• Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Its only ok if my team does it"
    1989 BMW 325is | 2019 Ford Ranger FX4
    willschnitz

Comment

Originally posted by nrubenstein View Post
      Do you not remember the GOP holding up the nomination of Merrick Garland by refusing to allow it to go to the floor? Are you claiming that that is somehow less novel?
      Different situation though. The Dems didn't control congress and thus were in no position to shove it through. The GOP used what tools they had at the time.

So yes, it is less novel.
      Si vis pacem, para bellum.

New Hawtness: 1995 540i/6 Claptrap
      Defunct too: Cirrusblau m30 Project
      Defunct (sold): Alta Vista

79 Bronco SHTF Build

Comment

Originally posted by marshallnoise View Post
        Different situation though. The Dems didn't control congress and thus were in no position to shove it through. The GOP used what tools they had at the time.

So yes, it is less novel.
        The ultimate consequence of this is that no President will be able to expect to appoint an SC Justice through a Senate not under his/her party's control. Which is fine, but it's just going to be how it is from now on.
        2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD LBZ/Allison
        2002 BMW M3 Alpinweiß/Black
        1999 323i GTS2 Alpinweiß
        1995 M3 Dakargelb/Black
        - S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
        1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan
        1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black

Hers: 1996 Porsche 911 Turbo Black/Black
        Hers: 1988 325iX Coupe Diamantschwartz/Black 5spd

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by nrubenstein View Post
          The ultimate consequence of this is that no President will be able to expect to appoint an SC Justice through a Senate not under his/her party's control. Which is fine, but it's just going to be how it is from now on.
          Unless there is consensus on the nominee. There has been a "like for like" replacement strategy. Garland was not a Scalia type judge and it would have shifted the balance of the supreme court. I am thinking that was the logic in not shoving him on through.

Now, if the next one to leave the court is one of the liberal judges, then there will be hellfire from the left. I too am surprised the Dems decided to filibuster on this choice. But its their bed to sleep in.

79 Bronco SHTF Build

Comment

Originally posted by marshallnoise View Post
            Unless there is consensus on the nominee. There has been a "like for like" replacement strategy. Garland was not a Scalia type judge and it would have shifted the balance of the supreme court. I am thinking that was the logic in not shoving him on through.

Now, if the next one to leave the court is one of the liberal judges, then there will be hellfire from the left. I too am surprised the Dems decided to filibuster on this choice. But its their bed to sleep in.
            Meh. I am sick of hearing about the worthless filibuster. Good riddance.

Simple majority is what it will be. The ability to prevent a hearing for a nomination should be removed. Complete troll tactic regardless of who is doing it. I hope McConnell gets cancer in his turtle testicles.
            sigpic
            Gun control means using both hands
            Sex, Drugs, Rock 'n roll. Pick two.

Comment

Originally posted by Dagamus(NM) View Post
              Meh. I am sick of hearing about the worthless filibuster. Good riddance.

Simple majority is what it will be. The ability to prevent a hearing for a nomination should be removed. Complete troll tactic regardless of who is doing it. I hope McConnell gets cancer in his turtle testicles.
              I listened to about 12 hours of the complete bullshit that the judiciary committee was dishing out when they were interviewing Gorsuch. It really had less to do with interviewing and more to do with political posturing. The whole process is a farce.

And I don't wish McConnell gets cancer, but I want him gone and I want Ryan gone too. Probably for different reasons than you.

79 Bronco SHTF Build

Comment

I don't like either of them either, and haven't for a long time, what's your reasoning?

I also think the nomination process is just a chance for various politicians to circle-jerk each other and enhance their celebrity. Should just be an up or down vote, it's all along party lines at this point anyway, why waste anyone's time trying to "investigate credentials"

Maybe I'm cynical about it, but I just don't see the point in any of it.

Comment

Originally posted by mbonder View Post
                  I don't like either of them either, and haven't for a long time, what's your reasoning?

I also think the nomination process is just a chance for various politicians to circle-jerk each other and enhance their celebrity. Should just be an up or down vote, it's all along party lines at this point anyway, why waste anyone's time trying to "investigate credentials"

Maybe I'm cynical about it, but I just don't see the point in any of it.
                  I agree with you about the nomination process. It is a circle-jerk.

McConnell and Ryan are establishment, big government, elite "r"epublicans. They don't like Trump because he is an outsider. So they are blocking shit every opportunity.

79 Bronco SHTF Build

Comment

Working...
                  X