Code:1222 | SOLVED | !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Code:1222 | SOLVED | !

Hey guys. I have one of those lack of power issues, that the m20 is kinda known to have. I am just looking for at home test to check for issues. I will say, I do have plans to buy a multimeter and fuel pressure tester. I do not have the funding for another week... 2 weeks vacation (unpaid) has hindered the budget. I have also lost a lot of my tools recently too. (damn local druggies)

Onto the point though!

Let me try and describe my issue. Only warm and at WOT. Small cutout, more akin to a stumble than a straight miss?

Here are a few questions.

I have heard that if the ICV is disconnected the RPMs are supposed to raise?

Am I going to have any issues disconnecting things to check for any issue? What can I just unplug and listen for changes?

How do I test a bad coolant temp sensor?

I have sprayed MAF cleaner all around the intake boot and manifold. No RPM jumps.

The issue happens above 5k and most below 2k, can someone please confirm if the MAF is useless at this range? Heard the 1.3 does use that signal anymore.

I adjusted the valves about two weeks ago. No help.

This is the list of things I am going to be doing next week while the driveshaft is out (being replaced with 1310 joints).

New Bosch Copper Plugs. Fuel Filter. Bosch Fuel Filter. Adjust valves again. Compression test and FPR test? The FPR vacuum hose is somewhat rotted, but no 'visible' holes. Could this be a culprit? Can I use any clear hose as a temp fix?

The car was sold to me with a 'JC' chip in the add. I took it with a grain of salt and fed her with 89 anyway. Could this be an issue a year later? I will pull the 1.3 apart and check for any tampering.

Just looking for things to add to the list while the e30 is down?

Stomp test shows code 1222, if that helps anyone. My ass can tell me everything that code does.

------ Long story short, it was the dist/rotor. Swapped TPS for a smooth idle afterward!! Stoked!
    Last edited by HerbE30; 06-27-2017, 07:53 AM.
    20% Accurate

Morty: Well Summer maybe people that create things aren’t concerned with your delicate sensibilities you know? Maybe the species that communicate with each other through a filter of your comfort are less evolved that the ones that just communicate? Maybe your problems are your own to deal with and maybe the public giving a shit about your feelings is a one way ticket to extinction.

Another thing I am going to keep an eye out for is the starting condition. There has been a couple of times it would turn and turn and when I would try it again it would fire up. Not sure if temp related.

Also the alternator and battery are new. Although when I turn my lights on I can hear the alt squeak? Maybe a voltage issue with that?

Just kinda posting this so I can have suggestions and the information can be available for others to go off.

The miss is not able to be replicated at a standstill (i.e. revving) only moving underload.
    Last edited by HerbE30; 01-20-2017, 12:47 PM.
    20% Accurate

Morty: Well Summer maybe people that create things aren’t concerned with your delicate sensibilities you know? Maybe the species that communicate with each other through a filter of your comfort are less evolved that the ones that just communicate? Maybe your problems are your own to deal with and maybe the public giving a shit about your feelings is a one way ticket to extinction.

Comment

First run of parts to be thrown. Next week. Any other smalls I should add just incase?

I will borrow a mulitmeter and split open the AFM and maybe adjust it...
      Bosch Fuel Filter.
      NGK ZGR5A
      OEM Injector rings (going to pull/clean/check)
      Intake Manifold gaskets? A lot of confusion as there are a couple of different styles. Looking at the Febi style that required 4 gaskets?
      Intake Boot.
      20% Accurate

Comment

Procedure for acquiring error codes from Bosch Motronic DME - aka 'Stomp Test' BMW e30 s, which are 1988 and newer, have Bosch Motronic versions M1.1, M1.3 and M.7 and can display fault diagnostic codes. Procedure for obtaining codes is:  For safety reasons, put the transmission in neutral, and tur

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Went to reset the code today on a smoke break. The code was gone? Could not get any flash. Nor the no codes banked code.... I hate 1222. New o2 has been added to the list.
          20% Accurate

Comment

If the car is chipped, run 91 gas or higher. Your ignition timing is advanced.

Check all grounds and electrical connections including the injector harness below the intake.

Check fuel delivery as well as pressure, then...

Comment

Wait MAF? On an E30? So you're running a specific MAF tune?

Comment

If the car is chipped, run 91 gas or higher. Your ignition timing is advanced.

Check all grounds and electrical connections including the injector harness below the intake.

Check fuel delivery as well as pressure, then...
                I will split the ecu open and check for a chip. Or check my rev limits..

then... leakdown and compression...

Wait MAF? On an E30? So you're running a specific MAF tune?
                Sorry. I followed through with the MAF word after using the MAF cleaner. It is the AFM poop-box.
                20% Accurate

Comment

Just reread but could have still missed it:
                  Try cleaning your TPS and giving both the TPS and AFM a check with a multimeter. I'm on my phone but you should be able to find a diy of the tests with a quick search.

Check the CPS gap as well, should be 1mm

Comment

Originally posted by squidmaster View Post
                    Just reread but could have still missed it:
                    Try cleaning your TPS and giving both the TPS and AFM a check with a multimeter. I'm on my phone but you should be able to find a diy of the tests with a quick search.

Check the CPS gap as well, should be 1mm
                    Pulled the TPS recently and cleaned it. It was nasty as well as loose. Check clearance as well.

I have seen the test for the AFM and will be doing thatsoon. Hopefully the sweeper arm adjustment too.

I was on break again just checking codes and the 1222 has since disappeared. Only to be replaced with 1215. Will clean and adjust the afm this weekend once I can find a more detailed test.

I am assuming that the temp sensor circuit is shot, since issue is not at all present when cold. There's a local m20 e34 I'll pull the unit from and test both

I attempted the test a couple of days ago and was fighting a borrowed multimeter and gave up.

BTW Squid. Thanks for the contribution (not only to this thread). I have since come to the realization that someone else will be needing to do my ecu work. You'll be the first man I contact!
                    20% Accurate

Comment

Which temp sensor? Intake? It's integrated into the AFM, might as well get a friend's or something to test that out

cheers

Comment

Originally posted by squidmaster View Post
                        Which temp sensor? Intake? It's integrated into the AFM, might as well get a friend's or something to test that out

cheers
                        I have no friends with an M20. Or any e30/bmw friends.

The temp sensor that is integrated within the AFM. The local yard should have it to me for about 10$.
                        20% Accurate

Comment

Originally posted by HerbE30 View Post
                          I have no friends.
                          Is what I meant to say. ;)
                          20% Accurate

Comment

Updated: Went to the local scrapper. Found an m20b25 525, that the rear end was burnt. Pullled the AFM will swap tonight and update anyone Tuesday, if not earlier.
                            20% Accurate

Comment

Swapped in the junkyard AFM. No changes. (Will adjust one of the spares to check)
                              Bosch Fuel Filter. No Changes.

Leaving work in a few to grab ZGR5As, I will post pics of the plug condition. Along with a VERY thorough valve adjustment.

When unplugging the ICV, no changes. When unplugging the vacuum for the FPR, issues. The car acts like it wants to due?

It's not at a particular RPM just usually below 2k and above 4.5/5k?

I WILL FIGURE THIS OUT! ...
                              20% Accurate

Comment

Working...
                              X