Before Trump, the Media Loved “Alternative Facts”

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Before Trump, the Media Loved “Alternative Facts”

Non partisan article on how the US media has been feeding its readers with Fake News for decades and never saw a problem before...

From the false 1964 Gulf of Tonkin attack that triggered the Vietnam war (Fake news), to Afghans in 9-11 (Fake News) and the Iraq invasion (more Fake News)

Most of the news media is at war with Donald Trump, and rightly so. First, journalists should always be at war with the governments they cover.

Remember that when your government will present an attack against Iran, Venezuela or Russia as justified... ;-)
    Brake harder. Go faster. No shit.

massivebrakes.com

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Massiv...78417442267056

This article is 100% spot on. Thanks for sharing!
    Estoguy
    1986 BMW 325, Alpenweiss ~ "Elsa"

Need a photographer, come visit my site: http://estoguy.wix.com/unique-perspectives

Comment

Yeah. I'm pretty sad that the internet has been completely taken over too. Does anyone remember the wild west days of the internet? After the rise of broadband and before the patriot act really took hold? Like 97-2004. Man. The internet had this boundless freedom to it. I thought it was going to be this glorious new age, maybe it was the naivete of my teenage years too. Lol nope. Just more of pick up that can citizen. It wasn't even that long ago when reddit could be trusted, but now everything is super moderated. Articles trend by dollars, not votes. I'm not even sure the memes are real anymore.

What's going to be the next bastion, the next hold out of freedom? It's just sad how all of them eventually sell out. Money is a hell of a thing.
      AWD > RWD

Comment

FWIW even though many people suspected it, it wasn't known that the Gulf of Tonkin events were fabricated until the 2000s when it was declassified. IMO not a case of media perpetuating fake news because the government was the sole reporter of the incident. Probably should have been more critical but I think many times in our history we've been so worried about stopping communism that we took the government's word at face value.

Comment

That's exactly what happened with Iraq too. First they were responsible for 9/11. Anyone who questioned this narrative back then (like me) were drowned out in a sea of patriotic groupthink. The nation was hungry to punish somebody and it really didn't matter who. Then they weren't responsible for 9/11, but they WMDs and they were going to attack us. Then they didn't have WMDs, but they did have ties to al-qaeda. Then it turns out they hated each other. But by then were 5 years into the war.

It was ridiculous. I remember thinking, "how is everyone buying this?" But they were.
          AWD > RWD

Comment

Anyone who trusts their news outlets outright is a rube. Fake news is nothing new, it just has a new name and more public recognition. All of our news media corporations have definite agendas and are constantly getting caught doing everything from distorting of facts and taking out of context to outright fabrication. They don't even bother to retract when called on it. Whether you agree or disagree with trump's politics, for better or for worse the excoriation he is giving the media is fully deserved, and it has served to raise the issue in the public's eye. Unfortunately instead of acknowledging there's a problem it seems that the widespread reaction from these companies is to get hysterical and double down.

IG @turbovarg
            '91 318is, M20 turbo
            [CoTM: 4-18]
            '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
            - updated 1-26

Comment

Originally posted by varg View Post
              Anyone who trusts their news outlets outright is a rube. Fake news is nothing new, it just has a new name and more public recognition. All of our news media corporations have definite agendas and are constantly getting caught doing everything from distorting of facts and taking out of context to outright fabrication. They don't even bother to retract when called on it. Whether you agree or disagree with trump's politics, for better or for worse the excoriation he is giving the media is fully deserved, and it has served to raise the issue in the public's eye. Unfortunately instead of acknowledging there's a problem it seems that the widespread reaction from these companies is to get hysterical and double down.
              The media is certainly a problem. The funny thing though is that it's the Republicans most easily manipulated by it. Look at how they reacted to Benghazi, or Hillary's email server or anything that Obama said during his 8 years as President. No one had any opinions of their own, they just repeated verbatim whatever Fox News or Rush Limbaugh had to say. All rationality went out the door. It's unbelievable.

But now all of a sudden, because the Cretin in Chief says so, the media is just lies. This is textbook authoritarian behavior. And the Republicans, the so-called defenders of liberty, are buying it even after believing all that shit the media said about Hillary. What in the fuck is wrong with these people?
              Last edited by LBJefferies; 02-20-2017, 09:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by LBJefferies View Post
                The media is certainly a problem. The funny thing though is that it's the Republicans most easily manipulated by it. Look at how they reacted to Benghazi, or Hillary's email server or anything that Obama said during his 8 years as President. No one had any opinions of their own, they just repeated verbatim whatever Fox News or Rush Limbaugh had to say. All rationality went out the door. It's unbelievable.
                Are your eyes/ears painted on? Have you not seen how the lefties are acting since Trump decided to run for office?

Comment

Originally posted by Hooffenstein HD View Post
                  Are your eyes/ears painted on? Have you not seen how the lefties are acting since Trump decided to run for office?
                  The difference is that Trump is a legitimately bad person. The media doesn't need to do anything to manipulate opinions of him other than put a microphone on him and point a video camera at him. Anyone with half a brain knows that Trump is a horrible human being.

Comment

The difference is that Trump is a legitimately bad person. The media doesn't need to do anything to manipulate opinions of him other than put a microphone on him and point a video camera at him. Anyone with half a brain knows that Trump is a horrible human being.
                    There he goes proving my point.

Comment

There he goes proving my point.
                      What point is that? I'm saying the media doesn't need to manipulate opinions with Trump. He just has to open his mouth to show everybody what a piece of shit he is.

Comment

What point is that? I'm saying the media doesn't need to manipulate opinions with Trump. He just has to open his mouth to show everybody what a piece of shit he is.
                        That lefties act like petulant children because they're so easily manipulated by biased media.

Comment

Holmes is mad at life hoof
                          Trump is the latest obsession
                          “There is nothing government can give you that it hasn’t taken from you in the first place”
                          Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by gwb72tii View Post
                            Holmes is mad at life hoof
                            Trump is the latest obsession
                            Oh I'm not mad at life. I personally have everything I could ever need. But I'm worried for my country like never before in my life. Trump is a dangerous individual and the fact that Republitards don't notice that they are being conned is perhaps the most alarming part.

Comment

That lefties act like petulant children because they're so easily manipulated by biased media.
                              Did you even read what I said? The media doesn't need to manipulate opinions on Trump. They just need to point a camera at him and nothing more and he shows America who he really is. No manipulation being done there. Trump is an objectively bad person.

Comment

Working...
                              X