Body paint change vs value

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by stonea View Post
    I don't see it hurting the value, but also I don't see the point. If you are starting out with an Alpine White car, but want a Calypso then just buy a Calypso. However if you want a color like Imola Red that never came on the e30 then thats a different story.
    The biggest issue, IMO, is going from a desirable color (Alpine) to an undesirable color (Calypso).
    2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD LBZ/Allison
    2002 BMW M3 Alpinweiß/Black
    1999 323i GTS2 Alpinweiß
    1995 M3 Dakargelb/Black
    - S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
    1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan
    1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black

Hers: 1996 Porsche 911 Turbo Black/Black
    Hers: 1988 325iX Coupe Diamantschwartz/Black 5spd

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by nrubenstein View Post
      The biggest issue, IMO, is going from a desirable color (Alpine) to an undesirable color (Calypso).
      Depends who you talk to.

I couldnt' give two shits about Alpine. Anything else other than e30 red, white and black, are to me, far more desirable (Cirrus, Zobel, Cosmos etc.)
      If it's got tits or tires, it's gonna cost ya!

Comment

Originally posted by nrubenstein View Post
        Calypsorot is definitely a lot less appealing than Alpine imo.
        Fixed that for you.

White is so boring....you see white e30s all the time compared to calypso.
        Current:
        1989 325i
        1988 M3
        1987 325ic
        Past:
        2001 330ci
        2001 M3

Comment

Thanks for all the responses! I'm mixed in opinion myself because I know she is already going into the paint booth for the mirrors, hood, trunk, and a quarter panel at the least.

I agree that the Alpine white is pretty, but you just see too many of them (which seems to be a shared opinion). I've loved the Calypsorot Metallic ever since I was a youth, and while I know it's biting off a ton of work I know it'll look beautiful.

I'm interested in hearing more thoughts, keep em' coming

Comment

here's my take:

first of all, it depends on if the color change is done well or not. when i say "well", i mean pulling out the engine, trunk felts, and interior to repaint everything on the car that was originally white. if you do that, then i would say the car will be worth the same as if it was the factory color.

anything less will certainly lessen the value of the car.

i want to qualify my statement above by saying that i believe this to be true today based on the value of these cars where they sit now. in the future 10 years when an average car is with 15-18k, i do not believe this will still be true. as values rise, there will be more and more buyers that want an all original car.

with that said, i am a guy with a white car that doesn't particularly love white. at least it isn't my favorite e30 color. i am a big fan of calypso. i say paint the fucker!
            sigpic
            Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
            92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
            88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
            88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
            87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
            12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

Bronzit is definitely a lot less appealing than Alpine.
              3 of the 4 cars I've painted used to be white. Not personally a fan. That's me.

do what you want, do it well.

t
              now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

If you're gonna spend the money to paint it anything other than non-original, why not paint it something no E30 has ever been?

Is this really about resale value? Unless the car is special, the best money is to sell it and buy a calypso. $5k E30 with a $10k paint job is a $5k E30 in a color that you like. A $60k M3 with a $15k color change is a $50k M3 in a color you like. Any car with a $5k paint job isn't one I'd want to own a decade later...so...

If it were me, and I intended to keep it for a while, I'd paint it Carbon Black and never look back. Hell, maybe Porsche Alas Grey. Maybe some shit from the 60s.

I wouldn't worry much about the unseen spots—how often are people eyeballing your engine bay? It would cost more to do a full-car paint job (taking the car apart) than you'd recoup in resale on a run-of-the-mill E30.

Comment

Working...
                X