Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Okay...so it's Sanden time. Please help un-confuse me about all this...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Okay...so it's Sanden time. Please help un-confuse me about all this...

Hi guys,

So I finally finished my A/C system. Rebuilt compressor, new hoses/receiver-dryer/pressure switch/condenser/expansion valve. Get it to the shop, have them make a hose that fits the Nippondenso. Pull a vacuum, have a leak. Shaft seal.

This is starting to cost a lot more time an money than I expected and I'm pretty fed up. I'm buying a new compressor either way, and Sanden seems to be the best option since I have to buy it anyway. I read other threads about this and people seem to use the SD-7, some mention the SD5H14...they were old threads so are some of these numbers defunct? There appear to be different varieties of SD-7s but I think they're just related to pulley type. Anybody have an idea?

I also found these for sale at Summit: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/vta-046702/overview/
    It says it's made by Vintage Air but also says Sanden and refers to it as a Sanden. Copy? Rebranding? Good idea or bad?

I know no matter what I'll need different brackets, but I actually have a Sanden here with a bracket. I'm assuming there are a variety of body styles but the picture on the above website looks pretty close to the compressor I have; any knowledge about this out there? The model number of the one I have is U 9285.

Finally, I found no final word on whether or not I'm going to have to get more hoses made to fit a Sanden compressor. The fittings look to be the correct size but are obviously in a different location.

Sorry for all the questions, but maybe this can be a good info source for people in the future. Thanks so much, I just want to get this finished and move on.

-Mike
    Interested in vintage cars? Ever thought about racing one? Info, photos, videos, and more can be found at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!

Elva Courier build thread here!

Just to update, I called Summit today and it turns out the SD-7 photo on their website is actually an inaccurate representation; the picture matches a 508 body style, which is what I ordered. For others' reference, it cost just under $200 with free shipping which I think is pretty reasonable. It also seems about guaranteed I will need to make lines to fit it.

Here's a link to the compressor I bought:
    Free Shipping - Vintage Air Air Conditioning Compressors with qualifying orders of $109. Shop Air Conditioning Compressors at Summit Racing.
    Interested in vintage cars? Ever thought about racing one? Info, photos, videos, and more can be found at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!

Comment

Mike I haven't put an AC in my E but I have ran the Sanden Vintage Air units before. I had one in a 73 Plymouth Scamp car, and another in a 78 Camaro. Both were excellent products and worked flawlessly.
      sigpic87 325E The Honey Badger

Comment

Here's a pic of the Scamp, I beat myself up everyday for selling this car for what I did, it had the 340 RT engine for anyone who knows what that is.
        Attached Files
        sigpic87 325E The Honey Badger

Comment

Very cool, you don't see Scamps very often! :up:

Comment

Good info. I'm redoing my AC system right now. May go this route.

Comment

Working...
            X