No announcement yet.

m60 vs s52 vs ford 5.0 vs LS1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd definitely keep the motor BMW, and if you're after practicality then S52 wins. However personally I find them extremely over done (but theres a reason for that). My vote is for the M60 swap because why not?
    My Garage
    2001 Z3 2.5i Steel Gray/Black (Lexi)
    1988 325ix Diamond Schwartz/Black (Izzy)
    1989 325i Cirrus Blue/Houndstooth (Stitch)
    Feedback

Instagram: Stone.Hopkins

Comment

The answer is always m30, with boost.
      Jah bless! :pimp:

Comment

I'm still stuck on the M60. I think its the one - I like the idea of a fast non-M engine in a non-M e30. Also I like the idea b.c my favorite BMW racers from when I started getting into cars (early 2000's forward) have v8's.

If I ever got the opportunity to swap an e46 M3 I'd put a s62 in there.

The poll results are very interesting. I work at a data driven job and when you have splits like we have here across 47 (currently) different respondents you get a real sense of the general consensus. Being that there is none except that the 5.0 is a waste of time.

Comment

s52 because I'm biased
          Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

1989 BMW 325i SOLD
          1998 BMW Estoril Blue e36 M3/4/5 SOLD
          1987 BMW 325 (The Piece) SOLD
          1991 BMW 318is S52 swap (The Beast) Now Driving Project Thread: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=234207

Comment

You guys out side of California are pretty lucky. California forces you to get a BAR certificate for an engine swap other than factory, which is pretty gruelling. If you have a motor that did not come from the factory with a turbo, the cops will fire a warning shot into your head just for thinking about it. They do engine bay searches if you get pulled over. They will even charge you with rape and munder for installing headers.

Seriously though, a K&N filter will get you sent to a BAR referee and punishment is severe.

ATTENTION:

FOR THOSE WHO HAVE NOT DONE SO, PLEASE DO SO AT THIS TIME

Comment

How much are s54's these days? potstir
              Euro S50 Daily Driver: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=279195

Comment

Originally posted by Luke_M View Post
                the only reason that wasn't on this list was b/c I'm thinking their too much. The tunning and fab work is the killer. The motor's themselves I've seen for ~$3k.

The front subframe mod sketches me out.

Comment

You need to LS swap it ,you can't beat it.........really you can't. I'm a Muscle car guy at heart before i got into Euro. :devil:
                  Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

garage queen 91 bmw 325is / 1972 Chevy El Camino 355 sbc 450hp

Comment

Originally posted by Brezzi View Post
                    I like the idea of a fast non-M engine in a non-M e30.
                    I don't know if you're talking about a S52 or M62
                    My Garage
                    2001 Z3 2.5i Steel Gray/Black (Lexi)
                    1988 325ix Diamond Schwartz/Black (Izzy)
                    1989 325i Cirrus Blue/Houndstooth (Stitch)
                    Feedback

Instagram: Stone.Hopkins

Comment

LSx is cheap reliable power in my opinion. You could go to pep boys or autozone to hop it up too. You can find the parts anywhere.

I only say cheap because the parts to make power are cheaper in comparison to the others.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke_M View Post
                        Originally posted by Brezzi View Post
                        the only reason that wasn't on this list was b/c I'm thinking their too much. The tunning and fab work is the killer. The motor's themselves I've seen for ~$3k.
                        Not only expensive, S54s are heavy! 217kg (478lbs) according to this. That's 19lbs shy of the Vorshlag's weigh in of an M20 with its transmission, and it's all hanging out over the front of the car. Muh weight distribution!

FWIW an LS1 weighs also weighs about 480lbs fully dressed (also weighed by Vorshlag), and it puts the weight further down and back than the S54 potstir
                        Last edited by varg; 10-21-2016, 07:48 PM.

IG @turbovarg
                        '91 318is, M20 turbo
                        [CoTM: 4-18]
                        '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
                        - updated 1-26

Comment

From someone who has done a v8 swap, keep an inline 6 in there and add boost.

The engine is capable of every bit of power an lsx is, more power than a 302 block will hold, and you don't have to alter the vehicle.
                          No E30 Club
                          Originally posted by MrBurgundy
                          Anyways, mustangs are gay and mini vans are faster than your car, you just have to deal with that.

Comment

what about finding a crashed ford ecoboost car? i am really thinking of getting one of the 2.3l engines. idk how i would mate it to my trans tho...sorry not BMW tho.

Comment

Kidding? Not kidding?
                              sigpic
                              Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
                              92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
                              88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
                              88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
                              87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
                              12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

Ah a s54 isnt that heavy and is basically like an s52 install wise with the exception of the brake booster. That's assuming you use an e34 pan and go third party on the wire harness and ecu tune. It's much more proven than any ls1 swap. But the v8s are super cool no matter which one you go with. Can't go wrong either way if fun is the goal.

The s54 only adds a small amount of cash and complication over an s52 but still has everyday driver potential and 400hp potential without boost and still using a bmw engine.
                                Euro S50 Daily Driver: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=279195

Comment

Working...
                                X