My new m62! bringing this thread back from the grave

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My new m62! bringing this thread back from the grave

So Saturday I woke up, sold my m20 to a guy from NY, broke up with my girlfriend and went to boston to buy a m62.

Found it on CL for a fair price and I have been interested in the swap for a long time now so I bit the bullet.

The motor is very clean, only has 103k on it. came from a 98 540, the po slid the car in to the tree.

So im hoping to start piecing parts together to get this bad boy into my e30 soon. any advice? and wish me luck!
    Last edited by dougie30; 06-11-2017, 05:32 AM.
    M30 is God's motor.....but Jesus drives an M60'd car -slammin.e28

Now that is dedication..... Way to start the new year lol

goodbye = M20....Goodbye = Girlfriend... Hello = M62

Here is my advice..my 2 cents..

Take a few hours and sit down and read Justin "Jgood" and Jeremy "Monkeybusiness" treads.

Go to bank remove between $5000-$8000 for all the parts, cry a bit ..shake it up and check out Jean "moderator" thread on V8 videos...orgasm on that sick v8 sound.. then get to work NOW!

**dont answer the Girlfriends calls..thats going to slow you down.

:D
    Denny

Blogs:
    http://bmw325e30.blogspot.com/ (restoration)
    http://bmw325e30turbo.blogspot.com (Twincharge M20)
    http://bmw325e30m62b44.blogspot.ca/

Comment

damn deny thats some good advice! I have read a bunch of the builds on here and was thinking ofbuying the m62 swap pdf file and read through that too.

also anyone know what the five speed transmission that came in the 530's is called?

Comment

Damn that looks clean! Subscribed. Keep us posted
        NASA
        BMWCCA member
        PCA member 25yrs

1991 318IS slick top
        1997 M3 sedan
        2001 325CI DD

“whoever turns the wheel the least, wins"

Comment

Sounds like you had a good day.

Originally posted by dougie30 View Post
          damn deny thats some good advice! I have read a bunch of the builds on here and was thinking ofbuying the m62 swap pdf file and read through that too.

also anyone know what the five speed transmission that came in the 530's is called?
          It's the S5-310Z, just like in the E36's... it just has the M60 bellhousing instead of the M50 bellhousing.

The M62's have the crank sensor low on the right side of the bellhousing. The 5 speed trans does not have a location to mount it. You'll need the lower timing cover and crank pulley/trigger wheel from an M60 in order to have a trigger wheel and run the engine.

Comment

damn so now im wondering ifit will just be easier running the 6speed trans? i heard of having to change the timing cover while doing the m60b44 hybrid but never with the five speed.

Comment

I assume you are talking about Frank's M62 swap PDF file. Now as I dont have the M62 file, I can only assume it is as good or better than the M60 file. I would highly suggest buying it, especially for the price he sells it for. If you put that money in comparison to the whole projects costs, its basically nothing. Believe me you wont be disappointed.

Also, +1 for Denny. Ex GF calls will delay your progress! lol

Good luck on your swap!
              Originally posted by 36brua
              Isn't that what these forums are all about making stuff easier... OO no never mind this is r3v...
              Patryk:up:
              Instagram: @parkus08

91 BMW 325is ///M-Tech II
              08 VW .:R32
              04 Audi A4 Avant 1.8TQ

Comment

Good luck! You won't be disappointed.

+1 Frank's Doc.

Comment

damn so now im wondering ifit will just be easier running the 6speed trans? i heard of having to change the timing cover while doing the m60b44 hybrid but never with the five speed.
                  If you start with an M60, the 5 speed is a non-issue... that may be why you don't hear about it.

Comment

So in the long run what would be the best (easier and cheapest ) route, going with the six speed, bigger heavier need to modify the drive shaft and trans brace, or five speed and changing over the front timing cover for the cps?

Comment

I suggest frank's v8 write up as a GREAT resource
                      Swanny!
                      SUCKERS.

Comment

So in the long run what would be the best (easier and cheapest ) route, going with the six speed, bigger heavier need to modify the drive shaft and trans brace, or five speed and changing over the front timing cover for the cps?
                        Six speed is easier, all the tricks are known and the resources are developed, including driveshaft, brace, etc. Besides, the m62 is best at low revs, so the six is a must if you intend to drive it on the road at reasonable revs.

Comment

Originally posted by TSI View Post
                          Six speed is easier, all the tricks are known and the resources are developed, including driveshaft, brace, etc. Besides, the m62 is best at low revs, so the six is a must if you intend to drive it on the road at reasonable revs.
                          thank you this is what i was looking for

Comment

With the 5 speed, you'll want a taller diff... like a 2.79 or 2.93 from an Eta in addition to the trigger wheel setup.

So that's what you're comparing to starting with the 6 speed.

Comment

First of all, you need to figure out what swap you're doing before you pick a transmission based off of whether it has a hole for a CPS that you may or may not even need.

The only reason you need a hole in the bell housing for the CPS is if you're keeping the engine OBD-II. If you're not, you'll be using an OBD-I harness, and you'll need the crank pulley CPS. That's easy, you just weld a bracket on the timing cover and you're done, and you use whatever trans your heart desires.

Furthermore, the e34 540i 420g's don't have the CPS in the bell housing, so unless you get an e39 420g, you'll be in the same boat as you'd be in with the zf310.

Originally posted by TSI View Post
                              The zf310 uses the factory e30 trans brace and a factory e30 driveshaft.

The 420g requires a modified trans brace and a custom driveshaft. I'd hardly consider that easier.
                              85 325e m60b44 6 speed / 89 535i
                              e30 restoration and V8 swap
                              24 Hours of Lemons e30 build

Comment

Working...
                              X