How bad is it lol

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How bad is it lol

I'm pretty sure this head is no good but thought I'd post these by the off chance it may be salvageable or if this is a common theme for the 885 heads.

grabbed a m20b25 for a song, Just wanted the head etc. for the head swap.

The water passages are deteriorating by the looks of it.

It doesn't look pretty, just depends how deep the corrosion spots are and weather they can be removed with a skim.

And also depends if the head has been skimmed before. There are minimum head thicknesses in the Bentley manual, look it up and measure your head to compare. Then measure how much you reckon needs to be removed to get the head flat. You might be lucky, or you might not be.

Comment

That's way thicker than you could hope to machine off.

You'll be much better off finding another head. I assume it shouldn't be too hard to find one near you in ON.
      Originally posted by priapism
      My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
      Originally posted by shameson
      Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

There are machine marks on the head
        if it goes deeper than those
        it shouldn't be done.

They're shallow holes around the head
        you'll see them.

Comment

...that's pretty bad...

t
          now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Originally posted by e30davie View Post
            It doesn't look pretty, just depends how deep the corrosion spots are and weather they can be removed with a skim.

And also depends if the head has been skimmed before. There are minimum head thicknesses in the Bentley manual, look it up and measure your head to compare. Then measure how much you reckon needs to be removed to get the head flat. You might be lucky, or you might not be.
            Originally posted by LowR3V'in View Post
            There are machine marks on the head
            if it goes deeper than those
            it shouldn't be done.

They're shallow holes around the head
            you'll see them.
            I've found the Bentley measurements for the head of machining, .3mm, but this is mentioned to keep a safe distance when matched to the proper block (I head to the 2.5 block or the ETA head to the 2.7 block). As my goal is to slap the 885 head on the 2.7 block, does anyone know how much can be skimmed off before compromising the head in anyway?
            I'm guessing these circular indents are the machine depth markings you spoke of?

My understanding is that the 2.7 with 885 head has more room to spare as the compression ratio drops off ?

Feel free to correct me - if a new head is needed, so be it

Comment

Wow- from that pic, I'd just start looking for a new head. That's a HUGE corrosion divot
              in a critical sealing area...

t
              now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Originally posted by TobyB View Post
                Wow- from that pic, I'd just start looking for a new head. That's a HUGE corrosion divot
                in a critical sealing area...

t
                That's what I was thinking when i got the picture in comparison to the machining markings lol. starting to look for a new head or full m20b25 to drop in at the moment.

Appreciate the info

Comment

I'd never use it, but I also bet if you cleaned it up (acid washed it) and put it back together it would be fine for longer than you'd own the car.
                  AWD > RWD

Comment

A bit of welding and a skim cut would fix it.

Comment

Working...
                    X