changing rear axle/CV joints

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

changing rear axle/CV joints

any tips? i have a tear in one of my boots and i picked up the complete setup online for wicked cheap, anything I should know/do before i tackle this?
    1991 318is ---230K - DD
    1991 318i ---- 308K - retired

Originally posted by RickSloan
    so if you didnt get it like that did you glue fuzzy oil to the entire thing?

Nothing special, some use torx bolts, some use allen. Make sure you tighten them to the correct torque when reinstalling (Pretty tight), and use Blue Loctite because they can and do come loose. I have two buddies who replaced them with the "I don't need loctite" method, both came loose again. Just my .02

I did them in my E30 M3 about 4 years ago. On that you need to loosen the large hub nut before jacking up the car, then jack it up and remove the wheel, caliper, and rotor. Next you use a 3 jaw puller to press the axle end out of the hub. If yours has bolts on both sides, ala 2002s, then your swap will be much easier.

The two big tips: 1) When you can't get to all the bolts, take the car out of gear and sping the axle by hand, then put it back in gear so you can get to the other bolts. Youll probably have to do this twice. 2) Use Blue Loctite when re-installing.
    sigpic
    2001 330i - In the garage.
    1986 335is - 325e with Euro 735 M30B34, Under Construction.
    1989 E30 ///M3 - Sold.
    1975 2002 - Sold.

Comment

cool thanks, whats the estimate on longevity of this project
      1991 318is ---230K - DD

Comment

i changed mine after the car had 200k on it and the axles were siezed in there. i used penitrating oil, a 20 lb sledge and multiple hours of hammer time.. didnt budge. i ended up going to home depot and renting a HILTI electric jack hammer. problem solved.

Comment

Originally posted by alane View Post
          i changed mine after the car had 200k on it and the axles were siezed in there. i used penitrating oil, a 20 lb sledge and multiple hours of hammer time.. didnt budge. i ended up going to home depot and renting a HILTI electric jack hammer. problem solved.
          How did your wheel bearings fare after such treatment? How long has it been since the change?

My car still has a "thrumming" in the ass end. I think my axle's CV joints took a dump.

Closing SOON!
          "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

just got mine done and the bearings
            the only issue was a stock axle nut. had to be chissel out

got remaufacture axles from Oreillys for 69$. Perfect fit no issues at all. You reuse the cover on the diff end of the CV axle.
            sigpic
            - 0.05s and 0.1s FTW!!!

Comment

Originally posted by rcko View Post
              just got mine done and the bearings
              the only issue was a stock axle nut. had to be chissel out

got remaufacture axles from Oreillys for 69$. Perfect fit no issues at all. You reuse the cover on the diff end of the CV axle.
              Have you driven with them at 80+ mph? I need to rebuild or replace my axles and I see a lot of complaints online about speed wobble with non-OEM replacements.

Comment

I have never known anything about wobble, but the aftermarket axles are pure junk. I rebuild the stockers and have taken apart an aftermarket to compare. I put the inner race of an OEM CV on an aftermarket axle, and the thickness of the OE race was so wide when it bottomed out, that it not only completely covered the snap ring groove, and even hung off the end of the splines a little. This means the aftermarket junk CV's are about 4mm thinner than stock - but - that's not even the part I have seen fail! The cages snap like toothpicks. Local here used a set of them and he broke both in one weekend in his 318is vert (4.27 LSD) at an Auto-X.

I still have the aftermarket axle sitting on a bench, need to take some pics....
                john@m20guru.com
                Links:
                Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
                  I still have the aftermarket axle sitting on a bench, need to take some pics....
                  any update?
                  1991 318is ---230K - DD

Comment

Working...
                  X