Strangest Wiring Harness Ever M50 swap HELP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Strangest Wiring Harness Ever M50 swap HELP

Okay so I've been trying to get this car finished for a while and I'm hoping to be driving it by the end of the weekend. The only problem I have no idea what is up with this harness.

Car is a 91 318i

So it looks like all of the stuff that is normally driverside is supposed to go inside the car with the dme plug. I have no clue about blue and green. Maybe one of them is for the c104?

Orange looks like it would go to the power dist block but I'm hesitant because it is about 3 feet too long.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

What is your harness from?

Your "wtf" circle looks like an auto trans connector. Orange looks like power. The one in your hand looks like a ground with an aftermarket eyelet on it. Can't you just check continuity between it and another ground to check and see if it's ground or what? No idea what blue is.
    84 325e - 91 325i - 92 318 touring - 91 Trans Am - 01 S4 avant - 03 S-type R - 96 F350
    Manual swap all the things!

Comment

I don't think the green(wtf) is auto simply because there are no other strange wires in the rest of the harness. I was under the impression that there would be a lot of left over wires if it was auto.

I'm currently working on getting some other wiring done so that The rest of the harness is grounded. That way I can test it with a multi meter.

Also, I have no idea other than the fact that it was from a vanos motor.

Comment

E34 Harness has that style of automatic harness connector, E36 did it way differently.

Comment

This harness is so messed up. I just realized that it doesn't have a wire to go from the battery terminal to the starter.

So you can confirm it is an e34 harness?

Comment

Definitely an E34 harness. The relays would be on the driver side if it were an E36 harness
            '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

Okay so definitely an e34. Got it wired up. Left the green and blue unplugged (will cut if i can confirm they are for auto)

Turned the car over. Getting spark and fuel to the rail but it seems that the injectors are not firing. I put some gas in the manifold and it's started for all of a quarter second.

It got too dark out so I had to quit for this weekend, but strangely enough when I checked continuity from the injector harness ground (that goes to the fuel rail) to the chassis I got nothing. Is that because the key wasn't on? I know the injectors always get + voltage and the ecu allows the - current through to fire the injectors. Any advise on how to troubleshoot?

EDIT: I'm missing my check panel and I noticed the third light down is blinking and then solid. its the 318 panel and I literally could not find a picture anywhere. Does someone know what it is?
              Last edited by Fritz_Wetherbee; 07-15-2013, 10:23 AM.

Comment

Which ground are you talking about? The small one at the front of the head? Isn't that the ground for you cam/crank position sensor or something? If no spark I'd be looking at the crank position sensor and it's wiring.
                84 325e - 91 325i - 92 318 touring - 91 Trans Am - 01 S4 avant - 03 S-type R - 96 F350

Comment

He's got spark, and fuel at the rail. Injectors not firing is the problem.
                  The best one-stop shopping for German car parts and lifestyle: http://www.gutenparts.com/

Comment

Duuurr.. I can read, I promise.

Comment

My injectors woudn't fire, and I eventially figured out that it was an orange/brown wire that I thought was a ground. When I pulled the shielding off further I realized it was actually red and had just faded to look brown. It turned out to be the main power source for the injectors and most of the harness.

So that blue thing in your hand might not be a ground.
                      1991 318is sold!
                      1989 325=track car--S52'd
                      Durango R/T for towing.
                      >>>Build thread<<<
                      M235i daily driver

Comment

I'll check that out. Thanks for the tip!

Comment

im having the same issue i have a 95 525 motor and harness in a 86 325 i have spark and fuel to the rail but the injectors will not pulse .. did u ever figure out your issue?

Comment

We were using some high impedance injectors that weren't compatible with the ECU. We swapped the injectors out for stock ones and she fired right up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                            The best one-stop shopping for German car parts and lifestyle: http://www.gutenparts.com/

Comment

uhm, the M5x motors use high impedance injectors.. there aren't "higher" resistance ones. so the ones that didn't work were probably dead.

also, no 24v harness comes with the wire from the battery to the starter. that's an E30 thing.
                              Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Working...
                              X