M30 OEM Turbo project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ak- View Post
    Shit, did I tell you one goes to ground instead of 12v and the other to the ECU?
    Sorry if I confused you.
    IIRC you said one wire to 12V, one to the ECU. Is that not correct? Should it be one to GND and one to the ECU?

Comment

More turbo pics! It's in the mail and should be here next week :up:

Comment

M30 OEM Turbo project

More photos! Turbo arrived yesterday and look incredible; can't wait to bolt it up and go for a drive!

Comment

that is all
          I BUY/SELL REFURBISHED CM5907s & CM5908s

HOWTOs:
          DB vert plastic bumpers
          OEM Keys
          MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
          91 ic Calypso 3.1
          86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

reelizmpro: I will always be an e30 guy.. I still do all of my own labor
          TrentW: There's just something so right about a well-built M20 in an E30
          e30m3s54turbo: I save my money for tuner parts.

Comment

oh my, that is inducing some chub...
            2.7i Stroker Turbo Build Thread

90 325i | 95 Miata

Comment

M30 OEM Turbo project

I spent a lot of time this weekend getting everything put back together. Needless to say installing the turbo, wastegate, and exhaust was much harder than removing it! I fought for hours trying to get the exhaust to line up on both the turbo and the wastegate, only to later realize that if I kept one of the fittings loose, the other was much easier to align! Sometimes you'd think I was a total newb at this stuff... Anyway, my wrists and forearms are sore af from lying under the car and wrestling with all the piping, turbo bits, and exhaust stuff. But it's all in and running! I fired it up and let it warm up with some fresh oil. Lots of smokey-smoke from the antiseize burning off the hardware and such, but no other issues. The idle is hunting like a motherfucker and is all over the place; no idea why, as I haven't touched a thing since the turbo went bad. I need to dig in to MS and figure out what's going on, and program the EBC. First though I need to put the insurance back on! Here's some photos.

Front side, pre-turbo blanket

Back side with turbo blanket installed

Comment

Got the whole thing buttoned up last night and fired her up. Cold idle seemed good, but once it got warm the idle started hunting like mad. It also likes to dip in RPMs when coming down after reving, and I have no idea why. It was running great when I put it away, and I haven't touched the MS system since. Not really sure what's going on...

Comment

Man I still have my M106 turbo and every time I see this thread it makes me want to put it in something.
                  My Garage
                  2001 Z3 2.5i Steel Gray/Black (Lexi)
                  1988 325ix Diamond Schwartz/Black (Izzy)
                  1989 325i Cirrus Blue/Houndstooth (Stitch)
                  Feedback

Instagram: Stone.Hopkins

Comment

If you didn't change the programming, I'd look at mechanical problems. Maybe a vacuum (boost) leak or a bad ICV?

Comment

Originally posted by AndrewBird View Post
                      If you didn't change the programming, I'd look at mechanical problems. Maybe a vacuum (boost) leak or a bad ICV?
                      That was my thought too, but I never touched any of those things. My plan is to get some remote tuning done by one of the experts over at the MSEXTRA forums, and go from there. It's so fast and easy for them to log in via Teamviewer or something like that and literally do remote live tuning, that I'd rather start there and verify that it's all done correctly before I go chasing my own tale for weeks on end.

Comment

Damn I love reading through your thread. Seeing the new upgraded turbo is making me so excited to do the same thing with my old 745 parts! I can't wait to see it in person!

Bahama Beige E23 Project
                        Bluebird Bus Conversion
                        New Oregon Trail

Comment

What a thread! Just read it start to finish.

Any updates since April?

Comment

Just read the whole thread over a few day and amazing work. very inspiring for me to get back at my car. Mines slightly different but same end goal. Have you had any luck with tuning your idle on the car yet? i have some ideas but if you arent watching your thread any more it would be silly to write everything in here that i can give you advice on....

Anyways love to hear more and see what you have figured out since last may

Comment

Originally posted by bornagain View Post
                              Just read the whole thread over a few day and amazing work. very inspiring for me to get back at my car. Mines slightly different but same end goal. Have you had any luck with tuning your idle on the car yet? i have some ideas but if you arent watching your thread any more it would be silly to write everything in here that i can give you advice on....

Anyways love to hear more and see what you have figured out since last may
                              Ya I've definitely let this thread slide, not because I haven't been driving the car, but because my daughter was born in May and that's left a lot less time for projects haha.

I'm slowly getting the idle improved via MS. I know most guys run in open-loop, but I could never get it to idle consistently; one day it would be fine, the next it would idle at 2k. So I spent a good amount of time setting up closed-loop, and it's actually running quite well. My biggest issue is that the idle dips too low when returning from reving, before oscillating 2-3 times and eventually settling down. I can't seem to figure it out, but it's driving me nuts!

Comment

Originally posted by CorvallisBMW View Post
                                Ya I've definitely let this thread slide, not because I haven't been driving the car, but because my daughter was born in May and that's left a lot less time for projects haha.

I'm slowly getting the idle improved via MS. I know most guys run in open-loop, but I could never get it to idle consistently; one day it would be fine, the next it would idle at 2k. So I spent a good amount of time setting up closed-loop, and it's actually running quite well. My biggest issue is that the idle dips too low when returning from reving, before oscillating 2-3 times and eventually settling down. I can't seem to figure it out, but it's driving me nuts!

My car does the same thing. You can try one of these three things. In my case I did all 3.

1. Add some throttle hang on deceleration so it doesn’t drop so fast and allows the car to slowly come back to idle.

2. Add or pull some icv duty

3. Add more air at idle by opening the gap on the throttle plate. Stock is set to .002 and i bumped mine to .004 and it seems to have helped the most.

1989 325is l 1984 euro 320i l 1970 2002 Racecar
                                1991 318i 4dr slick top

Euro spec 320i/Alpina B6 3.5 project(the never ending saga)
                                Vintage race car revival (2002 content)
                                Mtech 2 turbo restoration
                                Brilliantrot slick top "build"

Comment

Working...
                                X