Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CA sales tax on private party car transactions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CA sales tax on private party car transactions?

I just bought a car from a California estate sale. The Nevada (where I live) DMV says that they can't issue me a title, the California DMV will have to title it since the dead guy lived in CA.

So, in Nevada, we don't pay sales tax on cars bought from private parties. Is it the same in CA, or is the CA DMV going to hit me up for sales tax?
    "If the sky were to fall tomorrow, the tall would die first."

-Dr. Paul Forrester

Do I LOOK like I need a psychological evaluation???

I had to pay sales tax on mine when I got the title transferred.
    1989 325i Alpineweiß II

Comment

Originally posted by funcrew View Post
      I just bought a car from a California estate sale. The Nevada (where I live) DMV says that they can't issue me a title, the California DMV will have to title it since the dead guy lived in CA.

So, in Nevada, we don't pay sales tax on cars bought from private parties. Is it the same in CA, or is the CA DMV going to hit me up for sales tax?
      In CA, you pay sales tax on the reported sale price listed on the paperwork.
      "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
      88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
      89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
      91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

*cough* you only pay on what you "report" buying the car for. putting down on the paper only 1/2 want you paid can save a lot.
        Much wow
        I hate 4 doors

Comment

my e30 was '$400'
          1989 325is / 2.7, 274 cam, e30 M3 5-lug
          1989 LN106 Hilux / 3.0TD SFA
          1974 2002tii / stock
          2002 IS300 / 5spd LSD

Comment

i put i paid 100 bux for my vert, trans fees plus sales tax came out to 25 bux :D Be smart and dont EVER put what you piad for the car. I learned that the hard way with past cars.

Comment

fuggin california, up here we have to pay taxes and a temp business license if you have garage sales

Comment

Originally posted by bmwstephen View Post
                fuggin california, up here we have to pay taxes and a temp business license if you have garage sales
                Now that is BS
                Custom Made Skid Plates For Sale.
                http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=111469
                http://raceskids.com/

Comment

Only people who constantly sell stuff from garage sale have to do that, a 1 time thing I don't think anyone will bother you.
                  "I wanna see da boat movie"
                  "I got a tree on my house"

Comment

Thanks to all for the info.

It turns out I reached a title guru at Nevada DMV HQ in Carson City. She said the local DMV branch idiots were full of crap. Said to sit my ass in the seat and "Don't take no for an answer, and do not for any reason lift your butt out of the chair until they title your California probate-title car." A rare case of a government worker who knows what she's talking about and not afraid to say so.

Bottom line - no sales tax. This was for a low-mile 2007 Passat, so the taxes would have sucked.
                    "If the sky were to fall tomorrow, the tall would die first."

-Dr. Paul Forrester

Do I LOOK like I need a psychological evaluation???

Comment

in california , you pay sales tax for taking a shit.

Comment

Paid "$15" for my latest e30. Ended up being $16 to transfer the title.

07 Designio E63 AMG / 1984 318i (M20Swapped)

Comment

Working...
                        X