DIY - Walbro 255 fuel pump retrofit.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dewme5 View Post
    Dual pump, is a low pressure lift pump, then a high pressure external pump. You can remove the external pump, and connect the hoses, then replace your internal pump with a high pressure in-tank pump.

ok i understand that part, im just confused on what hoses go where and what electrical connectors go where?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
    M30 is God's motor.....but Jesus drives an M60'd car -slammin.e28

Comment

heres a review after having this in for about a year now. Works great, but its loud :)

Comment

Please define loud...

Also, what kind of sound deadening/interior is still in the car?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        My E30 v1.0 | v2.0 | v3.0 | My E28 |My E34 | My feedback

Comment

higher pitched whine, almost like a whistling noise. also its a vert so the only things between the cabin and the fuel pump is the metal plate and my rear seat.

Comment

I have had no problems with it though.

Comment

Does this mod work well with E30 M3's? I'm thinking about doing this mod on mines since my went out..
              IG: SJZOOSUAVEBOY

Comment

Walbro pump works great in all applications

Comment

Has anyone else had to put a slightly larger fuse in the fuse box for this pump? A friend and I both put these in and started popping a fuse for the pump. It was fixed by dropping in a fuse that was one step larger than stock.
                  Anyone else have this?

Comment

Bringing thread back from the dead, walboro400 e85 pump barely fits

Comment

Originally posted by dougie30 View Post
                      ok i understand that part, im just confused on what hoses go where and what electrical connectors go where?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
                      I'm wondering this too, as I'm sure I'm going to have to do this job at some point.

Anyone know of a DIY?
                      Estoguy
                      1986 BMW 325, Alpenweiss ~ "Elsa"

Need a photographer, come visit my site: http://estoguy.wix.com/unique-perspectives

Comment

SOOOO just from reading this I am confused. Is it worth spending the extra 60 bucks for a new one from pelican? Is this thing to short to not run the tank till empty or to long?

Comment

Originally posted by madman23 View Post
                          Is it worth spending the extra 60 bucks for a new one from pelican? Is this thing to short to not run the tank till empty or to long?
                          I went back to the OEM pump. Following this DIY introduced starvation issues at AutoX events and mountain road carving anywhere below about half a tank.

The pumps themselves are great, though IMO they should be used by folks who can fab up a better way of mounting them in the tank than simply bending the rod from the OEM assembly.
                          Originally posted by kronus
                          would be in depending on tip slant and tube size

Comment

Bam, right on with the starvation.

This is yet another reason why I prefer early model e30's for track shenanigans. The fuel tank pump that feeds the external pump makes hooking up a Surge tank easy as cake since everything is there already. I grabbed a 1 liter inline unit from 034motorsports.

Originally posted by agent View Post
                            I went back to the OEM pump. Following this DIY introduced starvation issues at AutoX events and mountain road carving anywhere below about half a tank.

The pumps themselves are great, though IMO they should be used by folks who can fab up a better way of mounting them in the tank than simply bending the rod from the OEM assembly.

Comment

Originally posted by the imitator View Post
                              Bam, right on with the starvation.

This is yet another reason why I prefer early model e30's for track shenanigans. The fuel tank pump that feeds the external pump makes hooking up a Surge tank easy as cake since everything is there already. I grabbed a 1 liter inline unit from 034motorsports.
                              Yup, I swapped out my stock pump for the TRE version and now I'm suffering from fuel starvation at the track....Now I've gotta decide what is easiest and cheapest.
                              1991 318is sold!
                              1989 325=track car--S52'd
                              Durango R/T for towing.
                              >>>Build thread<<<
                              M235i daily driver

Comment

So aside starvation issues at the track, if vehicle is just a daily on the road, the Walbro and Tre pumps are a great option?? assuming no starvation issues as a result not pushing g's (turns) on the road as on the track.

Comment

Working...
                                X