No announcement yet.

M30 turbo rebuild thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have a few updates to add, nothing too exciting. Bolted on my e34 downpipes with new hardware. She's almost ready to come off the ground and take a drive to the exhaust shop.

Re-wrapped my wire harness to get rid of some unnecessary 5-series plugs and add a few connectors for my VDO gauges. But unfortunately I forgot to modify the harness for my "early" e30 with the c104 plug in the glove box. I thought I modified the car side back a few years ago, turns out I modified my other harness. It's the little things that get me.

Fixed my shifter that's been broken for a few years now. Spent hours the other day trying to get the little clip off the top of the tranny with no luck. The next day, I pulled it off in less than a minute. Replaced some of the bushings and now it feels amazingly stock again.

Also installed some SS brake lines and my 21mm front sway bar. The sway bar mounts were special order. And they didn't even come split to put them on the bar. What the hell? Luckily I own a handsaw.
    '86 E30
    '05 E53 X5
    '72 Firebird
    '10 Prius
    '03 Tundra

Comment

Are you planning on putting the turbo stuff back on or staying NA?

Comment

I'm on the fence about it. I love the m30 turbo but I might just stay n/a and legal. I do want this to be my dd and I have a lot of work to do to bring it back to drive-able form. The rest of my car isn't ready to handle turbo m30 power either (brakes and suspension)

My e30 is giving me lots of grief at the moment. Fuse #21 and 28 are pulling an unnecessary amount of amperage when the car is off and I can't trace where it's coming from. My check panel seems to be shorted as the check button doesn't work. And when I press on the brake pedal, I get a brake lights light and an oil level light.
        '86 E30
        '05 E53 X5
        '72 Firebird
        '10 Prius
        '03 Tundra

Comment

Turbo parts for sale

Here's a link to my turbo setup in the for sale section in case anyone in interested.
          '86 E30
          '05 E53 X5
          '72 Firebird
          '10 Prius
          '03 Tundra

Comment

Took her in to the exhaust shop this morning. I will have a video later today of how she sounds with everything complete. I'm hoping for a nice sound.

The setup I am going with consists of:
            E32 downpipes
            Magnaflow 36008 CA Cat (Dual In/Out)
            Y-Pipe
            Magnaflow 14416 Muffler (Single 2.5 In/Out)
            Off brand Muffler (Single 2.5 In/Dual Out with Tips)

'86 E30
            '05 E53 X5
            '72 Firebird
            '10 Prius
            '03 Tundra

Comment

Nice. Cant wait to hear it after.
              1991 335is in progress

Comment

'86 E30
                '05 E53 X5
                '72 Firebird
                '10 Prius
                '03 Tundra

Comment

Sounds so nice

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

deep growl, just how a big six should be. Open it up and let us hear!
                    1991 335is in progress

Comment

Followed your threads from the beginning... awesome to see you working on it but sad to see the turbo go... Lucky I live in a place where they don't give a waffle about the air! Looking to swap in a m30 as soon as funds allow, thanks for all your time in putting it on the webs so I can learn!
                      Originally posted by e30guydownunder
                      Stupid German wookie winning F1 WDC and beating Webs. waffleswaffleswaffleswaffles.

Comment

Oh yeah I remember this thing!

I had a feeling you were going to leave that turbo stuff off once you returned to stock again.

Keep it legal and enjoy!
                        ///Monstrosity. (OO≡≡[][]≡≡OO)

Aside from showing yourself to be offensive, lacking experience and ignorant in the ways of business, you're also illiterate and imprudent. Beyond that, your sense of liability is severely impaired.

Comment

Followed your threads from the beginning... awesome to see you working on it but sad to see the turbo go... Lucky I live in a place where they don't give a waffle about the air! Looking to swap in a m30 as soon as funds allow, thanks for all your time in putting it on the webs so I can learn!
                          Thank you! I'm glad I can help our e30 community in one way or another. CA is definitely the worst place to own a car.

Oh yeah I remember this thing!

I had a feeling you were going to leave that turbo stuff off once you returned to stock again.

Keep it legal and enjoy!
                          I will, I didn't want to get rid of the turbo stuff. For me, it wasn't practical anymore. Now an M60, that seems practical :)
                          '86 E30
                          '05 E53 X5
                          '72 Firebird
                          '10 Prius
                          '03 Tundra

Comment

19 month bump. did you ever get the m30 BAR'd?
                            sigpic

Comment

19 month bump. did you ever get the m30 BAR'd?
                              Haha no! I didn't. It's been on the back burner. I drive her about once every two weeks or so. I've got a couple issues I need to work out first.
                              '86 E30
                              '05 E53 X5
                              '72 Firebird
                              '10 Prius
                              '03 Tundra

Comment

Right on. I'm going to try and get mine legal soon.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X