Lagunengrun 325i

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lagunengrun 325i

Long story short I haven't owned an e30 for about two years after being rear ended in my Euro bumpered 325 coupe, but I have been hoarding parts for awhile and had plans to get another e30. So one Friday morning, anticipating a long boring summer ahead of me, I was looking through offerup of all things and found this nice little gem. Contacted the seller, met up with him the next day and brought the car home.

1991 Lagunengrun 325i
    145k miles
    Automatic
    Paint is peeling and fading
    Sat for 8 years in a hangar and 2 outside
    Doesn't start - told a tested and known faulty starter was the issue

Progess may be a little slow on this due to lack of tools, but I'll be using this thread to update as I go along. I know r3v likes pictures so here's some from the first day I picked her up.

Last edited by mbonanni; 05-23-2018, 03:15 PM.

A little update:

I pulled the valve cover off to see if perhaps the timing belt snapped and was the reason they stored it, but all looks good and pleasantly surprised to see a new looking gasket on there as well. Behind the radio was not as pleasant, a nest of wires Ill have to go through. I also found a chilton manual with a bunch of pages saved and a few papers explaining work done.

This week I am finishing up finals so I won't be able to get much done, but this Saturday I'll be going back home and picking up a ton of spare parts I have to start putting in some work.

Last edited by mbonanni; 05-17-2017, 01:49 PM.

Comment

Always interesting to see what hackjobs have been wrought up stock E30 radio wiring.
      1991 318is Brillantrot daily driver (slow restoration)

Comment

Yeah, not sure what he was trying to do back there.

I got a battery hooked up to test out and see what works. Most everything works but theres a few things ill have to check out. Windows, sun roof, and blower motor don't work, as well as cabin lights (probably bad/old). The door chime is still there, and I know most people hate it and remove it but I might keep it. I am also pleased to say all the central locking system works from both the drivers door and trunk.

I went to my parents place yesterday where I keep all my e30 parts and got a few starters to try and fix the no crank, new spark plugs, timing belt, waterpump, gaskets, aftermarket ignition wires, new control arms, tie rods, end links, m3 cabs and a few more things. Going to focus on getting the car running this week before I dive into the suspension though. I also have new brake rotors, pads, hr sports and bilsteins at the house that will eventually be going on.

Also found this, Are these exposed wires for the cruise control, is that what that is? Haven't had an e30 with cruise for awhile.

Comment

Got some work in yesterday. We managed to get everything removed to put a new timing belt, tensioner, waterpump, and starter in.

Comment

1991 Lagunengrun 325i

Was able to get the old starter tested today, turns out it works, but the gear doesn't move out. Would I have been able to hear it turning when I tried starting before?

I also got my spare starter installed today. Turns out the extra one I had is from an early model and had three post instead of four. I wired it up normally and capped the extra wire, I believe this just allows for the accessories to be utilized while the car is being cranked.

Unfortunately I was getting no crank, the solenoid wasnt clicking or anything. I got the started tested this morning so I know its good.

When I try to start the car or jump the two posts on the starter with a screwdriver I can hear the relays click. So prettymuch I am left to a no crank issue, any opinions on what it could be? Could it be the extra wire hanging or possible bad relays? Could a bad cps cause the issue? Bad ignition?

Comment

You should be able to jump from power (main starter post) to the trigger wire post (black/yellow wire from ignition switch) and it will turn the starter/engine. You don't need cps or any relays to be working to do that! :up:

Love the laguna! Bring it back!

-NICK

Comment

1991 Lagunengrun 325i

Based off this picture I tried jumping from 3-2 and then 3-1 and all I got was clicking in the relays.

Perhaps a noob question, but do batteries come charged from the store? First time needing to buy new.

Last edited by mbonanni; 05-27-2017, 04:17 PM.

Comment

Should be jumping from 3 to 1. Don't go 3-2 because that's dead shorting the battery wire (2 is the solenoid ground) :p lol

In my 4 years of battery selling I only had maybe one dead one off the shelf. They all should come fully charged.

-NICK

Comment

1991 Lagunengrun 325i

Ahh, well I definitely did that at first. Could that have hurt something jumping those two?

Guess ill have to pull the starter and get it tested somewhere else. Unless my wires aren't connected correctly? I believe ive got a large red and large black wire connected to post 3 then another medium sized black wire connected to post 1. Smallest wire is capped off. I also tried connecting this wire to post 2 and got nothing from that.
                    Last edited by mbonanni; 05-27-2017, 05:27 PM.

Comment

Figured it out, I have no ground cable from the engine to the body. Made sure this was the issue by connecting some jumper cables from the engine to the body and she finally cranked over.
                      Last edited by mbonanni; 05-29-2017, 03:11 PM.

Comment

Got everything put back together today, went real smooth. It's amazing what can be done with a simple tool set on these cars.

Unfortunately I cannot get her to start or even catch a little. Cranks over just fine and has spark so I know those aren't the issue. I believe there is an issue in the fuel delivery somewhere. When I was checking for spark the plugs weren't wet at all. I pulled the back seat and tried to hear the fuel pump but cant hear anything, I should be able to hear this thing with the key in position two right? Could jumping the wrong posts on the starter have damaged my main relay?

Comment

1991 Lagunengrun 325i

Got a fuel pump from another r3ver today and was able to get the car running. Had to switch out two sets of injectors because they weren't spraying. Guess I've got like 12 bad m20 injectors, I'll probably donate them to the guy in here that rebuilds them and see if he can do something with them.

I need to order a few hoses, all new fluids, and put some more gas in then Ill try to run it again. Does anyone know if these automatics are serviceable, or should be serviced? I vaguely remember reading somewhere it's best to not change the tranny oil, maybe Im trippen.
                          Last edited by mbonanni; 06-10-2017, 05:31 PM.

Comment

I've got the car to run and idle, but definitely have a misfire. I checked for spark and fuel in each cylinder and they all checked out individually. I believe I am getting the misfire in cylinders 2, 4, and 6. I tried swapping plugs from cylinder 1 & 2 thinking it was the plugs had fouled, but it still missed in 2.

I did just do the timing belt, could this possibly be a culprit? Maybe I was off by a tooth? I took a lil video and I'll try to post it in a minute. Excuse the lil vacuum sound, while I was removing the valve cover earlier I broke the line. /: Cold this be the culprit? It was running rough before I broke it.

Here is a clicky link while I try to figure out how to embed correctly

Last edited by mbonanni; 06-19-2017, 12:58 PM.

Comment

Double check timing if you're not 100% sure.
                              IG: deniso_nsi Leave me feedback here

Comment

Working...
                              X