Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another one of those E30 starting issues

Hi R3V members
    So where to start… let’s start at the power source, The battery. Checked it 10.4v and then send it in the store is purchased it from and all seems fine according to the them. They charged it up and sent it back and at full charge it read 12.4. Its currently running about 11.7v and with less than 9 months of ownership I won’t think it would be the problem.

Come to think of it, the issue only started after the car stood for a few days about 2 weeks. Before that the car run great. But now when I turn the key dash lights comes on as normal and not a crank.

10.9v at the starter with the key in P2 it drops to about 8v when the key is turned and the starter feels like it is turning very very slowly. I then opted to try using the 14 and 11 pin trick and with no hesitation it fires up. So the starter checks out fine. The car has an immobilizer but im not sure where start there and how to test that.

Could the crank position sensor be the cause? A quick look under the hood/bonet and it seems it has oil on it.(oil leak from the cam seal).

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by NathZz; 03-27-2017, 07:01 AM. Reason: .

Standing, battery should be >= 12.4 V

Running, battery should be @ 13.6 V

My guess is that your battery does not have enough juice to start the car consistently. If your running voltage is only 11.7 V then I suspect your alternator is on its death bed.

Comment

Running power is 12.6v. I also replaced the volt regulator not so long ago.

Comment

Running should be 13v+

Alternator still suspect.

Battert should hold 11ish v during starting.

Comment

Originally posted by NathZz View Post
          Running power is 12.6v. I also replaced the volt regulator not so long ago.
          I don't think this is sufficient to charge the battery.

Comment

Working...
          X