Another first timer looking for an E30

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jmg View Post
    Thanks for all the replies everyone. Still not sure if I want a 318is or 325is. Any pros and cons of each? Are the performance gains worth the 325is?
    I've been driving E30's for many years now, but it wasn't until the first of this year that I bought my first 318is. I can honestly say that the 318is has been the most fun to drive of all of them..and that includes owning a couple of E30 M3's and a few 325is'. No, it's not as fast, but the best way I can describe it is 'eager'. The engine just wants to rev, and rev's easily. The M20 engine feels like it is spinning in molasses in comparison.

The light weight and dimensions of the engine allow the car to feel very light on it's feet. Mine has the stock suspension and springs, and I would not change it for anything. It rides very well, especially for 27 year old worn out shocks. The steering feels very light but direct, the shift action is very smooth and accurate, and...well it just feels very effortless to drive.

Now if I was going to be driving at high speeds for relatively long distances, then I don't think the 318is would be my choice. With the 4.10 diff, at 75-80MPH it is turning at a very high RPM that can get tiresome quickly, as the engine can be a bit noisy. In that case I would rather have a 325i/is, or maybe just install a 3.73 diff in the 318is.

Try to drive both and see what you like the best. I know that for years I wouldn't even consider the 318is because of the 4 cylinder engine, but now I realize that was a big mistake. It's not all about the power, but how it drives and feels.
    Eric Giles
    '20 M2 CS
    '04 M3
    '11 X5 35D
    '87 325is
    '91 325i Sport

There are few things more expensive than a cheap BMW...

Comment

12v straight sixes sound soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo good.
      Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

I'd take a 325i over the 318 any day.
        Estoguy
        1986 BMW 325, Alpenweiss ~ "Elsa"

Need a photographer, come visit my site: http://estoguy.wix.com/unique-perspectives

Comment

i drive mine every day all year... 15 years now. it has 246k on the clock. i've maintained every part and system religiously. its all oem. its a solid daily beast. has never failed me once. get one.
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          '90 325i sedan daily driven
          '85 325e coupe also a daily

Comment

Working...
          X