spend about 1200 on 2.7i, so you guys can see the difference.

Comment

Why build the 2.7? That will just prolong the v8 swap. You can make all the power you want, from any of the mentioned engines. Pick one, and build one. Be done sooner, and happier sooner.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk

Comment

Do not use the b34. It will not be worth it.
                      Use the b35.

Comment

Unless you want to boost it. B34 is where it's at for a boosted application.
                        Originally posted by Andy.B
                        Whenever I am about to make a particularly questionable decision regarding a worryingly cheap diy solution, I just ask myself, "What would Ether-D do?"
                        1987 325iS m30b34 Muscle car (Engine electrical phase)
                        ~~~~~~~~~~
                        I was born on 3/25…
                        ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by DesertBMW View Post
                          No it is not. It is heavy , old technology engine. You can't go wrong with M50 swap, they are cheap now, lots of support for it
                          I disagree. It's not much heaver, that's an old internet misnomer. Old technology? It's a 2-valver motor with motrontic 1.x - fits right at home in the e30.

M50? Meh. All that work for (a little bit of) a lackluster motor. If you need to rebuild that head, it's going to cost you some coin. I think the m50 is a great drop-in replacement for a worn out m20 - sure. But I wouldn't pull a good m20 out to do a m50 swap.

For a daily driver I'd take a m30 over a m50. For a daily, it's really all about TQ. Down side is the gas mileage. It's a pig. I hate filling up.
                          Originally posted by Matt-B
                          hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

I love my m30 (b34 with b35 electronics) swap it makes driving in traffic so much better. I can get out quick!

It does eat the gas though I think I get around 15mpg, but I don't baby my car.

Have you made a purchase from www.blunttech.com recently?
                            sigpic<< wrecked

Comment

The gas mileage isn't actually that bad with the M30B35 - the diff ratio makes a big difference. Sure an M50 or M52 will get much better economy.

I started out with a 3.73 with my swap - absolutely effortless to drive, but the mileage was pretty bad, around 13mpg. I swapped to a 3.45 and the mileage is now a reasonably constant 17 - 18mpg. My old M20B20 used to average 16mpg with an automatic, so the 3.5L manual isn't doing too bad. These figures are all urban, on the highway, I get 25mpg from the M30.

Drivability is a massive improvement though over the M20 - torque everywhere, all the time.

Would I do it again if I was to do another swap? Absolutely :)
                              Last edited by lukeADE335i; 09-02-2014, 05:41 AM. Reason: converted to mpg (US)
                              My e30: OEM+ with M30B35

Comment

Working...
                              X