How To Guide - E36 Steering Rack Swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MattBimmer View Post
    Hey guys I couldn't really tell by the pictures which is the High pressure PS line. The one with all the coils and has the 22mm bolt or the 19mm banjo bolt line.
    Matt,..of course there is too much junk in my engine comp for me to actually look but it sure looks like the HP side is the smaller of the 2 banjo's. The larger banjos (#7) have hose clamps and go to the reservoir via hoses 11 &12 so that makes sense.

get this done already, will ya ;)
    Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
    Alice the Time Capsule
    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
    87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

hp line goes from the top of the pump to rack, so check whether the pump takes the larger/smaller bolt.

Comment

Alirght thanks for the input, sorry between ordering the new tie rods,work, moving, and trying to do all this on my own... it is taking awhile. I am grinding the firewall today.
        sigpic

Comment

So I have the new rack in... spacers etc. The knuckle is perfectly straight to the rack spline. (I have airbags) but the knuckle only has made it to the first groove on the spline not all the way down and hasbstopped. But the spline that is inside the tube that connects the steering wheel to the column (interior) is showing quite a bit. Like to the point looks as if it is almost coming out pics soon driving my dd home now.
          sigpic

Comment

Is this right?

Okay so I have a spacer in ABOVE the rack... from what I have read it helps eliminate bump steer this way.... I had this spline on the steering column come all the way out earlier... I have put it back in but I am hesitant because it makes me wonder how much I have inside the steering column tube and I dont want the knuckle or the tube to break free while driving. Can you say catostrosphic crash lol.
            But I need more of the knuckle onto the rack's spline as well.

MAIN Question does anyones elses AIRBAG car look like this at the end of the column spline/ if not what can I do to extend the column to the knuckle. (risk bump steer and put washers below?)

[IMG][/IMG]
            sigpic

Comment

Here is a picture of the knuckle. Click image for larger version

Name:	rack and knuckle.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	7143911
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by MattBimmer View Post
                Here is a picture of the knuckle. [ATTACH]56985[/ATTACH]
                Matt,

Do you have 2 grooves on the rack ? I've done 2 swaps and the racks only had 1 so I think you have to slide the knuckle down further so the bolt sits in that groove. Do the upper end after that since it can clamp at any point on the column splines.

Both my swaps were on non-airbag cars so I don't want to give you bad advice but something doesn't seem right with your steering column. You are just modifying the shaft angle slightly but not changing the knuckle length as I did so this should all go back together without fuss. Do try to leave a bit of angle to the knuckle so the u joints let the knuckle "stretch" as things flex & rotate.

As for the spacers, mine are on top as well. You can worry about bump steer when you road test it.
                Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

Alice the Time Capsule
                87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

Okay... that's still great advice. That is the groove I need to get the knuckle over right below it. I am gonna go back tomorrow and try to get it on down. And then just try and tighten the lock nut down as hard as I can on the column spline. I thought I was gonna have an extra hand on this project but He was a no show and some of this junk is hard by yourself.
                  sigpic

Comment

Did you flip your knuckle upside down ?

If you look at the end that goes on the rack you can see the bolt interferes with the axis of the spline so it locks in to that groove whereas on the top end the bolt strictly clamps and does not break thru the inner surface of the knuckle.

Just sayin' :pimp:

Alice the Time Capsule

Comment

What do you guys do for steering boots? I had e30 ones on my car, brand new, and they are both ripped now. From looking at them now, it seems like, at full lock, they get over-extended? I'm going to try e36 ones and see if they work...looks like they might....?
                      - Sean Hayes

Comment

Originally posted by Sean View Post
                        What do you guys do for steering boots? I had e30 ones on my car, brand new, and they are both ripped now. From looking at them now, it seems like, at full lock, they get over-extended? I'm going to try e36 ones and see if they work...looks like they might....?
                        e30 ones will work on an e36 rack but the boots should match the tie rods you use (e36 boots for e36 tierods) maybe you installed them wrong?

Comment

Not sure how you can install them wrong. I used e30 rods with e30 boots. Oh well, e36 boots are on the way.

It's been probably 4 years - but the boots are getting pulled apart - no idea why.
                          - Sean Hayes

Comment

Originally posted by ScHpAnKy View Post
                            I'm also getting this, but haven't done a proper alignment yet - although, my iX with 4x4 and no alignment doesn't jerk the steering around like this thing is doing.

Like, seriously, wtf?

Also, what are you guys with this problem running for tie rods? I'm using the E36 ones.
                            I found the issue to the steering wandering after the rack swap, my knuckle's splines had a few stripped teeth causing it to spin on the input shaft from the upper steering column. New one in, and cranked the fuck down - front end is TIGHT now :)

91 318i | 87 535iS

Comment

the bump steer comes from the rack center line being to high or to low compared to where the rod ends connect to the steering knuckle in relation to the ground. transaltion= put 3 washers on top and 3 on bottom on the mounts. That way the center line of the rack is where it was when the e30 rack was in. Make sense?? worked great on my car w hr sports. no bump steer at all.

so if you lower your car you may be ok running one big spacer under the rack. cuz your rack is now lower than where it was oem, thus below the tie rod ends and maybe causing bump steer.
                              Now with 2.7i power!!!

Comment

Guys I need some serious help. Today I put on the tie rods, the banjo bolts EVERYTHING except I have yet to fully get the knuckle to the groove. I pulled and wiggled and did everything to get it to slide down more.... and it just is not going. I don't know if its a lack of strength I only weigh 130. Or I am just screwed. I haven't even ran the car in weeks due to this but I cranked it to check for leaks at the banjo bolts. NONE. But while I was in the car I turned the wheel a little left and riight to get fluid going through the pump and the rack. But then just to see how the ratio felt I was going to go to lock and it seemed like it kept spinning. It felt like more than 1.6 turns from center. I freaked and turned back to center turned the car off and locked it. But then I looked and nothing seemed wrong. Knuckle was stiill straight wheeels back straight. Its like it slipped but it didn't slip on the splines.
                                Does anyone have a spare knuckle assembly for Airbag they will sell me?
                                Or do they have a clue what happened?
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X