Does anyone have a spare 4.10 diff??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does anyone have a spare 4.10 diff??

Because I think mine is shot, and I would like to drop another one in just to see if it fixes the horrible clunking problem with on/off torque.

I have a 4.10 lsd.
    sigpic

Comment

but you are in Portland!!!

Comment

i have a great condition small case diff cover and bushing if your intrested. make sure its not your bushing instead of the whole diff.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by xwill112x View Post
          i have a great condition small case diff cover and bushing if your intrested. make sure its not your bushing instead of the whole diff.
          what bushing? you mean the external bushing that mounts the diff to the body of the car? if so, Its a brand new polyurethane unit from AKG.

Comment

are you getting any vibrations?
            if yes, i'd look at guibo/CSB first.

However, if not, then I'd start cruising junkyards and yank one of them.

edit: you also should be able to tell how 'clunky' the diff is, by jacking up the rear with parking brake off. grab a wheel and rotate forward/backward LIGHTLY, such that you stop rotating once it begins exerting force on the gears and turning them. you're basically checking for 'play' in the gears. a certain (small amount) is normal, but if it's too loose than you'll know that your diff is wonky.

I used the above method to confirm a shitty CV axle, and after replacing, to confirm/note a diff that's a little sloppy on the driver's side.

side note: I'm also assuming you've checked/refreshed your diff fluid. If not, do eeet! but watch out after getting it warmed up via driving; it will be under pressure and shoot everywhere when the plug is removed. (smells awful)
            Last edited by ZombiE30; 05-13-2010, 09:34 AM. Reason: not done yet
            Originally posted by stoliver54
            Aw, balls.
            FS: assault gear....
            http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=159253

Comment

Thanks, Pete. Nope, didn't change the diff fluid. no vibrations, just the sharp clunk when applying torque. Brand new Guibo. Will new fluid actually help in this case?

Comment

it may help. at the very least check the fluid level, and if necessary, fill it up. then listen for clunk. cheaper and easier than swapping diffs right off the bat.
                Originally posted by stoliver54
                Aw, balls.
                FS: assault gear....
                http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=159253

Comment

i have a few, send me a pm if youre interested

Comment

I have a 4.1 open diff, pm me it would be really, really cheap. 127k on it...

Looking for a clean e30 shell for a project.

Comment

Working...
                    X