Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flipping outboard RTAB bolts

Hey guys...

Awhile back I had to tighten up my RTAB bolts... but I realized I did a silly thing when I did them a couple of years ago.

On the outboard bolts, I put the bolt head on the inboard side, so the locknut is on the outboard side, near the subframe bushings. When I was tightening, the space in there was getting tight and I was having trouble getting a box end wrench in and out of there.

If I get the car up on ramps, can I pull the outboard bolt and flip it, without any issues? Will the inboard bolt keep things steady and level to do this, or do I need to take more steps?

I want to flip them, because I still think there might be a little play there, but I can't get the wrench it, and using the open end to hold the locknut is a PITA.
    Estoguy
    1986 BMW 325, Alpenweiss ~ "Elsa"

Need a photographer, come visit my site: http://estoguy.wix.com/unique-perspectives

I don't think there will be enough space to flip the outer bolt, unless maybe if you drop the subframe and remove the bushing? Doesn't seem worth it.
    Originally posted by priapism
    My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
    Originally posted by shameson
    Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Ah crap... oh well. Might have to try a little more tightening as it is then.

Thanks for the input!
      Estoguy

Need a photographer, come visit my site: http://estoguy.wix.com/unique-perspectives

Comment

Originally posted by Northern View Post
        I don't think there will be enough space to flip the outer bolt, unless maybe if you drop the subframe and remove the bushing? Doesn't seem worth it.
        I don't think it's physically possible to flip, regardless. The subframe bushing gets in the way.

Edit: I have a modified wrench that i use for tightening this nut. Grind it for extra clearance and you should be able to turn the nut enough that you can get to the next face.
        2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD LBZ/Allison
        2002 BMW M3 Alpinweiß/Black
        1999 323i GTS2 Alpinweiß
        1995 M3 Dakargelb/Black
        - S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
        1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan
        1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black

Hers: 1996 Porsche 911 Turbo Black/Black
        Hers: 1988 325iX Coupe Diamantschwartz/Black 5spd

sigpic

Comment

You put them in the correct way, otherwise you could never remove the trailing arms with the sub frame in the car. The bolts need to be able to be pulled out towards the inboard side. As nrubenstein said, modify a cheap wrench - you might be able to a a starter (aka "S") wrench in there, but modifying one it the way I have seen most of us e30 owners do.
          john@m20guru.com
          Links:
          Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Thanks for the input guys. I was able to use a a thinner wrench at work... some no name "Drop Forged" wrench. A good bit thinner than what I have.

Guess I'll pick up a cheapy wrench and grind it down. Cheers!
            Estoguy

Comment

Originally posted by nrubenstein View Post
              I don't think it's physically possible to flip, regardless. The subframe bushing gets in the way.
              Exactly.
              Originally posted by priapism
              My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
              Originally posted by shameson
              Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Working...
              X