No announcement yet.

E46 330 rack into E30

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On the E46 rack, I noticed the banjo bolt on the rack side of the high pressure hose has a check valve in it, while the E30 rack/pump banjo bolts don't have this feature.

Did you guys reuse the E46 banjo with check valve? Any thoughts why the E46 had this while the E30 did not?

Comment

That's a good question. After looking into it, apparently the E46 does indeed have a built in check valve in that hose. All it does is prevent back flow into the pump (I think, after briefly researching check valve applications). It looks like these first came into play on e39/46 and up (lots of newer bmws use it) however is not present on the e30.

I would assume you could either a) swap in the E46bolt that does have the built in valve or b) just leave the e30 one in place. From my understanding (again, amateur here, correct me if I'm wrong) it only prevents back flow into the pump, and since our pump is still the e30 one, we shouldn't need it. However, it's possible some characteristics of the rack changed which would cause it to be necessary. But I doubt it.

I went ahead and sent an email to Rich at rackdoctor (didn't feel this was important enough to warrant a call) to see what his professional opinion is.

Comment

Thanks for looking into it. Your understanding of the check valve is the same as mine, though I don't know enough about power steering systems to venture a guess as to when the rack would be more pressurized than the pump... Is there a possibility the E30 check valve was built into the line itself..? I always wondered what the metal piece was in the middle of the E30/E36 high pressure hose.

Comment

Originally posted by boxy30 View Post
          Thanks for looking into it. Your understanding of the check valve is the same as mine, though I don't know enough about power steering systems to venture a guess as to when the rack would be more pressurized than the pump... Is there a possibility the E30 check valve was built into the line itself..? I always wondered what the metal piece was in the middle of the E30/E36 high pressure hose.
          I'd have to see it, but in any high-pressure application you want to minimize any length of rubber hose. It may just be serving that purpose.
          Interested in vintage cars? Ever thought about racing one? Info, photos, videos, and more can be found at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!

Elva Courier build thread here!

Comment

E46 rack in e30

Hello all,

Question: I purchased a 2004 330 rack to swap into my late airbag e30 vert and also purchased new lemforder e36 tie rod ends. The ends however seem to be too small for the e46 inner rods, they don't fit. Am I missing something here?

Thanks!
            J

Comment

i took me blown out e30 rack . about to put in the e46 zhp rack. i also noticed the check valve in the e46 banjo bolt, what did you guys end up running the e30 banjo with nothing or the e46 banjo? im not sure which i should run

Comment

Originally posted by Ryen Miller View Post
                i took me blown out e30 rack . about to put in the e46 zhp rack. i also noticed the check valve in the e46 banjo bolt, what did you guys end up running the e30 banjo with nothing or the e46 banjo? im not sure which i should run
                In for this, I just ordered a ZHP rack for my E30.
                Euro Delivery Thread///E30 Project Klaus///COTM August 2021

Comment

Rich never responded to my inquiry regarding the check valve. I've had my e46 rack running in the e30 for almost a year now with no problems. Really enjoying the smaller lock to lock turning.

Comment

It's been awhile but I'm pretty certain I installed with the E46 banjo w/ check valve. I haven't run into any issues either for the past 8-9 months using it that way.

Comment

i have a 1987 325i convertible non airbag steering wheel, getting ready to do the swap to an e46 rack. should i have any concerns?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Purple tag 330I E46 rack in E30 320I Touring

Just to make things easy for those of you thinking about swapping an E46 rack in your E30 facelift, i'm going to share my experience:

First of all, i live in Norway (EU-cars). My rack came from a BMW E46 330i touring which had the infamous purple tag, and part number 7852 974 678. The rack has 3.0 turns lock to lock, and is labeled ZF (not ZHP). The car i swapped it in was my E30 320i Touring produced late 1988, LHD, non airbag, with PS (power steering).

It was fairly straight forward. You'll definitely need a dremel though. There's definitely no need for the kits sold on eBay and other places to perform this swap if you have access to basic hardware. I removed my existing rack as all guides describes, bending the tabs etc., no problems.

Steering linkage and knuckles:
                        I went ahead an drilled out the rubber gouibo to shorten the rack. To bolt them together (equal size holes on both ends) i used 2 pcs. M8x30mm bolts, with 6 washers and 2 self locking nuts. Easy peasy.
                        I was a bit worried beforehand about where to file the knuckles to avoid binding, but this turned out to be as self explanatory as can be. If you know how to change your oil, this will need no guide...
                        So that's all there is to the linkage. everything went back together good afterwards.

Insertion of the rack it self:
                        I used 2 regular nuts, M10 which i locked in a wrench and drilled out with a 10mm, so they would act as washers, not threaded nuts. They weren't 14mm tall as the guides describe, probably around 9mm, but this worked fine, and was plenty as the last 4-5mm was just the tabs compressing a little to compensate.
                        That's that.

PS lines:
                        I didn't need to do anything to the lines, other than maybe reverse one of them, but to be honest, this was also self explanatory. I didn't remember how they were placed originally when i put the pieces together, but they only really did fit one way. You'll figure!
                        Only thing to remember is to order lots of crusher washers for the PS lines, as these are one time use only, and is a pain to replace afterwards due to tight space. Don't know the exact size of those, sorry.

Tie rod ends:
                        Used regular E36 tie rod ends, which worked wonders.

That's all. A total of 5-6 hours work, with 2 of them being to fight the old tie rods off. I needed lots of heat and penetrant to get them moving.

Hope this fast guide will come handy to those of you struggling to find info on E46 swap.

:thankyou:

Comment

after rack swap did u guys use atf or chf11s?

Comment

Originally posted by shoshottz View Post
                            after rack swap did u guys use atf or chf11s?

I used ATF

I don't see any reason to use CHF11S unless you're wiping your ass with 20 dollar bills
                            Originally posted by wholepailofwater
                            Q
                            :devil:

WTB: Dove Grey e36 Front Door Panels (2 door)

Comment

thank god

Comment

ok so i have
                                e46 zf rack with e46 inner rods
                                i also have e36 outers, do i need anything other than loctite for the outer rods?

ie locking nut or washer?
                                just measure the old full rack and match up that simple?

Comment

Working...
                                X