Any interest in an M30 Turbo Kit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any interest in an M30 Turbo Kit?

Is there any interest in a bolt on m30 turbo kit? At this time all I can find is the TCD kit which only includes a T4 turbo manifold air to water intercooler, and a RRFPR/chip.

If the manifold had a t3 option, was priced more competitively (in line with some of the M20 turbo kits out there) and had some sort of support with Megasquirt, who would be interested? This could also apply to 528e guys if there were an adapter for the M1.0 35 pin ECU to 55 pin Megasquirt units. What do you guys think?
    318iS Track Rat :nice: www.drive4corners.com
    '86 325iX 3.1 Stroker Turbo '86 S38B36 325

No one makes this car anymore. The government won't allow them, normal people won't buy them. So it's up to us: the freaks, the weirdos, the informed. To buy them, to appreciate them, and most importantly, to drive them.

Originally posted by downforce22 View Post
    Is there any interest in a bolt on m30 turbo kit? At this time all I can find is the TCD kit which only includes a T4 turbo manifold air to water intercooler, and a RRFPR/chip.

If the manifold had a t3 option, was priced more competitively (in line with some of the M20 turbo kits out there) and had some sort of support with Megasquirt, who would be interested? This could also apply to 528e guys if there were an adapter for the M1.0 35 pin ECU to 55 pin Megasquirt units. What do you guys think?

I think the M30 swap is a thing of the past but if its comparable to the KAmotors turbo bolt on kit ($3500ish) it could be revived. The M30 is a great reliable strong motor and getting very cheap these days but not a whole lot of reasonable aftermarket parts

Comment

Originally posted by Shftr8 View Post
      I think the M30 swap is a thing of the past but if its comparable to the KAmotors turbo bolt on kit ($3500ish) it could be revived. The M30 is a great reliable strong motor and getting very cheap these days but not a whole lot of reasonable aftermarket parts
      Yes that's true, the M30 lacks the glitz-and-glamour (*cough* technology *cough*) of the more modern engines, but its precisely the low cost, simplicity and reliability of the M20/M30 that appeal to me.

If I wasn't already working for a performance automotive shop, buying a Kit-based turbo kit would easily be the best option to save time on fabrication compared to making my own.

It is still sometimes a better option for our customers who can't afford the budget a full custom kit requires.

Comment

m30 swap is definitely not a thing of the past, esp. since s5x motors are getting long enough in the tooth that you'll need to do a refresh for pretty much every one you'd find.

they're stupid simple, you don't need to mess with the wiring, you don't need a custom trans mount, you don't need a custom shift linkage. more displacement gets you better return on lower boost levels. the block is near indestructible.
        cars beep boop

Comment

I completely agree with you guys. As far as simplicity and reliability its hard to beat a M30. But as far as aftermarket support it doesn't even come close to a M/S5x or even the M20 really. That's why I was saying that if there were more of that stuff then it might appeal to more people. I would love to do a Turbo M30 swap but I don't have the time to make and piece together a custom kit

Comment

kameron does sell an M30 turbo manifold and can probably put together an adapted kit if you ask.. http://kamotorsperformance.com/r-s-i...nal-wastegate/
            cars beep boop

Comment

also not sure what you mean about lacking aftermarket. the M30 has more of a racing heritage than the M20 does.

Cams are available, Ross and JE make pistons for them, IE makes gnarly rockers and probably still has some exhaust manifolds (e30 fitment is spotty though), you can get race coated bearings and valves.. pretty much anything you might need as far as engine internals go.

Sure, there's not an ebay bolt-on turbo kit for it, but that's probably because it doesn't need a turbo to make more than 200hp :)
              cars beep boop

Comment

Originally posted by kronus View Post
                kameron does sell an M30 turbo manifold and can probably put together an adapted kit if you ask.. http://kamotorsperformance.com/r-s-i...nal-wastegate/
                But does it fit in the E30 engine bay. As far as aftermarket race parts there is just a very limited selection of options compared to the others from what I have seen. Take your basics like exhaust headers. M50 has cheap $100 headers all the way up to $850+ the cheapest M30 headers I could find were somewhere around the $400 range. Once again its been awhile since I have looked. But If I were doing a M30 swap because of the low cost and simplicity of it I wouldn't want to spend $400 on something that I may have to cut up and tweak to make work if at all. Everyone has there preferences and I love the M30 as an engine but if price were the same I would pick the M52 over the M30 stock verse stock. but if someone made a reasonable bolt on turbo kit that could sway me very easily.

Comment

Working...
                X