Oil leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil leak

Need some help, just experience an oil leak on my 89 325is and can't find the source. Oil is coming from the right side beneath the manifold from between the engine and gear box plate when started and then runs down to the bottom.

Thought it could be a rear seal but unsure, some guys suggest it could be the cam shaft half moon plugs which I checked today and they look ok (unsure what happens under pressure). Also gasket around the valve cover is ok. I ordered all 4 plugs and gasket to replace just in case.

Ran my hand behind there and it had oil residue but doesn't look to be the source (car wasn't running).

Has anyone experience this before? Need some help ASAP, dip stick is reading below the lowest level. Attached are some picks.

Thanks ahead of time.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Flexx; 03-26-2017, 03:37 PM. Reason: Info

well, add some oil...

then take a careful look underneath. If it's the rear main, you'll see oil evidence all the way around.

When you don't, get a small mirror on a stick and a bright light, and a bunch
    of rags and bandaids. Because I too would be looking carefully at the back of the head.

Not much else back there, unless it's running back along the top of the block, then
    falling off behind. Again, the mirror and light.

The bandaids are for all the cuts you'll get trying to clean off gunk to see fresh oil.

Good luck!

t
    now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Have you checked your rocker shaft end plugs? They get missed all the time when people do valve cover seals, there are two on the front of the head and two on the back.
      sigpic

Comment

Thanks for the info and yea, they aren't bad but don't know how they perform under pressure. Plan on replacing those also.
        Last edited by Flexx; 03-27-2017, 03:39 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X