Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

16x8 "style 5?" rims. Redrill or adapters?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Everyone talks about the potential issues with a fill and drill but has anyone actually had an issue? I run filled and drilled style 5s and though I dont abuse my car....I have certainly gone on spirited driving runs and have never had an issue. Can anyone share examples of style 5 fails?

Comment

Do you have to roll the fenders with these wheels? Is the need to roll the fenders dependent on how much the car is lowered, if you use adapters or not or getting 205/50 vs 225/45 tires? I've got an early model (higher rear arches) that is on H&R sport springs (~1" drop or so), so plenty of room.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by cholyoke View Post
        Do you have to roll the fenders with these wheels? Is the need to roll the fenders dependent on how much the car is lowered, if you use adapters or not or getting 205/50 vs 225/45 tires? I've got an early model (higher rear arches) that is on H&R sport springs (~1" drop or so), so plenty of room.
        I have an early model with these wheels and didnt roll the fenders.

Comment

don't drill them, i hate to see a set of good wheels go to waste.
          Bought parts from me before? leave your feedback here

Comment

Originally posted by mr.vang View Post
            don't drill them, i hate to see a set of good wheels go to waste.
            How is it a waste if he uses them?

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberslowETA View Post
              I have an early model with these wheels and didnt roll the fenders.
              What size tires did you put on the wheels?
              sigpic

Comment

I'm running 225/45s on my filled and drilled style 5s

I have an 87 (early model) and I have lots of room on tokico springs.

Dan

Comment

Sorry, those are my old 205/50s on the left.

Dan

Comment

Just bought some 205/50 16" thanks for the photo went back and forth about the 45 or 50's
                    Imported from Detroit

Comment

Originally posted by frolf View Post
                      Sorry, those are my old 205/50s on the left.
                      Thanks. I like the 225/45s. Are you using the 8 mm spacer on the rear hubs also? Is the spacer in the front to clear the strut housing?
                      sigpic

Comment

No spacer in the rear, 5mm in the front to clear both the strut and the brake caliper.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by frolf View Post
                          No spacer in the rear, 5mm in the front to clear both the strut and the brake caliper.
                          steering heavier with the 8" wheels? Did you stagger your tire setup or just go square on all tires???

Def leaning towards this wheel set. Looks nice, OEM+ now i just have to find a place in the area that will fill+drill competently.

Comment

I am running 225/45s all the way around. They are definitely snug up front (no rubbing, but there isn't room for any more tire) but have lots of room in the back. I probably could have put 245s in the back, but I like the square set up.

Steering feels just as good as it did with 205s.

Plus, I think the 225's look a lot better in there as well.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberslowETA View Post
                              Everyone talks about the potential issues with a fill and drill but has anyone actually had an issue? I run filled and drilled style 5s and though I dont abuse my car....I have certainly gone on spirited driving runs and have never had an issue. Can anyone share examples of style 5 fails?
                              What I think most forget is that these wheels come off big HEAVY 7 series cars.

Comment

I had a wild idea here so bare with me.

It seems like we are talking about a ~3mm difference in offset being the issue when running 18mm adapters.

Has anyone thought about shaving a couple mm off the inside hub, increasing the offset so say 26mm or 28mm?

There is A TON of metal in there.

Thoughts?

Comment

Working...
                                X