Camber plates or sway bars?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Camber plates or sway bars?

I'm in the process of refreshing my e30 for hpde. After engine maintenance, brakes, springs and shocks, what's next? I'm thinking either sways or camber plates. What's the best bang for the buck?

Cabrio front sway from the junkyard and camber plates.

NEW ERA AUTO GLASS - SFV SOCAL - 818 974-3673
    DREWLIENTE

1$ PShops PM me

Comment

Start with sway bars. Cabrio sway bars are a good upgrade becuase they are beefier. Just be careful because some cabrios have the same sway bars out of a regular E30s. Front should be a diameter or 21mm and the rear should be 12 mm. I've heard great things about Ireland Engineering Sway Bars but they are a bit pricey. Bav Auto makes some good ones too. Let us know what you decide!

Comment

Well what spring rates are you running? Sway bars should be matched to your springs, and are really dependent on driver preference. For instance I don't run a rear bar on the track but I'll reconnect it for an autocross so I can get the car to rotate easier.
        -Alex

Comment

remember, bigger front = more understeer. bigger rear bar = more oversteer.
          '84 318i M10B18 147- Safari Beige
          NA: 93whp/90ftlbs, MS2E w/ LC, 2-Step
          Turbo: 221whp/214ftlbs, MS3x flex @ 17psi

Comment

Without camber plates, I would always get excessive outside tire wear at track.

87 4dr specE30: Bitsy (lurking above), 89 4dr 325i blau, 91 318is brillrot, 90 325ivertbronzit

Comment

I think a proper amount (3+ degrees) of front camber will make a bigger difference than sways unless you have totally wimpy spring rates.

Front sway on these cars is more important than rear. Not sure why, just my experience. Guessing it has to do with suspension design. It seems to help with understeer more than it hurts. Both bars is obviously best, along with proper adjustable endlinks.

Comment

Originally posted by lcoleman View Post

Front sway on these cars is more important than rear. Not sure why, just my experience.
                It's because the E30 uses a really short spring in the rear and there aren't any standard or 2.5" springs that are short and soft enough when we're talking performance/race use. As a result rear spring rates are artificially high (given that's what available). This is why many tinkering racers try different combos and end up running adjusters that use a 2.25" spring (that is available in some of the shorter, softer rates).
                ADAMS Autosport

Comment

Originally posted by Jaxx_ View Post
                  remember, bigger front = more understeer.
                  Except, of course, on cars with McPherson front struts. In which case the exact opposite is true (up to a point).
                  sigpic
                  1987 Mercedes 190E 2.3-16: Vintage Racer
                  2010 BMW (E90) 335xi sedan: Grocery Getter

Comment

Originally posted by SkiFree View Post
                    It's because the E30 uses a really short spring in the rear and there aren't any standard or 2.5" springs that are short and soft enough when we're talking performance/race use. As a result rear spring rates are artificially high (given that's what available). This is why many tinkering racers try different combos and end up running adjusters that use a 2.25" spring (that is available in some of the shorter, softer rates).
                    Interesting, I always thought the high rear spring rates on 02's/E30's were due to the inboard positioning of the spring perch which changed the wheel rate, necessitating a higher spring rate. So I take it that means a softer rear spring than something like what H&R Races are supplied with will actually calm the rear end down?
                    75' M42 Powered 2002
                    AW 318is

Comment

I think a proper amount (3+ degrees) of front camber will make a bigger difference than sways
                      I have found this to be true. The E30 doesn't have enough front camber for radial tires
                      when tracked. Even as a relatively under- driven 'a few play laps' car.

As to rear rates, yes, the rear rate is high because the spring rate's something like
                      .68 or so of the wheel rate, and that math is squared. So for a car with
                      #600 in front and rear, the front wheel rate might be #550, but the rear would be
                      more like #300.

And sway bars will depend in great deal on what springs you're running...
                      And as well, I found a 5" 2.25" spring with fixed spacers was a lot better than coil bind!

Now if I could just find that pot of gold at the end of that pesky rainbow...

t
                      now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

I found a local deal for KMAC Stage 2 camber/caster plates. After some further research it seems KMACs are less desirable than GC, UUC, etc. Anyone have experience with them on here?

My current suspension setup consists of HR Race/Billy Sports, 205/50/15 w/TRM 15x8s, Condor offset fcabs. I'll primarily do hpde, drive to and from the track, no dd.

Car is an 87 325e 11/86 build (327i in the next week or two).

Thanks for the input thus far.

Comment

For a car like that I'd rather have plates with a spherical bearing and full adjustability (and I do!). You really need to be pushing the spring perch to where it touches/almost touches the stock strut towers for the best results. For me, the resulted in about -3.1* per side.

Comment

Which camber plates are you running?

Originally posted by lcoleman View Post
                            For a car like that I'd rather have plates with a spherical bearing and full adjustability (and I do!). You really need to be pushing the spring perch to where it touches/almost touches the stock strut towers for the best results. For me, the resulted in about -3.1* per side.

Comment

I have Vorschlags and love them. I've also worked with GC plates, and they're quality as well. I'd give a slight edge to Vorschlag, but more $$.

Comment

Working...
                              X