Vented hoods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vented hoods

In my never-ending quest to keep the beast cool, I'm looking at reducing underhood temps as much as possible. I'm thinking about adding vents or louvers to the hood, but I have yet to see an e30 with a vented hood that I actually like. Anyone have some pics or photos of e30s with vented or louvered hoods that they care to share? Looking for some ideas/inspiration.

Here's a tip I gleaned from vintage sedan racers: instead of louvering the hood, prop the rear of it up as much as possible. This helps the hot air flow out in a pretty direct path and doesn't require any cutting. It helped our customer's Cortina immensely, and that car came to us with hood louvers.
    Interested in vintage cars? Ever thought about racing one? Info, photos, videos, and more can be found at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!

Elva Courier build thread here!

Comment

Honda kids would space their hinges with washers and longer bolts. On an e30, spacers between the roller catch brackets and hood would be the way to go, also its M6 hardware.

Comment

Yes I've heard of shimming the hood, but I see 2 downsides: All that hot air immediately gets sucked into the HVAC system via the cowl vents, and the rear of the hood will sit above the fenders and skew the fitment/body lines.

But hey maybe I'm just being picky :P

Comment

Originally posted by CorvallisBMW View Post
          Yes I've heard of shimming the hood, but I see 2 downsides: All that hot air immediately gets sucked into the HVAC system via the cowl vents, and the rear of the hood will sit above the fenders and skew the fitment/body lines.

I mean its a convertible so you kinda got that alll natural AC haha so it would just make your heater kick ass in the winter. Imo hood vents should stay on the race cars as far as the e30 goes. Then its function over form cause nothing looks appealing really like you said

1989 325is l 1984 euro 320i l 1970 2002 Racecar
          1991 318i 4dr slick top

Euro spec 320i/Alpina B6 3.5 project(the never ending saga)
          Vintage race car revival (2002 content)
          Mtech 2 turbo restoration
          Brilliantrot slick top "build"

Comment

Originally posted by CorvallisBMW View Post

A. Engine overheats
            B. Weird fitment/body lines
            C. Big holes in hood, silly louvers

Is this an engine swap or something? Why's it running hot?
            Edit: Just saw your sig. Yeah, I mean you have to choose one of those, or get some extra air in/out with tubing.
            Last edited by ELVA164; 03-01-2017, 08:07 PM.
            Interested in vintage cars? Ever thought about racing one? Info, photos, videos, and more can be found at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!

Elva Courier build thread here!

Comment

Originally posted by ELVA164 View Post
              A. Engine overheats

M30 swap with m106 turbo setup. Its one busy bay with lots of heat producing parts.

1989 325is l 1984 euro 320i l 1970 2002 Racecar
              1991 318i 4dr slick top

Euro spec 320i/Alpina B6 3.5 project(the never ending saga)
              Vintage race car revival (2002 content)
              Mtech 2 turbo restoration
              Brilliantrot slick top "build"

Comment

Originally posted by ThatOneEuroE30 View Post
                I mean its a convertible so you kinda got that alll natural AC haha so it would just make your heater kick ass in the winter. Imo hood vents should stay on the race cars as far as the e30 goes. Then its function over form cause nothing looks appealing really like you said
                Haha well considering it lives in the garage in the winter I don't need any more heat. In fact since it's a summer-only car I really live the fact that my good ol' R12 system pumps out frigid cold air still. I've already removed the rubber seal that sits at the top of the engine bay (at the base of the cowl) and you can really feel the hot air coming out. Unfortunately, as I said, when sitting still (like in traffic) it gets sucked straight into the vents and blown in to my face. It's not a problem when I'm moving, but then again neither is the ambient temp since I've got all that wind in my hair . It's when I'm stopped in traffic, and the sun is beating down on me and I really want the A/C to work, that suddenly it falls on it's face because it's trying to cool down 180F air from the engine bay :p

Originally posted by ELVA164 View Post
                A. Engine overheats

Edit: Just saw your sig. Yeah, I mean you have to choose one of those, or get some extra air in/out with tubing.
                I'd love to git a huge mechanical puller fan, or find a bigger electric pusher, but I have yet to find any options that will fit :/

Comment

Working...
                X