M30 sliding forward under hard brake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M30 sliding forward under hard brake

I'm using garagistic swap mounts for an 89' b35 in an 87' e30 chassis. Revshift 95a mount on the drivers side, and custom 98a on the header side.

At best I get a 1/4 inch of clearance between the radiator and the distributor cover, then after heavy braking I'm about a sheet of paper from touching.

This happened once before and I pushed the engine back and cranked down the mounts. Now its back. I feel like if I hit something the engine would just keep going...

Solutions?

- The swap mounts have oversized holes - make spacers to fill the voids so it can't slip forward

- Fab one of those bushings that hang off the block and push against the subframe

- Yer doing something wrong

On one of my big swaps I have adjustable steel mounts similar to Hartge H35 and H35-24. I had no issue sliding forward. I did add metal to between the gaps to prevent any movement.
    Projects Hartge,Alpina & AC Schnitzer Builds.http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=280601
    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=227993
    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=289362

DSC04926 by Raul Salinas, on FlickrDSC03413 by Raul Salinas, on Flickr

Comment

Could be the oversize holes. How big are the washers under the urethane mount nut? A bigger washer might give more grip on the arm if you can't find a shim to fill the gap?

Don't worry about whether the engine will touch the radiator if you hit something - it definitely will! The radiators are pretty tough though, I rear ended someone in mine, and with the radiator severely bent it still held coolant so I could get home.

Great looking swap you have there by the way! Well done.
      My e30: OEM+ with M30B35

Comment

Could be the oversize holes. How big are the washers under the urethane mount nut? A bigger washer might give more grip on the arm if you can't find a shim to fill the gap?

Don't worry about whether the engine will touch the radiator if you hit something - it definitely will! The radiators are pretty tough though, I rear ended someone in mine, and with the radiator severely bent it still held coolant so I could get home.

Great looking swap you have there by the way! Well done.

Impressive! lol. And thank you I appreciate it, turned out to be quite the project.

The rev shift mounts are somewhere around 40mm, the mount I put together uses a 60mm washer so there's a good amount of surface area there. I think by design its prone to slip.

I did add metal to between the gaps to prevent any movement.
        I think this will be the ticket. I'm gonna cut down some steel tube to sleeve the bolts to the appropriate size.

Additionally I'm going to fab a mount to hit the sub frame in the event of a sudden stop. The M20b27 had one on the lower pan/bell housing piece and it rested between the sway bar and subframe. Part 14/15 in this image.

[IMG][/IMG]

Comment

Working...
        X