#FAKENEWS and its effects.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

#FAKENEWS and its effects.

I think this thread really needs to happen. We all need to sit down, and Identify Examples, and what its doing to our Nations Politics.

This is a problem that doesn't have to major of a bias, it effects all sides.
    (Also note, negative news about current presidents is not fake, no matter what some media, or even political leaders, tell you. Its the same situation, they are capitalizing off the controversy of the current leader to make money in most cases. In some they are stating hard facts however, and you need to read and understand it).

Yes, There is a lot more Pro-Trump fake news (mainly because of how his first week or two is going), especially on specific sites, but the example below is a pretty good one on how its being used on the other side as well.

The president’s tumultuous first weeks in office could influence uptick in viral sharing of misleading articles and propaganda that stoke progressive anxieties

The article above describes how news was being pushed on Facebook recently that police officers were actively aggression the protesters, burning their camps, and some sites even declared that 'The police had the right to open fire on the DAPL protesters'.

The amount of fake news people are consuming sets a dangerous precedent for our country's togetherness as a whole, threatening to split everyone into predefined groups of hate.

There are however people pushing to identify sites and debunk them:

Facebook is easily the biggest offender of this, having almost no filter whatsoever on what is posted, and liked. This leads to outright Bullshit being plastered all over facebook, no matter the bias. The worst part about it, is that the majority of it is bought and paid for by people who want to generate controversy, and spread misinformation.

I think personally, and many agree from what I've read in many articles, that the fix to this fake news overload is individuals taking control over their consumption. People have gotten so sucked into social media, almost only reading headlines, liking, and moving on. No one reads anymore, no one sources arguments, its almost entirely verbatim for sensationalist posts they skimmed through earlier in their news feed. There is an obvious attempt by some media outlets to take advantage of the population of America, and other countries around the globe, to stir hate or controversy in the pursuit of profit.

We as a people need to be vigilant, read articles before we use them as evidence, making sure those articles are not making broad sweeping statements without evidence to back them up. We also need to be vigilant about our own tongues, making sure we do not also make things up to support our arguments.

Finally, For all peoples benefit; stop posting BS on facebook, everyone, everywhere, is sick of it. Facebook is not a platform to berate your friends and family about their political choices, save it for the dinner table. :)
    1989 BMW 325is | 2019 Ford Ranger FX4
    willschnitz

#lovetrumpsall or #trumplovesall

Seriously though, research is a lost skill, sensationalism sucks, and healthy debates are gone.
    Last edited by R3Z3N; 02-06-2017, 05:09 PM.

Comment

Its definitely a multi-faceted problem. One deeply rooted in the individualist level in our consumerist era (see 'A Brave New World'). The other rooted in politicians and companies taking advantage of us to promote their lies (see '1984').

People need to step back, read, and not give into the sensationalism that has taken over. All news is not fake news, but some is, and we need to be on guard.
      willschnitz

Comment

Evaluating Sources of Information

This is written towards books and scholarly publications but clearly there's a few people in here who could learn a thing or two about properly evaluating source material.

Comment

Definitely still applicable, for most their years of Research Paper writing is far behind them.
          willschnitz

Comment

Editorializing isn't the issue necessarily, its seeing it and then wading through it. The thing that most people fail to see is that every news outlet (every, last, stinking, one) has their own slant and their own agenda.
            Si vis pacem, para bellum.

New Hawtness: 1995 540i/6 Claptrap
            Defunct too: Cirrusblau m30 Project
            Defunct (sold): Alta Vista

79 Bronco SHTF Build

Comment

It can be dangerous to get into the mindset that all news is out to take advantage of you however, there are individuals at news sites and papers that are just there to report the news, inform people on things they think people should know.

The problem is now its turned into such a money game.
              willschnitz

Comment

Originally posted by Wschnitz View Post
                The problem is now
                Honestly, as long as news has been reported, this has been an issue. (see Yellow Journalism)

Going back to Pulitzer vs Hearst - it's no different then Fox vs MSNBC or whichever...

I'd go so far as to say there has NEVER been a truly unbiased news source. It's the same reason police try to get multiple witnesses to a crime - there is always different view points of the same event, and everyone thinks their view was accurate/correct. Even the most dedicated news reporter will have a slight bent or filter. Whether it's just a slight generalization ("Those young kids") can tinge how an even is viewed.

It's just particularly visible now because like was mentioned, FB, social media..etc have proliferated so much in the last 10 years.

What I find interesting, is the people who are most guilty of clogging my FB feed with regurgitated opinionated news stories are people who should really know better. Most are 40+ and make a decent living. Perhaps they have too much time on their hands or need a better hobby.

1991 325i MT2 Touring (JDM bro)
                2016 Ford Flex
                2011 Audi A3 - wife's other German car

Comment

Originally posted by Thomas Jefferson
                  The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers.
                  Originally posted by Fusion
                  If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
                  The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
                  William Pitt-

Comment

Well some of you are taking this for a discussion on news bias, this is not what I'm trying to make an argument about.

This is entirely how certain websites, which I plan to go through and list a few and examples of why, are manufacturing completely fake, or heavily sensationalized news. Meant to get people worked up, over something that probably never happened.
                    willschnitz

Comment

This should be good Schnitz. I am delighted to sit in your class so you can learn us all.

79 Bronco SHTF Build

Comment

Originally posted by Wschnitz View Post
                        Well some of you are taking this for a discussion on news bias, this is not what I'm trying to make an argument about.

This is entirely how certain websites, which I plan to go through and list a few and examples of why, are manufacturing completely fake, or heavily sensationalized news. Meant to get people worked up, over something that probably never happened.
                        You mean like this:

Though instead of getting circulation up, it's getting clicks.
                        1991 325i MT2 Touring (JDM bro)
                        2016 Ford Flex
                        2011 Audi A3 - wife's other German car

Comment

Originally posted by djjerme View Post
                          You mean like this:

Which is exactly the same as circulation because both clicks and circulation = revenue.
                          Last edited by marshallnoise; 02-07-2017, 11:55 AM.

79 Bronco SHTF Build

Comment

Originally posted by djjerme View Post
                            You mean like this:

Yeah except that clickbait doesn't have one percent of the effort put into it that creative writing does.

All the effort goes into the title, and nothing into the content of the article.

One weird trick to get you to click this article! Editors hate it!

Comment

This is a pretty different issue, mainly brought about by the overuse of social media and facebook today.
                              willschnitz

Comment

Working...
                              X