Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

E30 Antenna Fix DIY - Antenna not going all the way up or down?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E30 Antenna Fix DIY - Antenna not going all the way up or down?

Ok, after looking for some previous documentation on an actual e30 antenna fix DIY and coming up empty I decided to tackle it myself.

If you have a non working antenna on your e30 and that's about 99% of you then here's what you need to do. If your antenna cable is actually broken or missing teeth (hearing clicking noises) then yes you need a new one. You can follow this DIY after you purchase a replacement mast.

Mine was only raising the first section and then stopping, the motor would stop trying, I heard no clicking noises so it was safe to assume all the collapsed sections were just frozen together on mine.

First you need to remove the mast. Get an adjustable wrench and gently unscrew the top nut of the mast until it's clicking (doesn't unscrew any more). Have a friend turn the ignition to ON and turn on the radio or you can jump in and turn it on and then quickly run to the mast and pull on it as it tries to raise it up. Keep pulling until it's completely out. Now you can inspect the cable for damage and get a new one if necessary.

Here is what I assembled after removing the mast:

Douse liberal amounts of WD-40 everywhere and try to extend the mast from the top. If you can do this with your hands then awesome... I could not for the life of me. I slipped the 12mm box wrench down the shaft, adjusted the other wrench so it would hold the top and then STOOD on the adjustable wrench to keep it in place then I pulled with all my strength. Still nothing. More WD, then using the same setup I held one wrench in one hand and then I would quickly slide the other one back as hard as I could over and over again. Basically you just need to break the oxidation and crud that has built up over the years.

Eventually you should get the mast completely extended with liberal doses of WD on each segment. With the mast fully extended I took some Bar Keepers Friend and polished the mast :oops: ahemm. Got all of the crud off and made sure after plenty of cycling it in and out with WD that there were no rough spots. I then took some lithium grease and put some on each segment and cycled it again. Basically you should be able to take hold of the cable and push the mast to be fully extended without much force and then suck it back up again.

Now I've heard that there are some way more skilled people out there than me and they turned on the radio, waited until the motor stopped, threaded the cable (teeth facing the rear) down the hole as far as it could go then had a friend turn OFF the radio as it sucked back up the cable and mast, tighten the nut, wallahh you're done. I couldn't get it to catch.

Removing the motor is easy-peasy... bend down the plastic carpet walls for access, take a 10mm and remove the ground bolt towards the top and unscrew the coaxial antenna cable. Now push on the bottom of the motor housing towards the side of the car and it will slide off the mounting bracket. With some minor cursing you should be able to wiggle it out if there.

Take a screwdriver and gently insert it under the tabs and turn just enough to release it... then move on to the next one.

Now with it open you can see what is going on and also inspect for damage. I put a couple of dabs of lithium grease on the cable itself. Thread the cable down the hole with the teeth facing the correct way. I actually had to pull out the motor itself to get the cable to catch properly but once it's started then you manually turn the little wheel which in turn pulls the cable back in... continue until it's fully in and seated. Tighten the top nut and then reinstall!

Mine works great now with excellent reception... crossing my fingers it lasts a while. I like to at least try fix everything myself, and it saves you $30+ if you can save your existing mast.
    Originally posted by e30guydownunder
    Stupid German wookie winning F1 WDC and beating Webs. waffleswaffleswaffleswaffles.

If I recall correctly, the owners manual recommends lubricating the metal shaft parts monthly.

Comment

Thank you for this.

I was just working on this and I'm now waiting for my antenna to arrive. This will be helpful.
      Andrew
      91 325iA sedan - lagunengrün-metallic

Comment

I think BMW actually sold (maybe still sells?) antenna lube
        -Build http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=295277

Comment

Good writeup.

I keep a box of spare antenna motors on hand since it seems there's always a need. As much time as Ive spent trying to "repair" masts it only seems temporary at best. Since I found this source for OEM masts for $13. I dont try to fix them anymore.

FYI the little black rubber bumpers that are under and on top of the motor have a way of wandering off so keep an eye on them as you remove the motor cover.

...and you guys are way too into "mast lube & polishing" :)
          Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
          Alice the Time Capsule
          http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
          87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

fyi if you get a new mast then you'll have a hell of a time trying to get the cord to retract properly...trying to fix this issue right now
            Renting my rear wheel bearing tool kit. SIR
            http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c5...ps6debf0b0.jpg

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

Originally posted by jeffnhiscars View Post
              Good writeup.

I keep a box of spare antenna motors on hand since it seems there's always a need. As much time as Ive spent trying to "repair" masts it only seems temporary at best. Since I found this source for OEM masts for $13. I dont try to fix them anymore.

FYI the little black rubber bumpers that are under and on top of the motor have a way of wandering off so keep an eye on them as you remove the motor cover.

is the $14 one from autohaus good? do you know if it comes with a nut? I always combine a bunch of stuff when i order from them to get free shipping and I noticed they have masts.

--Mike
              (OO=[][]=OO) For Life

Comment

I disconnected my antenna, I always hated the look. Worked 100% to, hopefully It works when I decided to listen to the radio again. Otherwise I got this DIY :up:

1992 M tech 2 Convertible - S50 Swap
                1992 e34 Touring- S50 Swap
                1992 325i-S50 Swap (SOLD)

1995 e36 M3 Mugello Red - S50 (SOLD)
                1991 325i Convertible Laguna Green (SOLD)
                1987 325i (SOLD);1992 M tech 2 Convertible (SOLD)
                1988 325i Convertible Alpine White (SOLD)
                Brilliantrot Convertible 80k Miles (SOLD)
                1992 325i Convertible Schwarz (SOLD)
                1992 318i Convertible Project-Finished (SOLD)

Comment

I tried to repair my antenna and I messed it up even more. Now I'm antenna less Lol

Comment

I needed a new mast. So I got a new one
                    Installed it. Still does not function properly. I think my motor gears are bad...motor still can be heard but just don't think gears are doing their job.
                    ACS S3 Build / Dinan 5 E34

Comment

I have a two month old OEM hirschmann w brand new never used grommet for sale if anyone is interested. Pm me
                      www.instagram.com/snwmble
                      #snwmble

Current:
                      '05 BMW M3 - Silver Grey/Imola Red
                      '90 BMW 325iX - Sterling Silver/Houndstooth sport(5-speed converted)
                      '15 Mini Countryman - Blazing Red/Carbon Black

Past:
                      '01 Audi Allroad - Light Silver/Platinum Saber Black
                      '88 BMW 325iX - Diamond Schwarz/Silver sport *Sold*
                      '01.5 1.8TQ - Brilliant Black/Nogaro Alcantara ...after 8.5yrs, *Sold* =(
                      '90 BMW 325i - Schwarz/Tan sport *Sold*
                      '89 BMW 325ix - Diamond Schwarz/Black sport *Sold*

Comment

just installed my chrome antenna from antennamastsrus.com

Im very happy and mine the teeth retracted it first try on the e28 :)

good quality antenna for $20

Comment

Originally posted by HawaiianE30 View Post
                          Mine works great now with excellent reception... crossing my fingers it lasts a while. I like to at least try fix everything myself, and it saves you $30+ if you can save your existing mast.
                          Thanks for all the tips! I followed them all was able to service my antenna and get it to retract and extend fully again. :)

Comment

Originally posted by jeffnhiscars View Post
                            Good writeup.

As much as I appreciate lubing and polishing, I followed the link and bought a new mast since mine is both corroded and slightly bent. Thanks for the tip! :up:

Comment

Working...
                            X