Custom exhaust help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Custom exhaust help

So Friday night my cat decided to pretty much catch on fire - smoking like crazy and had to limp the car home.

This is my first exhaust I'll be putting together, so I need a little help. Here is what I am thinking.

IE Shorty Headers ->
    Magnaflow Y pipe #10748->
    Magnaflow Cat #91006 ->
    Vibrant Muffler 1148

Here is my crude drawing - excuse the shitty drawing and bad hand writing

I am also getting new manifold studs/bolts and exhaust manifold gasket with heat shields. I will be taking this to a shop for them to weld up.

What else do I need?
    Where should I have them put flanges or vbands?
    Do I need a flex pipe somewhere?
    Do I also need a resonator between the cat and muffler?

Much appreciated!
    sigpic

89' 325is - Alpine

Also this is a stock M20 - 1990 325is
    sigpic

89' 325is - Alpine

Comment

Short headers do nothing really, buy these instead:

These are the best Asian made m20 headers quality wise + they actually work as headers, not just free flow exhaust like the short pipe manifolds
      Or wait for another group buy and get the real thing:
      My transaction feedback on r3vlimited :):Clickety click

Comment

Right, I've heard they don't really do anything. I was just getting them for vanity sake i guess. Other than eBay ones, those are the only ones I know of in that price range.

Have you ran the longtube ebay headers? I wonder what the fitment is like for them? I've read that the ebay headers usually have bad fitment.

Like I said, this is my first exhaust setup so I'm open for all suggestions/recommendations. I'm not trying to break the bank either, so trying to keep it around 7-800.
        sigpic

89' 325is - Alpine

Comment

Originally posted by VBe30 View Post
          Right, I've heard they don't really do anything. I was just getting them for vanity sake i guess. Other than eBay ones, those are the only ones I know of in that price range.

Have you ran the longtube ebay headers? I wonder what the fitment is like for them? I've read that the ebay headers usually have bad fitment.

Like I said, this is my first exhaust setup so I'm open for all suggestions/recommendations. I'm not trying to break the bank either, so trying to keep it around 7-800.

Save up your money and buy the BavAuto ones. I've heard of (but never experienced) poor fitment issues with the flanges. Plus they aren't Chinese reps. If you were run 24v I'd say get the eBay ones because they fit the best in E30s, but in this case, because there's a better alternative, go with the BavAuto ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          Originally posted by flyboyx
          how about if i yank the anal beads out of your ass like i'm trying to pull start a chain saw?
          Originally posted by Northern
          beer is my new liver cleanse.

Henna - '84 Hennarot 325e
          Lola - '89 Schwarz 325is - being saved
          Christine - '88 Schwarz 325is - Spec E30 Racecar
          '01 White F150 Lariat 4x4 Supercrew - Daily
          Dad's '05 Interlagosblau M3

Comment

I have them sitting in a box, awaiting installation in a list of other jobs. Flanges are quite flat when checked with a straight edge, sold my Schnitzer headers to get these.
            These are not your typical ebay headers, this thread comes to mind first, but there were other, generally positive posts: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=233325
            My transaction feedback on r3vlimited :):Clickety click

Comment

I too am needing to replace my exhaust, and this thread is relevant to my interests.
              Do you not need an O2 sensor? where would you put it? Could a bung just be welded in the "Y"?

Also, is there a need for a flex pipe?
              Last edited by RedlineE30; 09-30-2014, 10:34 AM. Reason: Asked another question

Comment

I have a setup very similar to this. IE shorty to a magnaflow cat 2.5 in and out, then 2.5 straight to a magnaflow 14815. Reason for choosing the shorty headers is for the access to the oil filter. Some people have problems with the ebay long tubes not fitting right and causing the oil filter to be too hot.

Comment

How loud do you want this to be? This is going to be fairly loud over stock.
                  REMEMBER: Be safe and have fun is Rule Number 1.

The Epic Unbuild of Clint Eastwood

Comment

Working...
                  X