• Show
Clear All

More than that.
    cars beep boop

Comment

Scum class 318 + Mtech + vortech v2 + unicorns

Originally posted by kronus View Post
      More than that.

The slip doesn't work in reverse right? I can spin the DS but it takes some effort with a lever, feels like clutch slip.

I don't see how the diff could break with a stock s52. If if was a 4:10 maybe

I'll have to open it up and see.. Gotta change the gear oil anyway. That Mobil 1 $20 per bottle stuff doesn't work well. Diff was groaning with low speed turns

Diff wizardry still eludes me but I found a spec indicating breakaway torque for a single wheel is 65 ft lbs. I would be breaking loose both clutches with the DS so about double but not quite double the force, let's say 120 ft lbs. I estimate it's about 80 that I'm putting on there, which seems inline with the LSD mileage which I believe to be right around 200k
      Last edited by pandaboo911; 05-26-2017, 01:03 PM.

Comment

the LSD has equal ramps, so the breakaway torque should be similar in both directions.
        cars beep boop

Comment

Awesome thread!

I wasn't on R3v much during your build, but I wish I would of been. Reminds me of my supercharged S52, albeit with a Rotrex C30 piece of crap.

That much power was awesome. Excited to see where you go with this.
          My previous build (currently E30-less)
          http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=170390

A 2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4x4 Offroad in Inferno is my newest obsession

Comment

Scum class 318 + Mtech + vortech v2 + unicorns

Bad news, clutch & PP look fine..

Flywheel...

I guess the diff is hooped
            Last edited by pandaboo911; 05-26-2017, 05:32 PM.

Comment

Scum class 318 + Mtech + vortech v2 + unicorns - vortech + Turrrrbo

So I'm having second thoughts about purchasing this ebay clutch.. I guess you get what you pay for.

The rivets protrude pretty far up. There's less material thickness than on my very worn oem Sachs disk, and this thing is a brand new clutch.

Being a 6 puck, it would probably wear faster than the Sachs, and destroy my pressure plate and flywheel in short order if it wears down.

The gap between top of the clutch surface and rivet is only ~1.4mm.

In contrast the oem clutch which has already worn past the wear blocks still has more material left on it.

Does anyone have experience with these clutches? All the reviews are good but they are reviewed immediately after install.

After looking at some pics of a clutchmaster fx400, they look about the same

Any input is appreciated
              Last edited by pandaboo911; 05-27-2017, 05:04 PM.

Comment

Anyone used the softest revshift motor mounts (black)?

Comment

actually the material used in that 6 puck is going to wear much much slower than an OEM sachs. Those fckers are burly so you can smash on that btch and itll still grab. Install it and enjoy the massive chatter that is awaits you.

Turbo M42 Build Thread :Here
                  Ig:ryno_pzk
                  I like the tuna here.
                  Originally posted by lambo
                  Buttchug. The official poster child of r3v.

Comment

Make sure to put an oem throw out bearing in with it or you will be pulling that transmission again in less than 5k miles
                    1989 325i LS Swap (Money Pit):https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=244933
                    COTM Feb 2019: https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=428404

Comment

Scum class 318 + Mtech + vortech v2 + unicorns - vortech + Turrrrbo

Originally posted by Pootis View Post
                      Make sure to put an oem throw out bearing in with it or you will be pulling that transmission again in less than 5k miles
                      Yeah i didn't use the included throw out or pilot bearing. I reused the old ones, only had 10k miles on them

Originally posted by Dj Buttchug View Post
                      actually the material used in that 6 puck is going to wear much much slower than an OEM sachs. Those fckers are burly so you can smash on that btch and itll still grab. Install it and enjoy the massive chatter that is awaits you.
                      can confirm, chatter is nearly unbearable.
                      Gonna switch back to rubber trans mounts w/ cups and softer engine mounts.
                      Last edited by pandaboo911; 06-16-2017, 06:06 PM.

Comment

So let's begin the tear down for the 3rd time!! Yay blown headgasket.

The plan this time is to do it right, no shortcuts, no re-used crush washers, re-used gaskets. None of that shit.

Gonna run a CES cutring w/ copper spacer. I feel like $500 is a little steep for what it is, but seems like it's best headgasket out there.

Finished up the OBD2 harness, I went though the whole thing with harness tape and replaced any broken wire sleeves. Looks super factory.

Started taking shit off the engine. If anyone wants an obd1 valve cover lmk, it's powder coated black. I'll be running the plastic obd2 cover again.

This is where I left off.
                        Later!

Comment

Headgasket arrived, will post install pics

As expected it's just a copper plate cut on a water jet
                          The gasket is an off the shelf part, looks like they cut the cylinder sealing rings out and the cut rings go in their place.

Cut rings and really nicely machined parts

Comment

Unfortunately after taking the head off I found evidence of detonation, likely due to the restriction in the gas tank I had, causing low fuel pressure.

The damage is limited to 2 cylinders, pieces of the piston crown are missing and have bounced around causing damage to the cylinder walls and head. Strangely the cylinders were all even at about 180psi across the board, with cylinder 6 being lower at 170 due to the blown headgasket.

Pics:

There's also cracks forming between the spark plug hole and exhaust valve seat, but these seem to be common. They are in the same exact spot in 4 out of 6 cylinders and won't leak coolant.

Gonna file down the sharp edges and run it anyway potstir

Comment

Got the block cleaned up, smoothed out the sharp edges on the piston, hopefully the holes won't cause hot spots..

Comment

Tell me about this aluminum block you're searching for ? :)
                                Simon
                                Current Cars:
                                -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Working...
                                X